This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Mitt Romney's Mormon God was a lousy CEO

Mitt Romney's Mormon God was a lousy CEO - Comments

godzillatemple's Avatar Comment 1 by godzillatemple

I would agree with the sentiment, but also point out that it holds true for pretty much every other religion ever invented by man. Just looking at Christianity in general, what sort of boss gives his employees a bunch of conflicting instructions based on 3rd and 4th hand accounts, promises to be right back, and then disappears for the next 2000 years? Hell of a way to run a company, if you ask me...

Tue, 15 May 2012 21:13:58 UTC | #941690

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 2 by VrijVlinder

If this man gets elected , I am relocating for sure. This country is going to the dogs from hell in a hand basket .

If he gets elected , that proves the level of intelligence left in this american dream turned into a nightmare. By fundamental fools!!

Wed, 16 May 2012 03:51:35 UTC | #941761

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 3 by QuestioningKat

Jesus must have been a lousy carpenter.

Even if Romney is elected, a counter culture equal and opposite to his view will rise up.

Wed, 16 May 2012 05:07:11 UTC | #941779

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 4 by Alan4discussion

The second "m" in "Mormon" is still silent!

Wed, 16 May 2012 16:46:49 UTC | #941866

Rationus's Avatar Comment 5 by Rationus

Don't you know that it's all stage? Presidents aren't elected. They're selected. Don't you think it's a little strange that all of the leaders jump from being corporate CEOs to Presidents or Presidents' staff? We live in a Corporatocracy run by international money creators. Huxley is rolling in Orwell's grave. Don't fall for the propaganda.

Thu, 17 May 2012 03:32:50 UTC | #941966

sheepcat's Avatar Comment 6 by sheepcat

Vote for someone else then!

How did America end up with one of the least democratic voting systems in the world, it is baffling, how can there only be 2 parties, it makes my head hurt.

I could only find 2 out of 99 members of the senate who are independant or other party.

And none out of 433 in the house of representatives.

Contrast with the UK house of commons

Government

Consevative (306)

Lib Dem (57)

HM Official Opposition

Labour (255)

Other Opposition

DUP (8)
  SNP (6)
  Plaid (3)
  SF (5, Abstention)
  SDLP (3)
  Independent (3)
  Alliance (1)
  Respect (1)
  Green (1)

Why is it like it is over there, are you not allowed to have new parties?

Thu, 17 May 2012 11:34:03 UTC | #942009

Sample's Avatar Comment 7 by Sample

sheepcat,

How did America end up with one of the least democratic voting systems in the world (sheepcat)

It probably does look baffling to outsiders when you put it that way. In actual fact, we have dozens of parties to choose from when voting (particularly nationally I should emphasize). It's not really for lack of choices that the US developed into an essentially a two-party system.

This is a potentially very long conversation which would derail this thread so a look at these relatively short entries about Duverger's Law and Two Party systems is a good start, imo. With the latter, understand that elections in the US are won, generally, by what's called a single member district plurality, referred to in the Duverger's entry. Please don't let all these referrals turn you off. It's a facinating ride to understand the strengths and weaknesses in constitutional and parlimentary systems. And then there is also history and current laws that have (and do) sustain and explain why the US system is the way it is.

A political scientist should really chime in by creating a new discussion topic. I have my own pet ideas on a few things. At any rate, there are more than two political parties to vote for in the US especially during presidential elections. Why we rarely have a winning third party (or 4th, 5th, etc.) is cleared up in those links.

Mike

Thu, 17 May 2012 12:52:04 UTC | #942018

sheepcat's Avatar Comment 8 by sheepcat

In all fairness the same general thing happens in the UK, I think the internal conversation goes like this.

I want the Green party (for example) candidate to win, but...

I think the Conservative candidate who I loathe might win, so...

I vote for the Labour party candidate rather than follow my sense of what is right in order to ensure the Conservative doesn't get in.

I know this is how it works here and probably there too but I find this to be a really depressing politics of fear way to think, if everybody just voted the way their conscience told them to we would all have better governments.

Here in the UK it always feels like the old government is voted out rather than a new one in.

Is Mitt Romney really the best America has to offer the world as a potential leader?

And shouldn't Christians be Democrats any way? I think Jesus would be characterised as more liberal than Conservative!

Thu, 17 May 2012 13:28:35 UTC | #942022

Sample's Avatar Comment 9 by Sample

Is Mitt Romney really the best America has to offer the world as a potential leader?

Oh, well, now I understand the source of your frustration, sheepcat! You are assuming that we go to the booths to elect leaders? Hahahahahaa. We vote for leaders but Parties mysteriously keep getting elected! :-j

Mike

Thu, 17 May 2012 14:46:38 UTC | #942036

PERSON's Avatar Comment 10 by PERSON

Comment 8 by sheepcat

That's pretty much why FPP voting creates a two (occasionally three) party system. As the saying goes: "Vote Cthulu. Why choose a lesser evil?"

Comment 9 by Sample

So what were the primaries for, in your view?

Thu, 17 May 2012 15:53:22 UTC | #942044

Sample's Avatar Comment 11 by Sample

PERSON, you can't force me to answer a question about the primaries as that would undoubtedly detract from my satirical observation. No, I won't do it. :-j

Mike

Thu, 17 May 2012 17:28:44 UTC | #942066

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 12 by Schrodinger's Cat

If ever a word was designed for mis-spelling.....it's Mormon.

Thu, 17 May 2012 18:38:55 UTC | #942077

nickv's Avatar Comment 13 by nickv

I can not understand how these people get into power its beyond belief!!.

Fri, 18 May 2012 03:09:48 UTC | #942138

IDLERACER's Avatar Comment 14 by IDLERACER

Comment 4 by Alan4discussion :

The second "m" in "Mormon" is still silent!

As is the "i" in "The Angel Moroni"

Sat, 19 May 2012 19:34:40 UTC | #942312

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 15 by Saganic Rites

A funny and well written piece. I enjoyed that. Thanks Ariosito.

Sat, 19 May 2012 22:43:36 UTC | #942327

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 16 by Saganic Rites

I saw my dog cleaning himself earlier when a thought hit me. He spends so much of his time looking up his own arse, I ought to consider re-naming him 'Mutt Romney'.

Sun, 20 May 2012 19:22:49 UTC | #942470

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 17 by VrijVlinder

@Comment 13 by nickv I can not understand how these people get into power its beyond belief!!.

America was founded on the principles of freedom of religion, since they were booted from England originally. So the constitution was written with the idea in mind that people should be free to believe and practice their religion freely and openly without fear.

The result of several hundred years of these kind of accommodations are the mentality you see of people today and the people they elect mirror themselves.

People who are stupid elect stupid people. If it can be plainly said. The real power in US Government comes from senate and congressional representatives. Each state has a certain number of electoral votes.

Contrary to what people believe, the public vote is symbolic and has no real weight or merit. The only time it makes a difference is when state level and county level issues are voted on. Like propositions to pass or ban something.

Regrettably there are more ignorant people in America today than informed rational people. I don't think there is a suitable or better person than the one in office. If the outcome is against the current president, it will be because of the rich bigots power players and the country will fall apart.

Mon, 21 May 2012 01:11:46 UTC | #942538

CEVA34's Avatar Comment 18 by CEVA34

VijVinder, the "founding" of America and the Constitution are two very different matters, surely? Those original Puritans who left England didn't believe in people being free to follow ANY religion - they believed THEY should be free to follow THEIR version. On the subject of modern electoral systems, we in the UK shouldn't be too smug. I believe it's the case that no government - Labour or Conservative - since World War II has been elected by a majority of actual voters. Mrs Thatcher (rot her socks) had a large majority of seats in Parliament, but not a majority of voters, and the same was true of Tony Blair (rot his socks) who had an even bigger parliamentary majority.

Mon, 21 May 2012 08:44:34 UTC | #942586

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 19 by rationalmind

Mitt Romney's god was also illiterate. Not a good trait for a supreme being., The Book of Mor(m)on is supposedly written in the language of the King James bible, but English had developed in the centuries in between and the true author, convicted con-man and womanising sexual predator Joseph Smith, didn't know the meaning of the old verb endings and repeatedly got them muddled up. Thou sayest and He sayeth etc.

The other example is a part of this fraudulent religion's canon of literature. is The Book of Abraham yet another of Smith's bogus translations. Only this time we have absolute proof. It is supposedly a translation of ancient Egyptian scrolls . In fact since we can now read the scrolls, which still exist, we know that it is a funerary document dedicated to the god Horus.

Tue, 22 May 2012 11:42:08 UTC | #942800

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 20 by VrijVlinder

Comment 18 by CEVA34 VijVinder, the "founding" of America and the Constitution are two very different matters, surely? Those original Puritans who left England didn't believe in people being free to follow ANY religion - they believed THEY should be free to follow THEIR version.

Indeed. Later amended to accommodate the influx of varieties. Of course it did not happen without a fight. the whole thing is a fixed setting and it is revolting to watch it unfold. Just having to listen to the candidates preach values and morality as a god given gift , separation of church and state is hardly enforced in America. If it was then god would be removed from the money. At this rate it may be amended to say "In the god of (name your god) we trust".

Let's hope it is not a more bogus god than the one there is now.

Wed, 23 May 2012 00:37:29 UTC | #943017

wolfhoundGrowl's Avatar Comment 21 by wolfhoundGrowl

Comment Removed by Author

Fri, 25 May 2012 15:24:54 UTC | #943498

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 22 by Alan4discussion

Comment 20 by VrijVlinder

separation of church and state is hardly enforced in America. If it was then god would be removed from the money.

While one side still has a portrait of the queen, UK notes have better more scientific themes on the reverse side, as this picture shows!

Fri, 25 May 2012 20:41:07 UTC | #943566

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 23 by Mr DArcy

It's probably time for a shareholder revolt. This CEO, Mr God is obviously being vastly overpaid and not delivering any heavenly afterlife as promised. The whole Board should be sacked and the company put into liquidation.

Mon, 28 May 2012 10:48:00 UTC | #943945

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 24 by Zeuglodon

Nonetheless the revived business expands rapidly beyond its original territory

I don't agree with this assessment. Christianity's expansion took nearly three centuries before it had a prominent political force in the shape of Constantine the Great, and the intervening time was not as rapid as this remark of yours suggests. Islam and Mormonism spread faster than Christianity. The Golden Age of Islam began only a century and a quarter after the date of Muhammad's revelations, and Mormons already have a viable political candidate after only two centuries.

I also looked up Joseph Smith on Wikipedia. His characterization is not as clear-cut as you suggest:

It is unlikely, though, that there will ever be consensus on Smith's character and achievements.[433] Mormons and Ex-Mormons have produced a large amount of scholarly work about Smith, and while Mormons tend to shield their prophet's reputation, those who have broken away from the faith have to justify their decision to leave.[433] Interpretations range from viewing Smith as a prophet who restored the true faith,[434] to a "pious fraud" who believed he was called of God to preach repentance, and felt justified inventing visions in order to convert people,[435] to a gifted "mythmaker" who was the product of his Yankee environment.[436] Most agree though that Smith was one of the most influential, charismatic, and innovative figures in American religious history.[437]

Smith's teachings and practices aroused considerable antagonism, with newspapers as early as 1829 dismissing him as a fraud[438] (a view still held by many evangelical Christians).[439] He was twice imprisoned for alleged treason,[440] the second time falling victim to an angry mob that stormed the jail.[441] After his death at age thirty eight, the Saints believed he had died as a martyr to seal the testimony of his faith.[442] Smith himself made no claims to perfection, comparing himself to a "rough stone", speaking of his impetuosity and lack of polish.[433]

That said, the article did mention earlier that he had some banking problems and fled to another state when charged of fraud.

Otherwise, rather funny expose. Well done. :-)

Comment 22 by Alan4discussion

Comment 20 by VrijVlinder

separation of church and state is hardly enforced in America. If it was then god would be removed from the money.

While one side still has a portrait of the queen, UK notes have better more scientific themes on the reverse side, as this picture shows!

We might have a new one coming soon to a banknote near you: this e-petition for HM Government calls for Alan Turing to be put onto future £10 notes. Incidentally, there's also an e-petition calling for his official pardon.

Mon, 28 May 2012 14:47:47 UTC | #943980