This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← BBC Radio 4 request for participants

BBC Radio 4 request for participants - Comments

jbkaffe's Avatar Comment 1 by jbkaffe

I'd love to participate although I grew up in a typical danish agnostic household. I think it's a cliché that religious indoctrination only occurs in strict fundamentalist households. The world needs more brave atheists and ex-theists(deists), so speak up folks!

Tue, 08 May 2012 15:00:59 UTC | #940545

Graxan's Avatar Comment 2 by Graxan

I'd say that in trying to measure the increase in the number of atheists due to the internet, you should also look at those not of religious backgrounds but who might have previously put Christian(out of tradition) or agnostic simply because they hadn't thought about it or didn't have any good arguments to say either way - People who have since become confirmed atheists due to watching the likes of Hitchens, Dawkins etc on the internet. Like myself.

If asked 5 years ago if I believed in god I might have said no, but didn't have much reason for it nor would I have identified myself as atheist. I think we all need waking up to these ideas whether of religious background or not.

Tue, 08 May 2012 15:14:55 UTC | #940547

gordon's Avatar Comment 3 by gordon

It's not exactly The Only Way is Essex is it? I at least learned what a vagazzle was.

Tue, 08 May 2012 17:27:15 UTC | #940568

Quine's Avatar Comment 4 by Quine

Please check to see if you can get any former clergy for your story. Information we are getting from the Clergy Project indicates that contacts exchanged over the web have had an impact on these people.

Tue, 08 May 2012 19:22:41 UTC | #940595

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 5 by Saganic Rites

Comment 3 by gordon :

It's not exactly The Only Way is Essex is it? I at least learned what a vagazzle was.

And now dearly wish you hadn't?

Tue, 08 May 2012 19:37:29 UTC | #940598

gordon's Avatar Comment 6 by gordon

Comment 5 by Saganic Rites

Yup.

Tue, 08 May 2012 21:04:49 UTC | #940610

Dave H's Avatar Comment 7 by Dave H

Ah yes, the internet, where religions go to die. If only that were true. I can imagine it also possibly having the opposite effect for certain people, especially when many religious forums have a well-earned reputation for deleting any opinions that they don't like.

For anyone searching the internet without blinkers, though, they're going to find a second opinion pretty quickly. And then they're on the slippery slope to rationality.

Mon, 14 May 2012 17:07:22 UTC | #941429