This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← US defence spending on evangelism

US defence spending on evangelism - Comments

skiles1's Avatar Comment 1 by skiles1

I think the batter way to look at, is that the US military has been infiltrated by the dominionist agenda, however, now we're fighting back thanks to the likes of Chris Rodda and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and, of course, Richard Dawkins, Ed Brayton and Rock Beyond Belief.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 00:44:53 UTC | #865376

mjs31's Avatar Comment 2 by mjs31

I'm so fucking outraged after reading that blog. We pay for so much bullshit for the military it makes me sick. I don't even think they need chaplains in the military much less all of this useless crap. I honestly had never heard of any "spiritual fitness" test however, even though they claim its part of all branches of the military, but I never took it so I'm not sure what they're talking about. It's probably just an Army thing. I'm all for getting rid of chaplains and chapels on military bases altogether. People should pay for that shit out of their own pocket, and the military shouldn't perform marriages for active duty for free either. What kind of message are they sending by saying "if you can't afford to get married we'll pay for it"? If you can't afford to get married don't fucking get married. This shit is ridiculous.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 01:04:23 UTC | #865385

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

Now there is fat that can be easily cut from the DOD budget and put onto some important projects, the US infrastructure, for one.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:36:22 UTC | #865415

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 4 by DocWebster

Nearly everyone I knew that went into the military became a dyed in the wool fundie. I was going to go into the army but recruiter made a joke about hiding my atheism or I would be scrubbing a lot of toilets on sunday and I backed out.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:14:09 UTC | #865427

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Hanson

@Neodarwinian, I agree that this is a place where we can cut some fat, but sadly, it'd be like a 600 lbs man losing maybe half a lbs: http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-under-fire-over-war-contracts-020229247.html

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:40:54 UTC | #865448

mjs31's Avatar Comment 6 by mjs31

Comment 5 by Steve Hanson

Every president since Reagan has increased military spending to the point that we now have a trillion dollar defence budget. Yet they somehow find a way to justify wasting even more money on things like those mentioned in the blog. There's a lot of fat trimming that needs to be done. I just don't see how we haven't learned from every other civilization in history that has been crippled by tremendous military spending. It's unsustainable over the long-term, these people need to come to grips with reality.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:48:52 UTC | #865549

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 7 by Steve Hanson

@mjs31, if only those people would read Sun Tzu's The Art of War, then they might get the hint. Hell, we've spent $1 trillion on the F-35, and we haven't actually gotten one out into the field yet, that's all development costs!!! Even if we were to get it, it'd never see combat (the also expensive F-22 doesn't either).

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:15:26 UTC | #865781

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 8 by Premiseless

It's a shocking abuse of public money that corrupts the powerful in their plight to be as frivolous as an oligarch. In fact that's what they are due their juggling massive amounts of cash.

Someone from Yeovil should go teach them English village economics.

Evangelicals eat your heart out at this guys 'speaking in tongues' (1min13s) that is his cast iron defense on a shoestring against evildoers.

Peace.

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:54:17 UTC | #865815

Roedy's Avatar Comment 9 by Roedy

The practical reasons for a military trying to indoctrinate it troops with a religion are:

1. soldiers are less frightened of dying, and hence more willing to take risk to kill opponents.

2. soldiers a less guilty about killing others. They are just prematurely dispatching them to the afterlife.

3. It excuses what is normally considered extremely evil behaviour. If you are doing something for god, the normal rules of right and wrong do not apply.

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:45:06 UTC | #866089

Roedy's Avatar Comment 10 by Roedy

One more reason:

1. The military can promise extravagant rewards for martyrdom without actually having to deliver anything.

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:47:06 UTC | #866090

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 11 by Ignorant Amos

Roedy you've excelled yerself this time. A lot of bollocks but anyway...

The practical reasons for a military trying to indoctrinate it troops with a religion are:

soldiers are less frightened of dying, and hence more willing to take risk to kill opponents.

You know this how?

soldiers a less guilty about killing others. They are just prematurely dispatching them to the afterlife.

You know this how?

It excuses what is normally considered extremely evil behaviour. If you are doing something for god, the normal rules of right and wrong do not apply.

FFS will ya behave?

The military can promise extravagant rewards for martyrdom without actually having to deliver anything.

Are ya serious?

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:55:42 UTC | #866092

Muldanian's Avatar Comment 12 by Muldanian

It is hardly surprising that the military and religion walk hand-in-hand. Both are forms of social control, and if a soldier can be taught that to obey his superiors, he is also obeying his god, so much the better for those in charge. A soldier is not expected to think for himself, but to obey orders. This is exactly what religion expects of its followers, so by combining the two, the power of authority is made all the stronger.

Sun, 04 Sep 2011 14:29:04 UTC | #867173

Sean the Sorcerer's Avatar Comment 13 by Sean the Sorcerer

I wouldn't worry too much about this. We Sith have a diabolical plan to overthrow the Christians here in the United States, take control of the military and begin building the Galactic Empire. The problem with Christianity is that is not a warrior religion, and can't defeat men of will and real spiritual strength. To quote the great Sith Lord Darth Sion: "I have studied them, and found nothing but weakness."

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:51:02 UTC | #868670