This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

Why Jehovah's Witnesses won't mourn the Aurora victims

I am no longer a Jehovah's Witness. My decision to leave all religion was made in 2009 after I read The God Delusion. To say that book opened my eyes would definitely be an understatement.

Yesterday, my mother-in-law, who is a devout Jehovah's Witness, told me that at her meeting (congregational gathering) that morning, the Elder (Priest) giving the Public Talk (sermon), had a few things to say about the Aurora victims.

I'm paraphrasing here, but something to the tune of the following was said by the Elder:

“Brothers and Sisters, how many times has Jehovah’s Organisation told us to look after our young children?

"Those that died in the Aurora shootings were out at midnight to watch a film about a vigilante. To my knowledge, no Jehovah’s Witnesses were harmed because no Jehovah’s Witnesses were present.

"The world puts things out on a plate for us and our children and we are free to take what we want. But Brothers, there are consequences. If the parents of these victims had educated their children theocratically, the shooter would have been staring into an empty auditorium."

As an ex-Jehovah's Witness, this sort of talk doesn't really surprise me. What I want to know is what you - the the non-Jehovah's Witness - feels like when you hear things like this being said.

Just in case you didn't know, the Jehovah's Witnesses claim they are a loving religion and preach peace and love to the world.

TAGGED: CULTS, RELIGION

MORE BY Jaymes "Teeny Pyjamas" Payten

MORE

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment