This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Catholic church moving to annul a marriage (between non-Catholics)

Catholic church moving to annul a marriage (between non-Catholics) - Comments

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 1 by DocWebster

I wonder if that's what Bill Donohue had to do.

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:15:31 UTC | #948606

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 2 by irate_atheist

Really, I don't have a lot of sympathy, especially for people in this evil organisation.

Get married somewhere else.

Maybe grow up and grasp that your particular Magic Jew cult is utter nonsense run by lunatics.

Scientists discover the Higgs (well, a Higgs, or an interesting anomaly anyway) and you still piss about with a bunch of old fools who believe in magic crackers.

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:29:00 UTC | #948610

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 3 by Alan4discussion

@link - If the annulment is granted, her marriage would be considered by the church to have never existed.

The Catholic Church considers marriage permanent in the eyes of God and does not recognise civil court divorces.

A person whose marriage is annulled can marry again in the church and participate fully in church life.

Who cares what the RC Church "considers" or thinks. Thinking was never one of their strong points anyway!

"He can marry whoever he likes, wherever he likes. But his problems with the church are nothing to do with me."

She "ignored the first phone call hoping it would go away", but Msgr Harrison rang back several times.

"I said I didn't want anything to do with it. But he said I had to participate - that I should give a taped interview which would be sent to the tribunal in the US."

Tell the silly old fart to get lost! He clearly has delusions of his own and his church's importance!

Msgr Harrison told the Otago Daily Times that by contacting Ms Bassett-Smith he was ensuring her rights were protected.

"It is a spouse's right to participate in the process, and they have the freedom to say yes or to decline.

Why would she want an incompetent RCC opinion on a legal matter?

"By participating, the other spouse can actually lay their point of view on the table. This was explained to her. Participating would give strength to her belief that her marriage was valid."

She needs to talk to deluded old clowns to understand that a legal contract is valid??!?
Their opinions are of no legal consequence. If her ex-husband wants to indulge these clowns that is up to him!

Msgr Harrison acknowledged Ms Bassett-Smith felt "taken by surprise" by his telephone call.

She clearly needs more practice at dismissing cold callers!
I am usually polite to them - at first - unless they keep ringing back after they have been told "no thanks", or think they can bully me!

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 19:49:26 UTC | #948645

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 4 by xmaseveeve

Ha-ha, the wheel has come full circle and they are doing what Henry VIII did.

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 20:11:00 UTC | #948648

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 5 by VrijVlinder

I would ask to be excommunicated . They should try to annul all the marriages between catholics and non catholics, so we can watch the church remain with only one follower, the pope. The catholic diaspora lol.

So the church just can't find enough reasons to give people that will cause desertion from catholicism. Why don't they annul all the illegal marriages they have performed ?

The best idea would be for government to make religious marriage a ceremony and not actual marriage. Requiring a civil court marriage to make it legal. Like in Mexico.

Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:07:57 UTC | #948655

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 6 by VrijVlinder

Comment 2 by irate_atheist Scientists discover the Higgs (well, a Higgs, or an interesting anomaly anyway) and you still piss about with a bunch of old fools who believe in magic crackers.

Yea and they also call it the f**cking god particle which I find very disturbing !! this marriage between science and god must be annulled .

Since when is a boson a god !!!!!!

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 23:30:02 UTC | #948704

Fujikoma's Avatar Comment 7 by Fujikoma

I guess I don't understand the point of this. It would be no different than someone in the klan comlaining that they should be free to marry someone that wasn't white without interference from the group they are freely and willingly a member of.
Just because most churches are of the buffet type, doesn't mean that they serve everything that you want.

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:22:07 UTC | #948831

Roedy's Avatar Comment 8 by Roedy

The obvious solution is to leave the church out of it. Sort it out civilly. The church can't really do much unless it is asked to officiate something.

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 00:07:40 UTC | #949147

Helga Vieirch's Avatar Comment 9 by Helga Vieirch

Has anyone thought to do a psychiatric evaluation on the Pope recently?

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:14:24 UTC | #949192