This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← No religion is Australia's second most popular religion

No religion is Australia's second most popular religion - Comments

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 1 by Mr DArcy

But Michael, as you know, the universe arose from NOthing! That's quite a non-deity you believe in!!!

As for me, I'm a NONE, (well occasionally I dress up in monk's clothing, but only to get into Rowan Williams' poetry reading sessions!)

(Removes tongue from cheek)

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:21:57 UTC | #948625

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 2 by Alan4discussion

Comment 1 by Mr DArcy

As for me, I'm a NONE, (well occasionally I dress up in monk's clothing, but only to get into Rowan Williams' poetry reading sessions!)

Are you sure you got the right Rowan - dressing in ecclesiastical clothing ? Rowan Atkinson - Jesus The Magician - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt6VH1mVPAo (Sorry about the advert).

@OP Looking forward to passing the Catholics at the next census.

..and then you can work towards UK levels after that!

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 20:12:40 UTC | #948649

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 3 by VrijVlinder

I love Australia !!

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:10:36 UTC | #948656

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 4 by Premiseless

We ought to demand legal protection for anyone insulting us with abusive gods , and financial tax breaks for protecting others from them!

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 22:58:10 UTC | #948663

GeeBee's Avatar Comment 5 by GeeBee

Nice! Next one we'll get 'em....

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 04:15:31 UTC | #948669

tangatoto's Avatar Comment 6 by tangatoto

As it looks probable that our current government in Australia , wont survive the next election , we'll then have a "devout catholic" in the form of, Tony Abbott , as Prime Minister . I wonder if his government will acknowledge that the taxes from 22.3% of the people of Australia , should never be used to fund church schools in their quest to teach a anti-science , dogma and myth ? Rhetorical question , I know , but we can all live in hope .

This is the man who publicly stated that he felt "threatend" by homosexuality , (but obviously not by climate change or over population) . I wonder if he'll feel "threatended" by this obviously growing mass if godless Aussies.

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 07:32:30 UTC | #948674

Pete H's Avatar Comment 7 by Pete H

5 years time isn't long to do anything practical about the numbers. Best not waste any time then. Tonight is as good as any.

But you need to check the fine print on the census legislation. Do under 5's qualify as having any religion according to the census rules, or are they assumed to be members of the religion nominated by the parents?

If so then 'no religion' may already be surging to the lead, if most Catholics tend to have large families who tend to grow up to be atheists.

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 08:52:10 UTC | #948677

mickcorby's Avatar Comment 8 by mickcorby

Also worth noting is that some 65000 people identify themselves as Jedi, outnumbering Scientologists by 30 to 1. Thankfully, we don't take religion too seriously "down" here.

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:21:16 UTC | #948679

cynicaloptimistrealist's Avatar Comment 9 by cynicaloptimistrealist

Hi Michael,

Much as I tried, I can find no way of getting the data you want (Disclamer: It is Friday and I have just returned from a late liquid lunch with colleagues). I imagine the results very much depend on education, as an atheist from birth born into a Catholic family, as I departed childhood I noticed that my devout parents and almost every other devout person I know are people who very much browse the rules and then pick the ones that suit their situation. I came from a small family as did nearly all my friends, the prevailing attitude seemed to be "Only have as many children as you can afford to give the best opportunities to and it is a greater sin to bring a child into the world for whom you cannot provide".

I have always noticed from what I have seen in Ireland and the U.K. that people who are under-educated, seem to have a multi-generational reliance on social welfare and who seem to feel that social welfare is a perfectly normal life aspiration (not just the safety net it is intended to be) tend to have more children. Some of the above people may be devout, however I suspect the fact that more children equal more cash is acting as much more of an incentive than any religious views. I have noticed from my travels in the middle east that the greater the level of religious devotion combined with poverty the larger the number of children and I have also noticed a correlation between poverty combined with traditional beliefs in rural China. So, in Australia I imagine that unless the Catholics listed in the census are of the Mel Gibson variety the figures for children are pretty similar to the rest of the developed world.

An interesting thing about Catholicism is that many children who are listed as Catholics may have been to church as few as 3 times (baptism, communion & confirmation) for the reasons that there's usually a party for the baptism, there's a cash incentive for a child making communion which usually doubles at confirmation. I played the game until I realised there was no more money to be made from it and then leapt from the atheistic closet. It does worry me that people still list children as belonging to a particular religion and the government allows them to do so.

Also worth noting is that some 65000 people identify themselves as Jedi, outnumbering Scientologists by 30 to 1.

That's great to see, after all the Jedi weapon of choice is totally harmless. It does worry me that there are 6,500 Scientologists out there parting with obscene amounts of cash to have their skin resistance tested by what is essentially a multi-meter with only one visible setting.

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 19:43:20 UTC | #948694

GoldenRule rules!'s Avatar Comment 10 by GoldenRule rules!

I am very suspiscious of the 2011 census figures for Religious Affiliation.

I have always felt that to hide the true Islamic population of a country would be entirely consistent with Stealth jihad prior to springing the trap.

If Muslims are approx 4-5% of our current population (the generally accepted figure), then where is their figure in the results? Especially considering 2 points, 1. there are results as low as 2.8% for another group and 2. there is a whopping 27.5% of the population that has not answered the religious affiliation question.

See for yourself: http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/0?opendocument&navpos=220

Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:24:13 UTC | #948720

mmurray's Avatar Comment 11 by mmurray

Comment 10 by GoldenRule rules! :

I am very suspiscious of the 2011 census figures for Religious Affiliation.

I have always felt that to hide the true Islamic population of a country would be entirely consistent with Stealth jihad prior to springing the trap.

If Muslims are approx 4-5% of our current population (the generally accepted figure), then where is their figure in the results? Especially considering 2 points, 1. there are results as low as 2.8% for another group and 2. there is a whopping 27.5% of the population that has not answered the religious affiliation question.

See for yourself: http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/0?opendocument&navpos=220

That's really interesting. Where did you find the 27.5% figure ?

Michael

Sat, 07 Jul 2012 11:05:09 UTC | #948722

Skeptic Pete's Avatar Comment 12 by Skeptic Pete

[Comment 10](/discussions/646301-no-religion-is-australia-s-second-most-popular-religion/comments?page=1#comment_948720) by  [GoldenRule rules!](/profiles/185306)          :

I am very suspiscious of the 2011 census figures for Religious Affiliation. I have always felt that to hide the true Islamic population of a country would be entirely consistent with Stealth jihad prior to springing the trap.If Muslims are approx 4-5% of our current population (the generally accepted figure), then where is their figure in the results? Especially considering 2 points, 1. there are results as low as 2.8% for another group and 2. there is a whopping 27.5% of the population that has not answered the religious affiliation question.See for yourself: http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/0?opendocument&navpos=220

Islam 2.2%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia

Sun, 08 Jul 2012 03:14:22 UTC | #948742

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 13 by zeerust2000

Yes, I'm proud to be an Australian. Knowing that 1 in every 4 people I meet is a Catholic is a little disturbing, but I'm glad to see we're catching up.

Sun, 08 Jul 2012 11:03:45 UTC | #948752

santiachinelli's Avatar Comment 14 by santiachinelli

In other news, "bald" has been declared Australia's 2nd most popular hairstyle.

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:49:10 UTC | #949369