This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← It's much better to let a Somalian die

It's much better to let a Somalian die - Comments

Kasterfin's Avatar Comment 1 by Kasterfin

Ugh... What can you say? Other than this is one of the most extreme examples of religion-driven ethical myopia.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:41:24 UTC | #861259

bubbub's Avatar Comment 2 by bubbub

Nice work, that was hilarious! It's interesting how they try to appeal strongly to self interest (reward in paradise, pimped up camels, better reward for saving a soul vs saving a life) rather than altruism.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:54:36 UTC | #861264

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 3 by SaganTheCat

good work!

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:19:24 UTC | #861277

skeelo's Avatar Comment 4 by skeelo

Well done! You must be worried about missing out on those red camels though, surely?

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:58:49 UTC | #861289

educationsaves's Avatar Comment 5 by educationsaves

Sickening to listen to the argument that we should let people die so we can send more funds to their church. More proof we need to stamp out religion.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:00:22 UTC | #861291

milliee's Avatar Comment 6 by milliee

Another extreme example, and yet it is still so difficult to comprehend that these things are real and still going on today.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:13:27 UTC | #861296

Layla's Avatar Comment 7 by Layla

Comment 2 by bubbub :

Nice work, that was hilarious! It's interesting how they try to appeal strongly to self interest (reward in paradise, pimped up camels, better reward for saving a soul vs saving a life) rather than altruism.

Yeah. Amazing how they manage to turn something that should be about altruism and concern for your fellow man into self advancement and self interest.

Isn't it enough that something is a good cause? They make it sound like if their viewers weren't going to score points with God it would hardly be worth their while.

It's not so bad to ask for money when there's more worthwhile causes going on, because there's always going to be lots of extremely worthwhile causes going on at any one time and that would mean no one could ever ask for money for something that wasn't life-or-death. But to actually say to people who might be thinking of giving their money to starving people "Don't give it to them, give it to us instead"? That's pretty low.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:59:36 UTC | #861370

AsylumWarden's Avatar Comment 8 by AsylumWarden

Good work. I loved how angry the guy became when saying how muslims were so happy.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:29:42 UTC | #861406

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 9 by Ignorant Amos

Well done you for showing these gangsters up for the charlatans they really are.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:55:14 UTC | #861413

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 10 by TheRationalizer

It's also good to see that he admits around 70% of new American converts leave the religion, and around 40% of UK converts do too.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:57:45 UTC | #861415

Philster61's Avatar Comment 11 by Philster61

I hardly understood a word of what he said.......

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:09:07 UTC | #861427

Pitchguest's Avatar Comment 12 by Pitchguest

Haha, they almost caught you on? Brilliant!

This is excellent stuff. Had a good laugh. Thanks, Ed!

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:09:36 UTC | #861428

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 13 by All About Meme

That was classic. These deluded Muslim dweebs are so entrenched in their a priori assumption that Allah exists, that they proposed a scenario that was easily debunked by considering the logical possibility that Allah might NOT exist.

Even when "Edward Jones" made a clear, win-win case for donating to the Somalian, all these idiots could come back with was loud, nearly unintelligible bluster, followed by a quick stage hook to get this Jones character off the air.

Well done, Ed! You took their own clay, showed them it was only mud, and then threw it back into their foolish faces.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:12:44 UTC | #861431

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 14 by Steven Mading

Comment 1 by Kasterfin :

Ugh... What can you say? Other than this is one of the most extreme examples of religion-driven ethical myopia.

The sad thing is that the main premise makes perfect logical sense once you've "swallowed the kool aid" enough to believe in the premises of one of the afterlife-salvation faiths like Islam or Christianity.

Think about this: For the sake of argument, hypothetically what if their claims about the afterlife were true - that it lasted infinitely long and that it could be heaven or could be hell depending on what you believe and/or do while you're here on Earth?

Given that premise, the logic that any amount of Earthly suffering is perfectly justified if it saves a few souls for heaven makes perfect sense. In fact, if that premise was true, it would actually be more compassionate - like a doctor performing triage - to take the option that saves the most people for the afterlife and basically ignore their suffering in the finite Earthly life. (Because if you compare them, any finite amount of time, no matter how long, is the same as zero time when comparing it to infinite time).

It's perfectly logical, and very compassionate, GIVEN the premise that your religion's depiction of heaven and hell and the rules for how you get there are correct. The moral failure is contained entirely in the step that comes before that, of coming to the conclusion that this premise is true in the first place based on faith alone. It's this deliberate use of faith, this deception, that is where the moral failing is contained.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:21:17 UTC | #861433

skiles1's Avatar Comment 15 by skiles1

I wonder if they have close connections to the Islamists who were blocking aid to starving Somalians, or if they're just sympathetic to them.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:37:47 UTC | #861439

ike's Avatar Comment 16 by ike

a Somalian's body is merely "wet clay"

Meatware, to use the terminology of the A.I. guys

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:04:34 UTC | #861492

zengardener's Avatar Comment 17 by zengardener

:( Mr. Jones chopped of his handlebars.

I had to shave the soup strainer for the Mrs.

P.S. I love how you slowly, patiently and in simple words spoon fed them their medicine. The sad part was watching them spit it back up again.

Maybe another viewer caught on.

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 02:35:34 UTC | #861510

Roedy's Avatar Comment 18 by Roedy

The Jehovah Witnesses explained to me "rice Christians". They are people who would come to JW events for the food. The JWs felt this was fine. It let the rice Christians see the JWs behaving well, and would want to emulate them.

The red underpants people would have a point if they had any evidence at all that anything interesting happens after death, much less the Islamic version.

The notion that a loving god would punish after death simply because people were not exposed to some dogma or who rejected it as ridiculous makes no sense.

If there is any punishing, surely it would be for deliberate cruelty, e.g. refusing a starving person food. That suffering is real. Red Underpants suffering is imagined.

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 04:51:17 UTC | #861533

AnthropicConstance's Avatar Comment 19 by AnthropicConstance

Ed, It's hilarious but it's so sad too. Do the Muslims here even see how they tear their own theoretical Almighty out of his seat of judgment so they can sit there themselves? Doing evil feels good when you ARE God.

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 04:59:13 UTC | #861535

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 20 by lilalindy

4:15 'There's only really so much of this you can take.'

Actually, your timing was pretty spot-on. At 4:03 I was toying with the idea of clicking somewhere else on the progress bar to see something different. Few!

12:30ish - man on left texting: is he asking a friend or setting off a bomb? (sorry, couldn't resist that one >;->

13:01 - you cannot deny the existence of a God.

Mmm. They love this one (most people in the UK have been brought up in the Christian tradition and are familiar with this from successful or unsuccessful indoctrination attempts, even if you aren't a believer any more - their foot in the door) and if someone says that they are a Christian or pretty much any other theistic religion, they say that it is the same God (but essentially, you really should call Him by His proper name - 'Allah' - so that you don't piss him off too much.

I've found that you can undermine the 'all the same God' claim (and the warm feeling of comfort that it gives them in conversations) in some cases by going down the pandeistic route and say that the Theistic God is not the same as the Deistic God (and, if required, explain how) - an argument that they have not been prepared for (works well in shutting up JWs). The 'you say there is no God and you are wrong' argument is undermined.

13:30 - a Muslim is a happy man.

Mmm. A Muslim woman once asked me; 'Why are Muslim women's lives so hard?' Says it all really.

Nice one. They are going to be listening out for that Brummie accent next time.

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:06:18 UTC | #861564

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 21 by TheRationalizer

"They are all the same god" - sure, but they don't all agree on what that same god wants :)

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:08:35 UTC | #861583

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 22 by -TheCodeCrack-

Religion is such a drain on human minds and hands. All that effort and rituals poured into nothing.

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:52:42 UTC | #861618

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 23 by lilalindy

Comment 22 by -TheCodeCrack-

Religion is such a drain on human minds and hands. All that effort and rituals poured into nothing.

Not quite (although almost entirely) nothing - I think that many people enjoyed the amusing milk-drinking Ganesha videos from the part of the planet where education is still so blind to some things that capillary attraction is forgotten about in an instant if there is a miracle video to be made.

I wonder what the CO2 emissions are for that once-in-a-lifetime visit to Mecca are. How is Islam going to offset its carbon footprint? If it doesn't, there should be a campaign outing this vile, planet destroying religion (note that I am aware of the other ways in which is vile and planet destroying).

Maybe religions as a whole should be made to balance their carbon emissions - the carbon footprint of their red pants book should be a target (and none of that namby-pamby 'ooh the paper stock it is printed on has an FSC certification' bull either).

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:38:28 UTC | #861634

Dr. monster's Avatar Comment 24 by Dr. monster

i like how you ramped up the clever. mmm stealthy

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:35:33 UTC | #861674

VDubster's Avatar Comment 25 by VDubster

Was "come down to the office and see us" at the end just a little bit sinister?

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:31:00 UTC | #861688

stuartmatheson's Avatar Comment 26 by stuartmatheson

Its funny how religion is supposed to be such a glorious thing yet more people have died from religious wars than any other. It truly is sad. The slightest thing that goes right in the world is classified as a miracle, yet the thousands of people that die of starvation and thirst every day is ignored.

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:50:08 UTC | #861692

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 27 by aquilacane

Wow 5-2 against... ass kicking

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:47:40 UTC | #861725

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 28 by Rich Wiltshir

How would they justify the contribution from a gay perspective? Or a female's? Be interesting to ask for a woman to present the program.

Hence forth I'll accept every piece of paper they offer me; anything legal to deplete their resources.

Why couldn't they pronounce Alan Sugar properly?

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:48:34 UTC | #861726

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 29 by TheRationalizer

At the stupid level I was pretending to be homophobic about the man on the Internet wanting to send me a book about a man in red underpants.

I wish I had said "I'm not into that kind of thing, which is what attracted me to your religion" :)

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:02:43 UTC | #861771

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 30 by QuestioningKat

This is very disconcerting. This attitude of "releasing someone" that can be found in the words of Charles Manson - Helter Skelter and the Matrix. It's a really warped way of thinking and has nothing to do with being loving.

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:37:38 UTC | #861801