This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Jesus opposed the minimum wage?

Jesus opposed the minimum wage? - Comments

keyfeatures's Avatar Comment 1 by keyfeatures

This is absolutely hilarious. I presume he's referring to the parable of the workers in the vineyard or some such. Which could equally be taken as an argument for a maximum wage (bet he would't be too keen on that one).

Nevermind. It's best not to get into it. We might as well debate the maxims of Winnie the Pooh. The more it snows (Tiddly Pom), The more it goes (Tiddly Pom), The more it goes (Tiddly Pom), On snowing.

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:52:58 UTC | #637701

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 2 by Andrew B.

Needless to say, regardless of your position on these particular issues, this is the rough equivalent of trying to read tax policy from chicken entrails.

That's a good one. I'll have to remember that.

Anyway, that whole "Well, Jesus said..." doesn't really matter. It's just an argument from authority and of course, applied selectively. Didn't Jesus also say something "abandon your family and give no though to tomorrow?" Should we take these words to heart as well? Based on the Federal spending of the last decade, I'm inclined to think some of us already have.

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:37:18 UTC | #637711

Munski's Avatar Comment 3 by Munski

This is about the same as interpretting things anyway one wants, in any fashion they want. The traditional view about Santa says that if I'm good, Santa will bring me toys or candy in my stocking. If I'm bad, I get a lump of coal.

But suppose I'm cold, and not hungry? I'd prefer the coal, to have something to burn in order to stay warm.

One can twist any stupid fable to fit their needs or support their cause.

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:48:27 UTC | #637717

verbrugge020's Avatar Comment 4 by verbrugge020

Watching people like that scares the living daylight out of me.. Because i know that all reason has left him and his friends a long, long time ago. Him, Michele and good ol Newt.. what a team. If they win we are funqed.. big time.

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:14:53 UTC | #637728

skiles1's Avatar Comment 5 by skiles1

I reject the idea that Jesus - if he existed - was someone who believed all people should be treated equally. Christianity is a bizarre hate group which seeks to disadvantage women, gender variant people, and nonbelievers. So perhaps this nutcase is right when he suggests that Jesus thought there should be no minimum to how badly you can treat those in your care, no minimum wage. However, as I'm sure most people will notice, Barton doesn't explain why such taxes are wrong other than to say that the Bible says they're wrong, which is no explanation at all. Personally speaking, I don't believe Jesus was the son of God, but even if he was, I could never worship someone like him, someone with a carpenter's understanding of sociology. I can't decide whether Barton is disguising religion as politics or instead disguising politics as religion, but he seems like he's never had an original thought in his life, everything is conservatism or Bible.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:12:09 UTC | #637739

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 6 by rjohn19

Funny stuff- or would be if not so disturbingly typical.

In the OT, Joseph had a coat of many colors. In the NT, Jesus (in typical NT oneupsmanship) is a true chamelion. He likes what you like and hates what you hate. There are over a billion different beliefs in Christ on this planet and no two are in complete agreement. But not one of these beliefs contradicts a single belief of any individual Christian. Holy Improbable, Batman- is that a coincidence or what?!?!?!

Here is a funny/odd story about that relating to your post.

I subscribe to a college football site here in the Deep South. Quite often, someone will start a discussion with "OT" for "off topic" and many of these are religious and/or right-wingnut in nature. About a month ago, one of these Christians posed the guilt-ridden question, "Where would Christ stand on universal healthcare?"

The only ones who opined he would be for it were me and the other two atheists on the board. The rest came out in droves citing inappropriate chapter and nonsequitor verse to explain why this supposed savior who healed people for free would insist upon a health care industry with a license to loot and pillage the populace as well as insisting upon the very Christ-like policy of reserving the finest care for the wealthy, who Christ said could not come to heaven on a bet.

They see what they want to see and they hear what they want to hear.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 04:10:58 UTC | #637773

Anvil's Avatar Comment 7 by Anvil

As one commentator aptly put it, it's like listening to the Taliban using the Quran.

Anvil.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:05:17 UTC | #637860

josephor's Avatar Comment 8 by josephor

What a disgusting little man.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:35:08 UTC | #637873

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 9 by Cook@Tahiti

Does he drive around with a 'Who Would Jesus Bomb?' sticker on his car?

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:45:52 UTC | #637875

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 10 by Dhamma

That's sanity defined: how do we solve a political issue in the 21st century? We guess what Jesus might have thought 2000 years ago regarding issues that have little to no relevance to the topic.

If we can't find a reasonable solution there, we're all out of options.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:07:18 UTC | #637878

Sensible's Avatar Comment 11 by Sensible

I don't have the mental capacity to begin to imagine that such incredibly deluded, stupid people actually exist. But they do! And they're the ones running he most powerful military country in the world. This is truly scary.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:09:39 UTC | #637894

Marcus Small's Avatar Comment 12 by Marcus Small

Comment 1 by keyfeatures :

Which could equally be taken as an argument for a maximum wage (bet he would't be too keen on that one).

Right there, although its more about generosity.

Nevermind. It's best not to get into it. We might as well debate the maxims of Winnie the Pooh. The more it snows (Tiddly Pom), The more it goes (Tiddly Pom), The more it goes (Tiddly Pom), On snowing.

Except that this supposedly influential man is not using the maxims of Winnie the Pooh. He is misreading, and it really is a blatant misreading, of the words of someone who still has large political influence in the US.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:44:58 UTC | #637906

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 13 by DocWebster

At what point do we simply recognize that all of these verse spouting morons don't care if what they say has a damn thing to do with jesus and just call them liars. David Barton is a liar, not a christian, not a historian, not even socially relevant, just a damn liar. I call on christians to cast this carbuncle on the ass of their beliefs out on his disingenuous fanny and slam the door behind him.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:56:36 UTC | #637913

sandman67's Avatar Comment 14 by sandman67

David Barton = David Irving

When you have the constitutional right to free speech sans the requirement to tell the damn truth Barton is the result. He thrives in an environment where education is a wasteland subject to over democratised non centralised school boards staffed by Don The Dentist and Joe The Plumber. He breeds ignorance in a country where opinion matter more than fact, and having shiny teeth in your mouth matters more than the words that come out of it. The land of Seeker faith, full of children playing with their rattles, clinging desparately to that oldy timey feelgood faithfullness and childish books of fairy tales. A country where classrooms full of kiddies every day mouth the most laughable of lies - Liberty And Justice For All - without ever realising what the word hypocrisy means.

As we say here in the Land of Smiles....Som Nam Na suckers!

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:04:10 UTC | #637916

Seashore's Avatar Comment 15 by Seashore

There are charlatans in all fields as well as the power hungry and greedy. Christian men and women who seek to use religion to control government are Christians in name only for Jesus did not teach his followers to change Rome but rather themselves. The workers in the field parable is about paying to the last ones called to work in the field the same as those who were called early into the field and worked the whole day. This is a religious parable and all sincere Christians recognize it as such. In fact, if we are to use the teachings of Christ to understand our relationship with government, all Christians would pay their fair tax since Jesus taught that we should give Caesar's things to Caesar, the tax, and God's things to God.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:04:49 UTC | #637950

Marcus Small's Avatar Comment 16 by Marcus Small

Comment 15 by Seashore

give Caesar's things to Caesar, the tax, and God's things to God.

yes but that's a trick answer to a trick question.

Given a world view that said everything belonged to God, nothing belonged to Caesar, thus render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar, really means render nothing to Caesar.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:30:24 UTC | #637962

Seashore's Avatar Comment 17 by Seashore

yes but that's a trick answer to a trick question.

Given a world view that said everything belonged to God, nothing belonged to Caesar, thus render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar, really means render nothing to Caesar.

Going to the source here and I let you believe what it is referring to. Much chicanery has been committed by religious leaders with regard to many things that Jesus taught. Please note the false compliment some tried to pay to Jesus in an attempt to get him to say what they wanted. Not too different from some Christian leaders today.

Mathew 22:16-21

"And they sent their disciples to Him, along with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that You are truthful and teach the way of God in truth, and defer to no one; for You are not partial to any. "Tell us then, what do You think? Is it lawful to give a poll-tax to Caesar, or not?" But Jesus perceived their malice, and said, "Why are you testing Me, you hypocrites?

"Show Me the coin used for the poll-tax." And they brought Him a denarius. And He said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" They said to Him, "Caesar's." Then He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:56:51 UTC | #637970

Marcus Small's Avatar Comment 18 by Marcus Small

Seashore, what do you understand by the term ‘kingdom of God?’

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:33:40 UTC | #637982

Seashore's Avatar Comment 19 by Seashore

Marcus Small,

Seashore, what do you understand by the term ‘kingdom of God?

In the famous prayer Jesus taught his followers, he said concerning the Kingdom:

Matthew 6:9,10 "Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 'Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven."

Your Kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven... I believe God's Kingdom is the rule of Christ on earth. Not the rule of men or women, nor Paul, nor Peter, nor the Pope nor any other religious entity. Only Jesus Christ.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:13:49 UTC | #638000

Marcus Small's Avatar Comment 20 by Marcus Small

Seashore, so if there is no other king but Jesus why would you want to render any taxes to a Caesar?

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:02:04 UTC | #638028

The Plc's Avatar Comment 21 by The Plc

I've always been very perturbed as to how the most communist religion ever invented became the religion of America's far right fanatics. Do these people never bother read their holy book or something?

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:07:59 UTC | #638034

Seashore's Avatar Comment 22 by Seashore

Marcus Small,

Seashore, so if there is no other king but Jesus why would you want to render any taxes to a Caesar?

Because Jesus said we should. He was a most reasonable man and reason dictates that we pay for services rendered.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:21:39 UTC | #638038

Marcus Small's Avatar Comment 23 by Marcus Small

services rendered? the occupation by a foreign power, or perhaps it was the aqueduct?

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:03:07 UTC | #638057

Seashore's Avatar Comment 24 by Seashore

Comment 23 by Marcus Small :

services rendered? the occupation by a foreign power, or perhaps it was the aqueduct?

LOL, take your pick!

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:13:20 UTC | #638061

reebus's Avatar Comment 25 by reebus

lol, i guess in a sense all religions deny the minimum wage since they all aspire to a 'slavocracy'.

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:49:51 UTC | #638111

Seashore's Avatar Comment 26 by Seashore

Comment 25 by reebus :

lol, i guess in a sense all religions deny the minimum wage since they all aspire to a 'slavocracy'.

The word is, Theocracy. Slavocracy is rule by slaves...something more akin to democracy than theocracy. ;) For are we not all the slaves of the majority who vote?

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:56:10 UTC | #638182

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Hanson

The Jesus figure of the Bible was pro-poverty, and a minimum wage helps (if only a very little bit) to help fight poverty (in its more extreme forms).

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:57:02 UTC | #638183

Seashore's Avatar Comment 28 by Seashore

Comment 27 by Steve Hanson :

The Jesus figure of the Bible was pro-poverty, and a minimum wage helps (if only a very little bit) to help fight poverty (in its more extreme forms).

Please provide a quote that Jesus was "pro-poverty." Advising against materialism is not a pro-poverty stance.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:02:24 UTC | #638186

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 29 by Tyler Durden

Comment 28 by Seashore :

Comment 27 by Steve Hanson :

Please provide a quote that Jesus was "pro-poverty." Advising against materialism is not a pro-poverty stance.

"Jesus said to him, If you will be perfect, go and sell your possessions, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." - Matthew 19:21

By selling one's possessions (to give to the poor), one is, by definition, pro-poverty, as one clearly has nothing of material possession - Pov-er-ty (noun) "The state of being inferior in quality or insufficient in amount."

Duh.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:23:49 UTC | #638193

Seashore's Avatar Comment 30 by Seashore

Tyler Durden,

You should continue reading: "But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property. And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

The young man was a rich man...Jesus tried to show him that his riches were a stumbling to him. Jesus taught balance not poverty nor riches but rather a balance between the two.

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:00:54 UTC | #638199