This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← There is Reason in stopping Joseph Kony

There is Reason in stopping Joseph Kony - Comments

Xemas's Avatar Comment 1 by Xemas

You need to do some serious research on this topic before advocating it, or advancing its cause any further with abstract references to actually reputable individuals. If you're on this site, supporting IC, you've been misled, or misinformed. You don't seem to address any of the criticisms of the validity of this organization in your post. It's nearly as misleading and irresponsible as the Kony 2012 video itself.

Kony hasn't been in Uganda since 2006. When IC showed this video in Uganda, they literally rioted.

This organization is dirty. I'd say that any charitable organization that is even a little dirty should be avoided, but this one is nastier than most. Funded by fundamentalist Christians who seek to advance the cause of violent anti-gay movements in Uganda (Better Business Bureau); spreading misinformation about the conflinct in Uganda (Council on Foreign Affairs);

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/-/688334/1383276/-/aw5a0jz/-/index.html

http://owinomarket.wordpress.com/

http://owinomarket.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/an-open-letter-to-invisible-children-the-followers-and-anyone-interested-in-why-kony-2012-is-completely-wrong/

The writer of the open letter is a researcher who works in the field in Uganda: "for me the singular point of my research and fieldwork for the past 8 years has been the history, causes, influence of ethnicity, the potential for transitional justice, and for a durable solutions to the Lord’s Resistance Army/Movement (LRA/M)"

They are in the reconciliation phase, rebuilding. The propaganda is actually harmful emotionally (not to mention for tourism) for the Ugandan people.

IC isn't legitimate. It's finances are highly questionable. A ten minute google search will yield any information you need on this point, but I'll give you a rough figure: (30%) of spending actually allocated to aid. The rest is for personal salaries and "awareness."

If you're looking for a real charity that actually helps people, go for the Red Cross, they won't spend 70% of their funds on high school musical ad campaigns on malarial mosquito net awareness.

Jason Russell is a dangerous man. I sympathize with his questionable mental faculties, as I am bipolar myself; however, giving a charity to a crazy fundamentalist christian cultist is kind of like giving a rifle to a drunk child.

In any case, read the links above and as much as you can before advocating this cause. If you still choose to, that's up to you, but be aware of the harm that your support may inadvertently cause to the Ugandans who have suffered enough.

Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:49:39 UTC | #934089

Jonathan Dore's Avatar Comment 2 by Jonathan Dore

Xemas, did you actually read the OP with any attention? You seem to have confused IC (Invisible Children) with the ICC (the International Criminal Court). Robert Paulley offers no "support" for Invisible Children whatever. He's merely saying that capturing Kony and committing him to the ICC would be no bad thing, and we shouldn't be afraid of saying so just because some dishonest and disreputable people have also advocated it. Do you actually disagree with that? Or do you think we should want Kony to remain at large just to show Invisible Children how much we disapprove of them?

Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:10:10 UTC | #934159

robertferguson3's Avatar Comment 3 by robertferguson3

Thanks for that Jonathan, my sentiments exactly.

Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:47:50 UTC | #934185

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 4 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:49:54 UTC | #934356

nick keighley's Avatar Comment 5 by nick keighley

[Comment 4](/discussions/645561-there-is-reason-in-stopping-joseph-kony/comments?page=1#comment_934356) by  [Anonymous](/profiles/1)          :

Comment Removed by Moderator

whatever it is you're doing anonymous have you considered stopping it?

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:32:08 UTC | #934609

KELewis's Avatar Comment 6 by KELewis

I think that IC has been unfairly criticised, a lot of it is partisan and by people who don't know what they're talking about. The chief prosecutor of the ICC and Human Rights Watch publicly supported the campaign. I watched the Kony 2012 video go from viral, with millions of people throwing blind/instinctual support behind it, to virus, invoking a sweeping wave of reactionary opposition, a lot of which was misrepresented and sensationalised. Now of course, it seems to have disappeared altogether, the social media activism revolution indeed.

The aim of the campaign to me seemed clearly to promote public support for the institution of the ICC. It was clearly expressed as an awareness campaign, aimed at lobbying particularly the US government, to provide support for the Ugandan forces to aid in the capture of Kony.

Let's not forget that it was Uganda itself that referred its case to the ICC and requested international intervention in the first place.

The ongoing threat of the LRA is real, the attacks continue outside of Uganda. And as for people claiming the video misrepresented the threat of the LRA, it showed clearly, with a map and animation, the LRA moving out of Uganda and into CAR and Sudan. They could hardly have been more clear in such a short video.

I think this is an extremely important issue for the future of the ICC, which will depend on ratification by the US government if it is to survive into the future.

I've been to Uganda several times, I saw the footage of the screening of the Kony video. The vast majority of that crowd plainly could not speak English, let alone hear what was being said. All they are then left with, is a lot of footage of a white blonde haired child blowing up things on an iphone, and pictures of Joseph Kony, which they shouted at and threw rocks at. Hardly a surprising reaction. And I know it might be hard for some people to accept, but there is a pretty strong anti-Western sentiment in Uganda, and these types of issues do get politicised, misrepresented, and are used to drum up public anger. Not unlike the media circus that builds around issues like asylum seekers in Western countries.

The whole issue of western charity in Africa really needs to be debated, but IC should not be used as a scape goat.

From my point of view, it would be great if the USA signed the Rome Statute and actively supported the ICC, and I don't know why people are so opposed to a campaign whose primary goal was obviously to promote public support in the USA for the ICC.

Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:45:32 UTC | #947840