This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

"Our Lady of Sorrows (Ariz.) baseball team forfeits state title rather than play against team with a girl"

I'm sure the kids are confused at the absurdity of the "adults". As the coach of the now state championship team said "I respect their views, but it's a bit out of the 18th century". Many people give Muslims a lot of feedback on their treatment of women, but most of them are still basically living the the 7th century. This is in the 21st century in the US and many here haven't progressed at all in the intervening centuries. I'm sure that many of these "adults" are people we'd come across in our everyday lives and we wouldn't think at first glance that we are actually dealing with someone with views that go back much much further than the 18th century.

A baseball team in Arizona that worked all season to reach the state championship game has forfeited the chance to play for a state title because its opponent has a girl starting at second base.

As initially reported by the Arizona Republic, then followed upon by a variety of other Arizona and national sources, Phoenix (Ariz.) Our Lady of Sorrows Academy's baseball team decided to forfeit its scheduled Arizona Charter Athletic Association state championship matchup rather than face off against Mesa (Ariz.) Preparatory Academy, which features a second baseman named Paige Sultzbach. Because playing Mesa Prep would require competing against a team featuring a girl, Our Lady of Sorrows decided that playing the game would violate the school's mission to teach boys and girls separately, as the school made clear in a statement on Thursday. The separation of the sexes is a key tenet of the Society of St. Pius X, a separatist branch of the Catholic Church of which Our Lady of Sorrows is a part.

. . .
Continue to Yahoo Sports article

TAGGED: CHILDREN, RELIGION

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment