This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Spanish version of "La magia de la realidad" now available

Spanish version of "La magia de la realidad" now available - Comments

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 1 by Richard Dawkins

I hope it's a better translation than The God Delusion. Perhaps, in due course, bilingual friends will advise. Thank you Richard

Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:16:51 UTC | #903666

Rafa-ga's Avatar Comment 2 by Rafa-ga

Hello Quetzalcoatlus. By your name I assume that you are from a latin american country, maybe even Mexico. I want to ask you, if what I'm assumed is right, were you able to buy the book in the spanish store? Doe they ship overseas?

I have the Ipad version of the book, but I find a little bit hard to translate it to my 6 y.o. daughter, a spanish version is most welcome!

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 03:05:05 UTC | #904156

Cestriana's Avatar Comment 3 by Cestriana

I've also seen it on amazon.es. (De hecho, se puede comprar otros libros de RD ahí)

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:02:45 UTC | #904184

Rafa-ga's Avatar Comment 4 by Rafa-ga

Gracias Cestriana.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:19:37 UTC | #904278

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 5 by Quetzalcoatlus

Comment 2 by Rafa-ga :

Hello Quetzalcoatlus. By your name I assume that you are from a latin american country, maybe even Mexico. I want to ask you, if what I'm assumed is right, were you able to buy the book in the spanish store? Doe they ship overseas?

I have the Ipad version of the book, but I find a little bit hard to translate it to my 6 y.o. daughter, a spanish version is most welcome!

Fnac.es ships aboard, but it is very expensive as they use UPS. I am Mexican as you have correctly indicated, but I live in Europe.

On June I am going to Mexico, if by then you still need a copy of the book I could bring it to you.

PD: ¿Acaso tu también eres Mexicano?

Tue, 03 Jan 2012 08:37:50 UTC | #904818

Rafa-ga's Avatar Comment 6 by Rafa-ga

I'm going to keep it in english for other readers

Yes I'm mexican. Torreon, Coahuila to be more accurate. Thanks a lot for your offer. If by June I still haven't been able to get it from Spain, I'll contact you to ask the favor.

It's great to meet another Mexican atheist, even if you're not living here. There are very few in this "catholic/guadalupean" country.

Wed, 04 Jan 2012 01:40:36 UTC | #905139

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 7 by Quetzalcoatlus

I know many Mexican non believers. Actually all my friends from my generation were raised as catholic (and a few raised as jews), but all of them are now on the right path.

However my family are mainly catholics. When I told my sister about my doubts around catholism, she said; "How can you betray your education and values and what your parents have done for you?". Since then I prefer do not talk about this topic with them.

How do you cope?

I am from Mexico City, and there are a lot of non believers. It is not difficult to have a close circle of friends with people that share your values.

Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:00:34 UTC | #905251

Rafa-ga's Avatar Comment 8 by Rafa-ga

Well, I just know about 2 or 3 unbelievers like me, most of them very young, all of them my own students (I'm a teacher).

My father had a stroke (AVS in spanish, CVA in english)) and since he has become a fervent believer. He's just 71, but I try not to talk about religion with him, I don't want to spend our final years fighting about it. My mom and sisters are as catholics as they can be.

I work at two places, one of them is a private catholic university (Lasalle system, geology and other civil engineering subjects), and they don't know about my atheism. I've thinking about resigning, because they insist that we open the class with a prayer and once a month, assist to mass. But I need the money, and I have 12 years working there and you know how hard it is to find a stable work in Mexico, but this doesn't make me feel less an hypocrite.

At home, I have deconverted my wife, which wasn't hard because she didn't had a strong faith, and hated the church. I have 2 kids, a daughter of 6 and a boy of 4. I have them in a private secular school, and we're trying to raise them without religion. Its hard, because their granparents are always saying "god this and that", and my inlaw is a fan of angels.

I try to do my best, and be as open atheist as I can, except at one of my works and with close relatives.

Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:24:07 UTC | #905339

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 9 by Quetzalcoatlus

What about looking for a job on a secular university? Perhaps the Tec de Torreon, then you should not have any issue there. I used to be a teacher at the Tec de Monterrey, and they basically do not care if you are a non believer.

I also have two kids, one boy of 9 and another of 5. They are cool boys. I am trying to raise them to question everything and have a strong scientific education. Actually I let them to listen to the religion tales a lot, because it basically allows them to exercise their critical thinking.

For example my big son came back from school talking about the creation myth. I ask him what he thought, and his answer was very surprising: "it does not make sense as it does not explain the dinosaurs" (he is a fan of dinosaurs).

My family in law are all muslims, and believe me if you think that catholics are deluded, then muslims are ... but that is another topic :)

Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:54:18 UTC | #905452

Rafa-ga's Avatar Comment 10 by Rafa-ga

Oh, its not so much of a problem. My most important income comes from my other job, in a secular state university. When I started working at the catholic school, it wasn't catholic at all, but a secular one, created by a civil association. They sold it later to the Lasalle school system. To be honest, I didn't had any problem at all, until last semester, when a new administrator arrived and instituted the prayers and the masses.

As for the kids, we're trying to do the same, thats why I'm very interested in the spanish edition of The Magic of Reality, we want them to read it themselves, they're very young for Rius's books, LOL.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:28:44 UTC | #905690

Cestriana's Avatar Comment 11 by Cestriana

Bueno, Amigos:

I've ordered a copy for myself from amazon.es.

(A ver si entiendo lo todo cuando llegue - ojalá!)

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 11:52:00 UTC | #905825

GTThinker's Avatar Comment 12 by GTThinker

I don't want to seem picky, but it seems it was translated to Spain spanish, why? I mean, the there are more countries in America that speak "latin american spanish" America = Mexico, Central America (6 countries) South America = Venezuela, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia, etc... I'm not whining about it, it just doesn't make sense to me that it was translated in the spanish that only 1 country uses.

I know Prof. Richard Dawkins would understand, since he is from England, and he knows that USA people don't use the same terms and way of speaking. I want my Latin American version lol lol

Probably there will never be a Latin American version, so I think I'll end up buying the Spain version :( bummer. But hey! at least there's a spanish version ;)

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:42:33 UTC | #909583

Odalrich's Avatar Comment 13 by Odalrich

I am reading the Magic of Reality in Spanish (Iberian Spanish) and is really very interesting. The translation is much better than the God Delusion because the original text in English is much easier to translate. I recommend this book not only to children but also to adults without scientific education. Its reading should be compulsory in schools.

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:58:32 UTC | #911007