This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

Ghost seance goes wrong

I teach at a village primary school in Giant Mountains, Czech Republic. During lessons in narrating, we'd written a short movie script, which was to be filmed a week later. Children, aged 13, had written quite funny ghost stories, so last week we set the class up to film it.

Creepy music was put on, volunteers gathered around the table and started to ask for a ghost, moving a glass according to script. Others were hidden behind the school wardrobes moving various things around, as if many ghosts were present all over the class - but without us noticing. We were "terrified" only upon seeing the footage...

During next lesson (will be in three days from now) we were set to discover (after examining and enhancing the footage by various filters), that the class had been crawling with ghosts. I planned to edit in transparent ghosts of trilobites, pterodactylus and any ghost absurd enough.

Upon coming back from class, I was confronted by a teacher, who accused me of endangering the school by playing with the dark powers. She said the devil exists and it looks for opportunity to get here. Other teachers mentioned she phoned the village priest. To make matters worse, her daughter was in this very class, assisting bravely. At first, I was almost amused, but as the problem unfolded, I'm not anymore. I have to think about it most of the time now and can't decide how to continue, if to scrap it all and bury the hatchet, or argue through...

I'll be really grateful for any advice. The movie is still in production - I think maybe the problem can be sorted out through the film, but I can't come up with anything apart from the bits above. Thank you for help, will update if you are interested.

TAGGED: IRRATIONALITY

MORE BY Filip The Czech Teacher

MORE

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment