This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Naturally offensive

Naturally offensive - Comments

Lapithes's Avatar Comment 1 by Lapithes

The hospital probably hasn't much choice in this. And we (i.e. non-Victorians) can't force other people not to care about nudity. What we can do is harass hospital staff by making a giant scene over something very particular and ridiculous, for instance over the fact that people don't do the Macarena each time before sitting down somewhere, thereby devaluing the complaints of other silly people and straining the hospital to the point that they announce they will not be making people comply with absurd requests any longer. But that'd be an ambitious project.

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:26:45 UTC | #888210

Layla's Avatar Comment 2 by Layla

The one being offensive and disrespectful is the member of staff.

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:29:13 UTC | #888211

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 3 by aquilacane

Do what I do, demand they respect common sense. "I demand you respect reality!" You could say, "Women breast feed... fuck! Don't make me put this baby down, I swear... smarten up or shut up." Make a huge deal out of it if they don't leave you alone. Squeaky wheel and all that. Works like a charm, just watch the religious dingbats who do it; they get everything they want.

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:41:45 UTC | #888213

BenS's Avatar Comment 4 by BenS

What would have happened if she'd just said 'no'. She's not being abusive or threatening staff. The hospital staff (even security) can't manhandle her, that would be assault. They'd need to bring in the police to deal with the issue - by which time the baby would have been fed. If they're that concerned they'd have to erect some kind of barrier around her to prevent people from seeing.

Is there a potential bargaining chip here? "I'm going to breast feed my baby if I'm not seen in the next five minutes."

Maybe I could monetise this. Stand outside offering to hire babies to women going in to A&E so they'll be seen quicker. I'm going to be rich!

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:04:51 UTC | #888225

green and dying's Avatar Comment 5 by green and dying

This is outrageous and she needs to make a complaint to the hospital. I seriously doubt this is their official policy. It makes no sense.

If it really is someone's religion to never watch women breastfeeding their babies then they can leave the room, surely?

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:22:17 UTC | #888230

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 6 by Alex, adv. diab.

Of course, a hospital is exactly the place were bigots need to deny the base corporeality of ourselves the most. Next thing, they'll be forced to admit that they are naked under their clothes. Where will it end?

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:30:37 UTC | #888232

υβ' Vlaanderen's Avatar Comment 7 by υβ' Vlaanderen

This sort of nonsense is just another indication that certain religions are not only inimical to happiness and a rational society, but are in fact anti-human as well.

"And don't forget the lost 11th Commandment: 'Thou shalt be ashamed of thy natural anatomy.'"

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:32:09 UTC | #888233

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 8 by Alex, adv. diab.

Comment 7 by YB' Vlaanderen :

This sort of nonsense is just another indication that certain religions are not only inimical to happiness and a rational society, but are in fact anti-human as well.

"And don't forget the lost 11th Commandment: 'Thou shalt be ashamed of thy natural anatomy.'"

It is true of all abrahamic religions. What matters is only the degree by which they have been partially corrected by enlightenment values.

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:54:21 UTC | #888240

Fujikoma's Avatar Comment 9 by Fujikoma

Breast feeding is a natural function. I'd think that the hospital should just give the offended parties a point to the door so they could wait outside if they were that offended.

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:30:03 UTC | #888276

flamenco's Avatar Comment 10 by flamenco

"Firstly, what is your name?

Secondly, who told you some religions do not respect the right of a mother to breastfeed her baby?

Which religions do you have in mind?

Where can I see this in writing?

I will be in touch with a number of people, including my MP, the local health authority and the local and national press.

I will now feed my baby.

I expect you to respect my right to do so in peace.

Thank you."

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:31:56 UTC | #888278

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 11 by DefenderOfReason!

Breasts don't offend me.

:-)

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:41:30 UTC | #888284

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 12 by crookedshoes

I rather like breasts..... not the point, I know.... but, well I like them.

I want to echo a previous post, the person who is upset due to their religion can get up and move. All they'd have to do is sit BEHIND the woman where there is no sight line. WTF ?

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:03:44 UTC | #888307

ShadowMind's Avatar Comment 13 by ShadowMind

Two point:
1: I haven't done any research, but I would strongly suspect that all women from all religions breastfeed. So where's the problem?
2: I would have thought that a hospital, of all places, would be the most accepting of breastfeeding. Next they'll be telling injured people not to bleed on the floor or something...

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:36:22 UTC | #888344

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 14 by Stevehill

I resent sharing space in Accident & Emergency with stinking puking drunks who've got into a fight in a pub. Can't they make them wait outside or something?

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 22:13:00 UTC | #888377

MilitantApatheist's Avatar Comment 15 by MilitantApatheist

If you find anything about breastfeeding as "sexual" then you are the offensive one!

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:47:19 UTC | #888424

jon_the_d's Avatar Comment 16 by jon_the_d

injured man being rushed to theatre in agony: "Jesus Christ! Please! Something for the pain! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God!"

concerned nurse: "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you not to blaspheme in case you offend someone."

I can see it happening...

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:56:58 UTC | #888427

ShesTheBeth's Avatar Comment 17 by ShesTheBeth

Your friend should push back and do it formally, as in a written statement to the head administrator of the hospital and the LeLeche League, naming names and/or staff shift times so the staff member can be tracked down and reprimanded. It is not illegal to breast feed in public, so she should make as big a stink about it as possible. If she doesn't make it into a big deal, then the staff member will think he/she was in the right and will continue to use asinine judgement in similar circumstances. Not to mention, the religious group making such complaints will think they have the right to 'not be offended.' Also, she should make herself work on making scenes in public... it can be very freeing.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 00:25:38 UTC | #888438

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 18 by SaganTheCat

"needed to respect other religions"

now that's offensive

should women cover their faces in A&E as well? do they have a private room for any menstating women to lock themselves in?

Seriously if there is one place religion must stay out of it's a hospital

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:32:17 UTC | #888570

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 19 by Richard Dawkins

"needed to respect other religions"

That word 'other' worries me and so does 'respect'. 'Other' than what? What is the default religion which makes the word 'other' appropriate? What is this 'other' religion, which is being invoked in this high-handed, peremptory way.

It isn't hard to guess the answer. Islam. Yet again, Islam, the religion of peace, the religion that imposes the death penalty for apostasy, the religion whose legal arm treats women officially as second class citizens, the religion that sentences women to multiple lashes for the crime of being raped, the religion whose 'scholars' have been known to encourage women to suckle male colleagues so that they can be deemed 'family' and hence allowed to work in the same room; the religion that the rest of us are called upon to 'respect' for fear of being thought racist or 'Islamophobic'.

Respect? RESPECT?

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:47:38 UTC | #888634

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 20 by Richard Dawkins

I resent sharing space in Accident & Emergency with stinking puking drunks who've got into a fight in a pub. Can't they make them wait outside or something?

I think I'd prefer a stinking, puking drunk over someone whose religion makes them object to the sight of a woman's breast. Or the sight of a woman's hair or face. Or the sight of a woman's arm, or ankle.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:57:00 UTC | #888637

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 21 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Richard, how do you know the religion of the people in the waiting room was Islam? As appalling as Islam is, I could see Christians having a hissy fit about this too.

Julie

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:16:14 UTC | #888645

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 22 by Richard Dawkins

Why, in that case, would they have used the word 'other'? That's the only reason I presumed it was Islam.

Comment 21 by InYourFaceNewYorker :

Richard, how do you know the religion of the people in the waiting room was Islam? As appalling as Islam is, I could see Christians having a hissy fit about this too.

Julie

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:18:07 UTC | #888647

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 23 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Comment 22 by Richard Dawkins :

Why, in that case, would they have used the word 'other'? That's the only reason I presumed it was Islam.

Comment 21 by InYourFaceNewYorker :

Julie

Oh, you mean, then, that the people in the room weren't Muslim and the hospital workers were referring to them as belonging to "other" religions?

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:38:40 UTC | #888661

mr_DNA's Avatar Comment 24 by mr_DNA

I'm fairly sure breastfeeding in public ( and that includes hospitals and public transport) is a legal right in the uk, following the 1998 equality act brought in by Harriet Harmann.

'Breastfeeding mothers are also protected in law under the provision of goods, services and facilities section of the Sexual Discrimination Act when breastfeeding, whatever the age of the baby, in places such as cafes, restaurants, libraries, surgeries etc.' I don't think forcing women into private rooms would be an acceptable loop hole.

She could have fought her case, received compensation and more importantly an apology from the hospital. The staff member clearly doesn't understand the law. If it were me I would email the trust manager point out the law and ask for assurances it wouldn't happen again.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 17:03:51 UTC | #888670

bubbub's Avatar Comment 25 by bubbub

The most distasteful thing for me is that the nurse wasn't discouraging public breastfeeding because some members of the public in general find it indecent, but opinions of decency derived from religion are given a special status. I wonder if there'd be such a policy if religions had no position on the modesty/indecency, but it was just a diverse minority within the population as a whole who had a problem with it.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 18:48:31 UTC | #888719

jon_the_d's Avatar Comment 26 by jon_the_d

saying "other" religions may just be the nurse's own assumptions showing through, perhaps she's one of those who talk about Britain being a "Christian country".

alternatively, the nurse could have been meaning that whilst, obviously, the mother's own religion permitted breastfeeding in public other religions may not.

In both cases the word "other" makes sense.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:38:49 UTC | #888736

Chica1's Avatar Comment 27 by Chica1

What an awful and embarrassing situation to put a new mother in. It's no wonder that so many people choose not to breastfeed, when an incident like this could put someone off forever. In my opinion a strongly worded letter to the hospital manager is in order and if a satisfactory response is not received I'd go to the local MP or the local papers.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 20:41:43 UTC | #888756

AsylumWarden's Avatar Comment 28 by AsylumWarden

[Comment 14](/discussions/643793-naturally-offensive/comments?page=1#comment_888377) by  [Stevehill](/profiles/140407)          :

I resent sharing space in Accident & Emergency with stinking puking drunks who've got into a fight in a pub.  Can't they make them wait outside or something?

Sure, just say you're Islamic and Allah forbids you from being in a room with alcohol and claim the fact that you can smell it counts. If they question it, claim that they're ignorant of your religion and that that is no excuse. If it carries on simply play the racist or islamophobic card.

Seems to work every other time.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:50:47 UTC | #888773

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 29 by Alex, adv. diab.

Oh, she must have meant that other religion. you know the one I mean, that one that really hates women. and people.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:28:23 UTC | #888789

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 30 by -TheCodeCrack-

At a hospital, I would have put the health and wealthfare of my infant above respecting any set of superstitious opinions possessed my people.

It could of been much worse BTW, she could have reminded you to remove your shoes (in respect of the sacred-sandal 'religion'), and take off that green shirt (green-farians anyone?), before demanding you walk backwards instead of the natural forwards motion that HomoSapiens produce (does the order of the glorious hierarchy of the backward peddlers sound familiar? Well it should!).

No, I would have stared the rude lady directly in the face, than popped my tit out while saying 'respect this'.

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:44:18 UTC | #888794