This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Phoenix event discussion thread for anyone who was at the Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss event tonight, 4-Feb

Phoenix event discussion thread for anyone who was at the Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss event tonight, 4-Feb - Comments

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 1 by Quetzalcoatlus

Any video of the talk available?

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:25:07 UTC | #915246

X-Man's Avatar Comment 2 by X-Man

I couldn't make it to the Feb 4 ASU event, but did make it last night to the Mesa event with RD, Faircloth and Cornwell about Secularism, which was very good.

RD was excellent as usual and it was the first time I'd seen Faircloth and Cornwell speak in person; I was impressed with what they had to say and their delivery.

From what I heard, this venue was a lot 'cozier' than ASU. No more than 500 people I'd say. It was all very friendly and cordial.

The book signing queue wasn't too long and I was pleased to get my UK edition of TMOR signed by the big man himself.

I traveled from Surprise in the NW valley to get there and spoke to some of the exhibitors about the dearth of non-believer activity in my area. Anyone else from around here feel the same?

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 18:29:50 UTC | #915325

ewaldrep's Avatar Comment 3 by ewaldrep

I'm from Phoenix and live in Ohio now, I have been keeping my eyes open for something like this to come along and it breaks my heart to miss the event in my hometown. I started feeling nastalgic when I saw that Dr. Krauss had moved there. Oh well, hope there was a good turnout!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:38:42 UTC | #915521

Ramses's Avatar Comment 4 by Ramses

I was there, having driven with a friend from Flagstaff. Here is my mini-review (which is also my first post on RDF forums!)

The discussion was a lot of fun, and Dr. Krauss is of course very funny. The questions asked by the audience afterwords were pretty bad (most just asked them to repeat things they had already said, rather than asking to expand on them), but there were a few fun questions.

The first was the token religious troll (I swear there is always one who makes it to the microphone), who claimed to be a doctor of something I can't remember and religious studies. After giving the "you can't prove God DOESN'T exist" spiel, he was going to quote a Bible verse for us, but was booed off before he could.

One gentleman asked Prof. Dawkins' opinion on the humanities, saying something like "You speak with great eloquence on science, but what is your opinion on the humanities and the arts?" Prof. Dawkins said (quoting from memory), "I think if you choose to go into the humanities (art, music, languages, etc) that that is a highly respectable profession. I would except--E-X-C-E-P-T--except, theology from that." As a music major at Northern AZ University myself, I liked that response.

The last question had to do with free-will. Dawkins and Krauss both basically said, "According to my understanding of the universe, free-will cannot exist. However, it is very difficult to reconcile that with the powerful subjective impression that I DO have free-will." Dawkins recommended Dan Dennett's work on the matter, and Krauss said it should be left up to philosophers.

There was a projection behind them, typing all of the things they were saying. I hope the person listening to their discussion and typing it for the audience got payed handsomely, because I do not envy that job. Typos were frequent, but considering the level of concentration that must require, they did pretty well.

The book signing afterwords was fun, but ASU is (I think) the largest campus in the US, and Gammage Auditorium seats about 3,000 people. The lines were long. I eventually got to chat with Dr. Krauss for a brief moment, asking him his opinion on Victor Stenger's "The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning." His response: "I have [read it], and I disagree with a lot of the things he says there. In fact, I don't think he understand cosmology at all, to be perfectly honest."

Hope you find something of value in this mini-review, Ramses

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 05:46:24 UTC | #915787

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 5 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:42:02 UTC | #920139