This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

This used to be me

As many of you know, I used to be a very evangelical Christian (and still defend religion in general), but I never realized quite what a insert appropriate defamatory remark here I was until I read this article, and realized that this is something I might possibly have written were I still a believer in God.

The mere thought that this article mirrors the way I saw the world, and would seek to bring "healing" makes me sick to my stomach. In my defense (and its not much of one) I would probably have focused more on Jesus words paraphrased "$h!t happens."

Fierce Tornadoes and the Fingers of God

Why would God reach down his hand and drag his fierce fingers across rural America killing at least 38 people with 90 tornadoes in 12 states, and leaving some small towns with scarcely a building standing, including churches?

If God has a quarrel with America, wouldn’t Washington, D.C., or Las Vegas, or Minneapolis, or Hollywood be a more likely place to show his displeasure?

We do not ascribe such independent power to Mother Nature or to the devil. God alone has the last say in where and how the wind blows. If a tornado twists at 175 miles an hour and stays on the ground like a massive lawnmower for 50 miles, God gave the command.

Read the rest via the hyperlink above.

TAGGED: RELIGION

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment