This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← God as leader

God as leader - Comments

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 1 by rrh1306

"It’s time for a change in leadership."

That'd be cool. But theist think that their god is the only game in town so what's the use in complaining. You can either waste your time bitching about a situation you can't change. Or even better, you can rationalize all the seemingly negative stuff into something positive.

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:57:26 UTC | #890108

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 2 by Schrodinger's Cat

It’s time for a change in leadership.

You do realise that God will simply move on to a job with the European Commission ?

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:19:51 UTC | #890120

ollipehkonen's Avatar Comment 3 by ollipehkonen

Comment 2 by Schrodinger's Cat :

You do realise that God will simply move on to a job with the European Commission ?

Unless being thrown out of the EU equals an eternity in hell, the Greeks were not threathened with anything as bad as the bible promises.

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:03:37 UTC | #890138

MilitantApatheist's Avatar Comment 4 by MilitantApatheist

If God existed, he'd probably be a lawyer for Bernie Madoff

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:18:02 UTC | #890159

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 5 by Mr DArcy

If God is the leader, let's abolish leadership!

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:50:20 UTC | #890167

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 6 by Bernard Hurley

It’s time for a change in leadership.

I was under the impression he had already done that!

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:12:51 UTC | #890171

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 7 by QuestioningKat

Yes, you bring up good points. That is why God has changed over the centuries. It was once thought that God was feminine, Sophia, to some. But heirarchical, domineering men wanted to control everything, even reproduction, so traditional male roles and views were attributed to God. Women were cast as witches and temptresses. I've heard stories of Eve being compared to Gaia, Lilith and the Divine feminine. Women needed to be controlled ... Whether or not this is true, it seems as if the God story morphs into various cultures and whatever the current understanding is about human behavior, psychology, etc. Morph the God story into a middle eastern culture and the results reflect the culture. Morph the God story into a liberal, hippie, fairly educated middle class or better and you get some heavy New Age.

Some people have realized what you noted and have created new stories to justify the existence of some form of God. Many religions today have jumped onto the trend of God being loving, fair, visionary, good parent, and not the control freak of the Bible. This view of God is so fair that he's even sharing power with you. This God does not punish like the old God of the past. It is viewed that people of the past have simply misunderstood Jesus and other master teachers. They feel their view comes from an expanded more evolved consciousness and understanding.

Compelling Vision: This new God wants us all to live a great life and share in the beauty and wonder of this life. Love is where it's at. It wants you to co-create along with "him." He wants you to be happy, healed, and partake in the abundance of this world. He has set some spiritual principles in alignment with love. Follow them and your life will go smoothly. Separate yourself from God and others and the laws of cause and effect will result. You simply bring on hardships yourself.

Adaptation: This new God is totally in alignment with evolution. No one will dispute evolution since Consciousness is within everything - not a God outside of you. Evolution is an expansion of Consciousness. If we as a species can expand our Consciousness, we will be transformed into evolved beings shining love and light onto the world.

Accountability: Yes we are all accountable. All our choices are manifested into reality. Think good thoughts in alignment with truth and good will follow. Negative thoughts will result in undesirable effects. The same follows with action which stems from thought. Cause and effect. You will suffer the consequences or reap the rewards. When you have finally mastered creating love in your life you will end the cycle of your life death and rebirth.

Leadership has been changing. Open your eyes. It's a matter of how far these views will travel. I have already seen them adapted by Joel Osteen and the likes. My guess is that certain views will be absorbed by mainstream Christianity because some of their interpretations of the Bible are convincing to believers.

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 23:03:45 UTC | #890206

I'm_not's Avatar Comment 8 by I'm_not

Comment 3 by ollipehkonen :

Unless being thrown out of the EU equals an eternity in hell, the Greeks were not threathened with anything as bad as the bible promises.

The original post is wonderful, thank you! I think the clue lies here though, why YAHWEH? Bring back Zeus!

Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:01:22 UTC | #890245

1Sokkie's Avatar Comment 9 by 1Sokkie

You lost me at the first s/he.

Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:51:52 UTC | #890284

mmurray's Avatar Comment 10 by mmurray

Ah so praying is what is called "managing up".

Michael

Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:22:09 UTC | #890290

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 11 by Premiseless

The trouble with humans is they rarely realise they were taught a verb as if a proper noun. To do god is to teach the individual: to hook up their feelings about doing things to a randomly accidental non existent caricature; to generate friendship with feelings of others staked claim on aspects of the caricature they claim superior knowledge about, and to generally confuse the whole of being oneself with the non existent proper noun of the verbs you would otherwise be attempting to represent. God is the verb thief posing as the proper noun of who you would otherwise be. In this respect it is a language concept-comprehension problem that has humans trapped.

God is also the politics farmer of the subconscious. How to coral humans by getting humans to coral their own mindsets. How to manage large herds without the need for material cages. How to teach zoo till the animals lock their own cages.

Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:24:16 UTC | #890312

Zelig's Avatar Comment 12 by Zelig

Good OP.

The problem, of course, is that, despite all appearances to the contrary, God is man's servant, not leader. Underneath all apparent longings and commitments to transcendence lurks concrete, material expedients, needs, desires, and above all, pretexts. There is no transcendence for us, the very concept is paralogical. If we understood ourselves comprehensively we would consequently understand fully every single aspect of the God concept (which is not to say we could, as a species, necessarily leave it behind).

The God of the OT is essentially a "hidden God". One would perhaps think such a designation would count as an obvious weakness, but history shows no such thing.

Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:28:45 UTC | #890872

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 13 by Vicktor

They key question here should be: why does God, as a leader, demand worship? What the hell kind of motivational leadership is that?

Thu, 17 Nov 2011 03:54:33 UTC | #890922

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 14 by Rob Schneider

Frickin. Awesome. Post. This is a great premise to turn into a book!!

Thu, 17 Nov 2011 04:13:57 UTC | #890927

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 15 by Rob Schneider

@vicktor.. Holy Smokes! from your small avatar I thought you were wearing Peter Criss makeup!!

Thu, 17 Nov 2011 04:16:15 UTC | #890928

noigiler's Avatar Comment 16 by noigiler

Blockquote

Blockquote> Frickin. Awesome. Post. This is a great premise to turn into a book!!

Blockquote

@Rob S: Thanks, Rob. Very kind. Neither the time nor the skill to write a book but glad you enjoyed the post. BTW, another, embarrassingly overlooked leadership quality at which God fails miserably is visibility. Even if we take all the nonsense at face value, everyone will agree that he's been entirely absent for at least a couple thousand years.

Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:22:38 UTC | #891095

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 17 by Rich Wiltshir

I like your Newman Conjecture but would modify it thus:

Newman refers to authority figure because he lacks the knowledge and communication skills required to be persuasive. This figure has all the qualities Newman lacks, so Newman defers to her(him) in the "my dad's bigger than your dad" mindset. Newmans usually know there's no reality in the figure they use, but have seen other incompetents used it to great effect.

Newman is a liar, a fool, a bigot and a bully, lazy, corrupt and not capable of performing a similarly senior role in any organisation that would expose such dimwits as himself.

God isn't the crap leader. Newman is everywhere - not seeing, not knowing, just bullshitting through life at the expense of decent, honest and hardworking people everywhere.

Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:59:18 UTC | #891393

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 18 by Alex, adv. diab.

Hey, nice text. But, while that Newman guy is a pretty opportunistic asshat, Oldman is way worse! He's listening in on projects by the water cooler, and when people refuse to let him claim ownership, he goes and kills their firstborns with a hatchet and ravishes their wives and daughters.

• "It’s time for a change in leadership."
  • No thanks, chasing the old one away with torches and pitchforks is completely sufficient. I don't need a cosmic leader, and I would never accept the authority of one.

• "Is it motivational? It may be only my perception, but biblical sticks like the fire and brimstone of hell seem to be depicted more frequently and with far more texture than the upsides."
  • Heaven is the ultimate retirement benefit! Alas, I've never seen anyone actually receiving it, so it might well be a scam...

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:46:13 UTC | #893239