This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← NASA scientist denounces Quran astronomy miracle claims made in his name

NASA scientist denounces Quran astronomy miracle claims made in his name - Comments

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 1 by xmaseveeve

Yes, there was a thread about this pseudo-science before and it's truly disgraceful of Muslims to misrepresent someone who was clearly only trying to be polite. It would be defamation, except that no one hated by Muslims would tend to be lowered in the estimation of a reasonable person.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:34:34 UTC | #931088

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 2 by SaganTheCat

amazing how the word "inexplicable" can be used as support for a particular explaination

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:51:56 UTC | #931151

inquisador's Avatar Comment 3 by inquisador

This is fascinating. I have seen references to these kind of events before. If such claims are boosted for proselytising purposes they are powerful aids to recruitment, so it is important to debunk them at every opportunity.

It is amazing how widely interpretation of Arabic texts can vary when translated by the fervent ideologue.

Amazing how scientists have proven the truth of the Quranic verses about how the sun sets in a muddy puddle, or alternatively waits overnight under the throne of Allah for permission to rise again the next day!

Hand me that straitjacket!

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:33:14 UTC | #931161

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 4 by ZenDruid

I remember a remark made on the Arabic language... many words have potentially five definitions: the root definition; the opposite thereof; and usage regarding camels, food and sex.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:10:14 UTC | #931184

bubbub's Avatar Comment 5 by bubbub

Nice work as always. I'm sure these scientists appreciate a chance to put the record straight.

Maybe someone like councilofexmuslims or rdfs would fund a small site linking to or hosting the vids (so no ongoing dependance on one man). Might have better long term google ranking prospects than videos. It could have a hall of shame list of Islamic sites and organisations that ignore requests to withdraw their discredited quotes and clips of these scientists. Might encourage a few of them to do the honest thing.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:33:04 UTC | #931222

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 6 by TheRationalizer

bubbub, sounds like a good idea. I have written to a number of these websites, and many still have their false claims online - although I think some did take them down too.

I've been thanked by many Muslims for exposing these deceptions. They aren't allowed to "cover truth with untruth", and invention (biddah) is a sin too; so they were happy for me to point out that claims they were propagating were false and wrote to say they were going to stop.

Good result :)

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:55:20 UTC | #931363

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 7 by TheRationalizer

I'd just like to point out that Tom Armstrong told me it was his attendance of a talk by Richard Dawkins which helped to convince him that he should speak out.

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:59:44 UTC | #931364

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 8 by Bipedal Primate

@ comment 6: Invention is a sin in Islam? I thought Islamic countries were backwards and non-inventive because the Islamic belief system restricted Muslims from thinking critically, not because invention was an actual sin in itself. Good grief...

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:04:32 UTC | #931377

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 9 by TheRationalizer

Invention of supernatural knowledge - i.e. acting as if you have a direct communication to Allah and can declare divine truths. That is why when commenting on the Quran the commentators will say "Allah knows best"

Inventing clever technological stuff is fine :)

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:14:03 UTC | #931420

Skywatcher_3025's Avatar Comment 10 by Skywatcher_3025

Maybe it's a little off-topic, but I've seen in the Internet the materials, which show, how the faith-believers abuse the science explorations, made by NASA with the Hubble Space Telescope, making the fakes of the "Heaven Jerusalem" right at the Hubble space photo-shots, and then libel the scientists and those, who are engaged in the Hubble Space Telescope program, saying about the concealing of "such an important religious explorations" by NASA.

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 23:51:58 UTC | #931463

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 11 by TheRationalizer

Do you have a URL?

Sun, 01 Apr 2012 16:40:07 UTC | #931684

Tony d's Avatar Comment 12 by Tony d

I find it telling that when the record buying public of Great Britain.This is the youngsters, found out that Gary Glitter was a paedophile they stopped buying his records.

Now apparently it is common knowledge amongst the Muslims that their prophet Mohammed married a six year old.

I say the record buying public in Great Britain have a superior morality to all those who follow the teachings of Mohammed the pedophile.

Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:20:10 UTC | #931687

hellosnackbar's Avatar Comment 13 by hellosnackbar

Funny how fundamental believers in the nonsensense within the Koranus strive to get serious scientists to support them. A year or so ago an Imam( with a degree in engineering) gave a mosque lecture explaining the plain fact of evolution. He was hounded and spat upon by his Musloid congregation

Mon, 02 Apr 2012 12:28:54 UTC | #931875

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 14 by MilitantNonStampCollector

It reminds me of all of the old Nostradamus bollox: by stringing together lots and lots of ambiguous vague drivel, something will appear to stick... well... at least in the minds of the religious it will.

Mon, 02 Apr 2012 17:35:18 UTC | #931948

chunkimunki's Avatar Comment 15 by chunkimunki

I have no objection to idiots of any stripe believing in whatever gibberish they want, especially as they seem to be incapable of understanding the most obvious evidence, being stupid.

What I object to is that they want to make the rest of us believe it too, as if we were equally cretinous - to paraphrase the late great C.H.

Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:51:13 UTC | #932146

chunkimunki's Avatar Comment 16 by chunkimunki

I've no objections to any amount of morons believing in whatever nonsense they like.

What I DO object to is that they want to make the rest of us believe it too, as if we are equally stupid.

Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:06:59 UTC | #932150

Kirkpatrick's Avatar Comment 17 by Kirkpatrick

Well surely this demonstrates (if demonstration were needed) that religious belief has nothing to do with rationality! It seems to me that belief is first and foremost a question of identity. Moreover I put it to fellow atheists that 'do you really believe this?' will not prove sufficient (in most cases) to make believers question their religion. What is needed is something that appeals on the subjective level; something that makes people feel part of something worthwhile. Although most of you won't be fans I suspect, the French Marxist philosopher Louis Althusser put it thus: "Ideology interpellates individuals as subjects." (You can get the full text here: http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/althusser/1970/ideology.htm) So Muslims hijack science in the name of their religion not out of malice but because it is impossible for them not to do so, since their identity itself is at stake. I think what is required is a bigger, more universal, more appealing identity - perhaps what might be described as 'secular-multiculturalism'. Once the Richard Dawkins Foundation cracks that one, it really will be a mass movement!

Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:27:23 UTC | #932381

Skywatcher_3025's Avatar Comment 18 by Skywatcher_3025

Comment 11 by TheRationalizer :

Do you have a URL?

There are many of them...

Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:45:38 UTC | #932384

Skywatcher_3025's Avatar Comment 19 by Skywatcher_3025

Here is one of the links, available in the Internet.

http://hellandheaventestimonies.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/celestial-city-of-new-jerusalem-photographed-by-nasa’s-hubble-space-telescope/

Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:37:06 UTC | #935123