This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Muslim proselytisers plan to attend Atheist day in Ireland

Muslim proselytisers plan to attend Atheist day in Ireland - Comments

Big Gus's Avatar Comment 1 by Big Gus

"The conference is based around the false assumption that atheism is the natural conclusion of a rational human being, however we strongly believe that Islam is the world view that not only makes more sense but also establishes tranquillity in the hearts of those who embrace it."

Guffaw!

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:17:58 UTC | #633514

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 2 by Andrew B.

If anyone here is attending the International Atheism, please think about grabbing some pamphlets and posting the contents here. I'd like to know what Muslims consider to be good arguments in favor of their religion (although I suspect they won't be much different from the ones I've heard already).

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:19:34 UTC | #633515

zengardener's Avatar Comment 3 by zengardener

The team have also prepared and written a leaflet specific for the conference entitled "Do we have good reasons to believe?" which highlights how science and rational thinking leads to Islam. This leaflet will also be distributed outside the venue.

Any chance we could get a look at this leaflet?

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:21:16 UTC | #633516

sanban's Avatar Comment 4 by sanban

books explaining the rational foundations of Islam ...and...a leaflet ...which highlights how science and rational thinking leads to Islam.

Free blank paper for those attending the Atheist conference, then. I just might change my mind about religios.

the dawah should respond in a manner that befits our tradition and the behaviour of our pious predecessors.

Have the authorities been notified of this terrorist threat?

those who misrepresent Islam

We already know what the religion of peace has in store for those of us that it sees in this way.

and who may be blinded by its veracity and depth.

Ah, yes! The "you just don't understand it" claim. Been there, heard that, recognized it as the Courtier's Reply http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/12/the_courtiers_reply.php

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:31:04 UTC | #633519

The Plc's Avatar Comment 5 by The Plc

Good luck to them I suppose. I wonder how they managed to fit in their leaflets all the rigorous evidence and arguments they would need to demonstrate the truth of an all powerful, anthropromorphic diety who made an illiterate fifth century cave dwelling failed merchant his ape messenger on this insignificant speck created from the violent and pointless explosive death of stars billions of years ago, while discounting all the thousands of other sects who have made approximately similar and entirely unoriginal claims in their history. I suppose they have to keep such things simple, for obvious reasons.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 00:25:00 UTC | #633528

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 6 by Steve Hanson

And if we respond with the threats and actions of violence they have inflicted upon everyone else, will we be meet with the same kind of fearful "respect" given to them? Any tolerance for beheading the opposition? No, they'd actually try to stop us.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 00:29:49 UTC | #633530

helena!'s Avatar Comment 7 by helena!

I watched this the other day one of the atheists groups posted it on FB. It shows this islamic pastor imam whateveryoucallthem speaker talking an awful lot about atheism and is really defensive about it. This shows the kind of (non)thinking they do and how they continue to try and sell the islam stuff. It's obvious this speaker has been getting a lot of questions about atheism and show that young people are very curious about it. He's trying to snuff any questions.

It's brutal to watch but I was curious myself what they are on about at these things. The title is ridiculous "Should I Believe in God".

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 00:32:08 UTC | #633531

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 8 by mirandaceleste

Their painfully ridiculous leaflet is here: http://www.iera.org.uk/pdf/Do_We_Have_Good_Reasons_to_Believe.pdf

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 00:53:02 UTC | #633536

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 9 by QuestioningKat

I hope this will be a peaceful conference - during and after the event has ended.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:03:10 UTC | #633540

ajs261's Avatar Comment 10 by ajs261

From said leaflet:

"The Qur’an always mentions nature as a sign for God’s existence, power and majesty. ."

I always find it sad when I read things like that. I find it much more magnificent that such things have developed without an omnipotent creator. As well as the fact it is a downright lie of course.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:07:42 UTC | #633541

A Posteriori's Avatar Comment 11 by A Posteriori

Have just printed out the leaflet and taken a dump on it.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:17:12 UTC | #633544

Jice's Avatar Comment 12 by Jice

Someone should dress up in corderoy with a patch on the elbow and give the leaflet back with red pen markings on it and a giant 'F' with a circle around it. If they are going to hand in a paper with that many mistakes it should be graded and put in thier permenent file. Not to mention they got all their sources from a single book. That's like staling an essay of wikipedia, dispicable. I vote Brigstoke.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:24:08 UTC | #633545

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 13 by Andrew B.

Comment 8 by mirandaceleste :

Their painfully ridiculous leaflet is here: http://www.iera.org.uk/pdf/Do_We_Have_Good_Reasons_to_Believe.pdf

Oh Jesus.

-KCA -Bare assertion of a "non-physical state" -Bare assertion of the superiority of the Qur'an -Assertions of "scientific content" -Appeal to consequences

That's it?

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:33:01 UTC | #633548

Net's Avatar Comment 14 by Net

that leaflet reads rather like some student essays i've had the misfortune to have to read. it gathers together cogent and cohesive bits and pieces from all over, strings them together with nice transition signals, all as if the mere presence of these elements is enough to make an argument. it's all surface stuff, much like rocks and a road that make driving over it very bumpy. and eventually, you conk out and get nowhere.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:43:46 UTC | #633550

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 15 by mirandaceleste

Oh, and the press release quoted in the OP can be found here. That's where I found the link to the leaflet.

And they're calling their trip to Ireland "an emergency trip". Yeah...

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:46:29 UTC | #633551

Wake_Up's Avatar Comment 16 by Wake_Up

I've read leaflets like that before and they all keep going on and on and on but never get to the point or explain anything.. Seems to me that people who write religious propaganda like that do nothing than twist words together to get away from the question..

I'm not the smartest man in the world, so maybe its me... ?

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:59:31 UTC | #633555

Net's Avatar Comment 17 by Net

Comment 16 by Wake_Up :

I've read leaflets like that before and they all keep going on and on and on but never get to the point or explain anything.. Seems to me that people who write religious propaganda like that do nothing than twist words together to get away from the question..

I'm not the smartest man in the world, so maybe its me... ?

Wake_up, you couldn't have put it any better!! Actually, I'm the smartest guy in the world, and if something doesn't make sense to me, it's because it is nonsensical! Nah, not really the smartest! But, it never ceases to amaze me, that when I listen to smart, and I mean REALLY smart, guys like Dawkins or Harris, I can follow them. When it comes to hood-winkers, I've learned that I can't follow them, not because I'm NOT smart but because they simply do NOT make sense!

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 02:39:54 UTC | #633558

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 18 by Steve Hanson

An "emergency trip"? Are you fucking kidding me? Well, I guess it would be an emergency for them, because their position is really that weak.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 03:07:40 UTC | #633565

RDfan's Avatar Comment 19 by RDfan

LOL; the best jokes save the punchline for the last part of a sentence; love it.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 05:10:49 UTC | #633578

Dirty Kuffar's Avatar Comment 20 by Dirty Kuffar

"Blinded by Islam's veracity and depth"...perhaps this is a referance to the Taleban's habit of throwing acid in schoolgirl's faces ?

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 05:26:16 UTC | #633580

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 21 by ZenDruid

Great.

Having Catholic atheists and Protestant atheists is no longer enough. There must be Muslim atheists as well, in'sh'allah!

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 06:07:24 UTC | #633582

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 22 by Capt. Bloodeye

"...however we strongly believe that Islam is the world view that not only makes more sense but also establishes tranquillity in the hearts of those who embrace it...."

Tranquillity isn't what it used to be. Reading this caused me to laugh out loud.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 06:57:36 UTC | #633587

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 23 by TheRationalizer

I loved the bit where the leaflet claims the Quran tries to impose itself on the reader in a positive rather than negative way, and then immediately goes on to say that if you try to produce a single chapter like the Quran and fail you need to be aware of the eternal fire who's fuel is men and stones :D

I can't believe they used the mountains-as-pegs "miracle." This was the very same one Richard encountered at Madani High School in Leicester in "Faith school menace?" Those poor kids are being brainwashed with misinformation like this in their schools!

After watching it I made a video to those guys explaining why their miracle claims are bogus.... HERE - 5 min 48 is the relevant part if you wish to skip.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 07:40:41 UTC | #633598

Dr. monster's Avatar Comment 24 by Dr. monster

Comment 22 by Capt. Bloodeye :

"...however we strongly believe that Islam is the world view that not only makes more sense but also establishes tranquillity in the hearts of those who embrace it...."

Tranquillity isn't what it used to be. Reading this caused me to laugh out loud.

yer right. cold dead Tranquillity of the terrorist "martyrs" kind

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:49:48 UTC | #633625

aball's Avatar Comment 25 by aball

Comment 8 by mirandaceleste :

@Mirandaceleste

Thanks for the link. As you say, it is quite ridiculous. I am trying to count all the logical fallacies but I'm not sure I can count that far. In fact, if you want to teach kids logic, this leaflet would be an excellent exercise for them (spot the errors).

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:54:31 UTC | #633627

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 26 by irate_atheist

Fuck 'em.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:01:56 UTC | #633629

PrayForMe's Avatar Comment 27 by PrayForMe

"to deliver a message that Islam is not only the world view that will satisfy the thinking man but it will grant him that much needed tranquillity.

It's not quite so tranquil for the thinking woman though, is it? Or even the woman who dares to drive, or gets raped, or goes out on her own...

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:08:36 UTC | #633631

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 28 by Cartomancer

Can you imagine how the muslim community would react if the RDFRS came along to a big prayer meeting at a mosque, set up a stall, berated muslims going in about how stupid they are, asked to talk directly to the mullahs and imams, handed out leaflets and produced a press release of this nature?

I have a few ideas about how that would go. "Strident" and "intolerant" and "disrespectful" and "islamophobic" would be the least of the abuse heaped in our direction.

And yet... is anyone in the atheist community calling for any action to be taken against these muslim idiots with their logical fallacy stall and their year nine IT project leaflet and their hectoring language? No. There's some laughter, a little disgust and an overwhelming shrugging of the collective shoulders. Let them come we say. What harm can these itinerant tosh-peddlers do? It's not like they have a coherent viewpoint that stands up to critical scrutiny after all (if they did we would have invited them along officially).

Now which seems the most liberal, progressive, intellectually honest, confident and ethically sound group out of these two choices?

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:08:39 UTC | #633632

aball's Avatar Comment 29 by aball

Comment 28 by Cartomancer :

I have a few ideas about how that would go. "Strident" and "intolerant" and "disrespectful" and "islamophobic" would be the least of the abuse heaped in our direction.

Actually, if you did this in the UK, you'd be much more likely to recieve death threats. If you ignore them, somebody would no doubt execute the sentence. Then government would remind everybody that it is our duty to respect the religious beliefs of others and not incite violence - in other words it would be your fault.

In the words of somebody famous (Hitchins?) "Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. If you dispute this we'll kill you."

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:23:38 UTC | #633636

Anvil's Avatar Comment 30 by Anvil

Comment 28 by Cartomancer

itinerant tosh-peddlers

I'll use that, and offer up:

Peripatetic Purveyors of Putridity and Pish.

Anvil.

Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:28:53 UTC | #633637