This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Atheist wins "The American Bible Challenge"

Atheist wins "The American Bible Challenge" - Comments

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 1 by Neodarwinian

What is GSN and why would they not admit only religious wackaloons?

Fri, 27 Jul 2012 20:21:02 UTC | #950185

bluebird's Avatar Comment 2 by bluebird

GSN - Game Show Network.

link text

"...most given away book..." lol - yes, re-gift that darn thing!

Fri, 27 Jul 2012 20:58:16 UTC | #950186

zengardener's Avatar Comment 3 by zengardener

The average atheist may know more about the bible than the average theist, but there are many more theists.

It sounds like it would be fun to win and then give a speech about how you managed the task without God's help. Aside from that it would be a huge waste of time.

Fri, 27 Jul 2012 21:18:49 UTC | #950188

Floyd's Avatar Comment 4 by Floyd

Matt Dillahunty from The Atheist Experience in Austin, Texas would be perfect for this if he wanted to do it. Someone ask him, I'm too lazy.

Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:15:35 UTC | #950190

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 5 by QuestioningKat

lol, that is a perfect title. You had me cheering until I read the post. As a former Catholic my knowledge of the Bible is lacking. Yes, Matt would be good at this. Hey Matt if you are reading this, are you up to the challenge.

Personally, I think an unknown atheist would be best. They wouldn't see it coming.

Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:14:37 UTC | #950192

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 6 by susanlatimer

I vote for Ignorant Amos. I would love to see that.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:42:17 UTC | #950196

bluebird's Avatar Comment 7 by bluebird

The show casts two teams of three. You and me and the devil makes three ;)

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:59:08 UTC | #950198

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 8 by sunbeamforjeebus

Floyd in comment 4 is right, Matt Dillahunty plus any 2 of his fellow presenters would win easily.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:30:38 UTC | #950212

JackR's Avatar Comment 9 by JackR

Yep. Dillahunty trained as a pastor and he knows the bible chapter and verse.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:00:57 UTC | #950214

JuJu's Avatar Comment 10 by JuJu

Teresa Mcbain, having spent a lot of research time attempting to confirm her beliefs (we all know how that turned out), would also be an ideal candidate along with Matt Dillahunty in a contest like this.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:45:48 UTC | #950221

JuJu's Avatar Comment 11 by JuJu

And let's not forget The Thinking Atheist.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:47:41 UTC | #950222

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 12 by aroundtown

I like the idea that this could happen. I would hope for a query of the winning atheist as to how they became so knowledgeable and the winner could respond that they were drawn to research of fictional myth's and legends created in the minds of Humans.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:23:00 UTC | #950240

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 13 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 6 by susanlatimer

I vote for Ignorant Amos. I would love to see that.

No chance....I'm sunning it up in sunny EspaƱa....again.... until further notice. Anyway Jerry (JHJ) is the man....he's already on station in the states and has a knowledge of biblical stuff that is second to none.

Thanks for your vote of confidence all the same Susan. I reckon most non believing members of this site, if not all, would wipe the floor with the run-of-the-mill believer on their knowledge of the contents of their not-so-good book and would give the knowledgeable woo wooist a good run for their money too. The bible basher's only think they know what is in their scriptures....based on here-say of course, after all, who would lie about such things. At least that's my take from the interactions on here over a number of years.The average holy roller pitches up and reckons themselves to know a wee bit only to have a spare one tore and handed to them on a platter.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 21:31:10 UTC | #950247

imokyrok's Avatar Comment 14 by imokyrok

Robert Price, Hector Avalos, Richard Carrier or Bart Erhman - all could be 'contenders'.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 21:57:34 UTC | #950248

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 15 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 14 by imokyrok

Robert Price, Hector Avalos, Richard Carrier or Bart Erhman - all could be 'contenders'.

Of course. Those contenders make their living on such matters, but I think we are considering someone that the religious would perceive as a pleb, for the challenge. No disrespect to Jerry, who I think very highly of...or the numerous members of this site, who are experts in all sorts of fields, but the holy rollers come here and assume we are all plebs on matters of a biblical nature. The folk on your list are experts, I think the OP is about amateurs stepping up to the plate and making a pigs arse of the average off-the-street bible basher.

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:15:30 UTC | #950252

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 16 by JHJEFFERY

Comment 15 by Ignorant Amos

No disrespect to Jerry

Paul, I don't think that was aimed at me but just in case it was, I am no Bible scholar. I have read the book and Crossan and Price and Ehrman (and some true believers) and have taken a master's course or two on it, but I read neither Greek nor Aramic and my actual biblical knowledge is probably less than your own.

I do have a passing knowledge of the period from 1 to 284, but I'm afraid I am severely limited after 333. On the other hand, if you want to know something about the only important era of the Christian experience (284-333 CE), I can go there. BTW--Tried to email Ehrman something about the Feast of Terminalia (302-303) and he begged off--said he couldn't go past 300. (But I noticed that he did so in his lastest book!).

Anyway, if that was intended for me, thanks for the compliment. Otherwise ignore this post in the entirety.

Best

JHJ

Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:55:00 UTC | #950256

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 17 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 16 by JHJEFFERY

Paul, I don't think that was aimed at me...

Well it was mate...hence my reference in brackets at comment 13.

...but just in case it was, I am no Bible scholar.

I beg to differ. Anyone studying the bible and the era in which it was written and put together, at any level of learning and for the purpose of understanding the truth of the matter, is in my view, a scholar.

"Scholarly method or scholarship is the body of principles and practices used by scholars to make their claims about the world as valid and trustworthy as possible, and to make them known to the scholarly public."

Which is why the following proves my point.

I have read the book and Crossan and Price and Ehrman (and some true believers) and have taken a master's course or two on it,...

And this is why, since being a member of this site, I've read more books on these subjects than all the books read in the previous 45 years of my existence, and why I decided to go back to school earlier this year. The challenge set by being surrounded by such a wealth of knowledge from the eclectic bunch that make up the RD.net family is quite an incentive to better ones understanding of things, lots of things.

...but I read neither Greek nor Aramic and my actual biblical knowledge is probably less than your own.

Well the language thing is probably what defines the amateur from the professional. The thing is, with the internet and the vast library of books and papers available to everyone via the web, it's just a case of reasonable memory and an interest in the subject matter.

I do have a passing knowledge of the period from 1 to 284, but I'm afraid I am severely limited after 333. On the other hand, if you want to know something about the only important era of the Christian experience (284-333 CE), I can go there.

My case in point. Is there anyone who you are aware of that is fully versed in the 2000 years of Christianity?

BTW--Tried to email Ehrman something about the Feast of Terminalia (302-303) and he begged off--said he couldn't go past 300. (But I noticed that he did so in his lastest book!).

Ehrman has lost a lot of credibility by his ham-fisted approach to his latest book with regards to his researching and referencing. It's a pity really, because it casts an unwarranted bad light on his other work and the manner in which he dismisses criticism does him no favours either.

Anyway, if that was intended for me, thanks for the compliment.

If the cap fits. Don't forget, I've read your thesis on Lucius Caecilius Firmianus Lactantius and the valid argument you make for his influence on the development of early Christianity, also the critical acclaim you received from Prof. Elizabeth Depalma Digeser who is no slouch on the subject. Which makes you a scholar IMHO.

BTW, I've had to reset my laptop and lost a lot of stuff including your dissertation, would it be too much to ask for another copy...just for future reference.

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:19:40 UTC | #950278

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 18 by JHJEFFERY

Comment 17 by Ignorant Amos

Thanks again. I think I was restricting "biblical scholar" to the knowledge of the instrument whereas I deal more with its historicity, but I take your point.

My case in point. Is there anyone who you are aware of that is fully versed in the 2000 years of Christianity?

No, this is true. The sheer volume of data prohibits such a thing. I know a PhD historian of great respect whose area of expertise is 17th century religion with an emphasis on sermons. He's writing a book about them. Can't wait :)

I'll shoot you another copy of the Lactantius thesis. If you want to go more esoteric, I have a shorter paper, admittedly not as well put together, on consubstantiation as seen by Lactantius and Constantine.

BTW, for all, when I referred to reading books by believers on another thread, I was actually thinking about just finishing "The Age of Revelation." It was written by someone I swear I had never heard of named Boudinot, who, believe it or not, was President of the the first Continental Congress in America (pre-constitution). If you see it in the library, thumb through it for a moment. I am mulling over the idea that it may be the worst book I have ever read. It is a rejoinder to Paine's "Age of Reason" and just chock full of biblical knowledge.

JHJ

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:52:51 UTC | #950287

Quine's Avatar Comment 19 by Quine

Unfortunately, any game show is going to be about regurgitation of text, and not about how it came to be or issues of truth.

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:53:59 UTC | #950288

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 20 by JHJEFFERY

Comment 17 by Ignorant Amos

Paul, I'm not sure I properly labeled your email address. Give me a hint--does it have "33" in it?

JHJ

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:11:44 UTC | #950290

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 21 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 20 by JHJEFFERY

Paul, I'm not sure I properly labeled your email address. Give me a hint--does it have "33" in it?

Yes mate.

Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:08:29 UTC | #950304

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 22 by SaganTheCat

[Comment 5](/discussions/646600-atheist-wins-the-american-bible-challenge/comments?page=1#comment_950192) by  [QuestioningKat](/profiles/174158)          :

lol, that is a perfect title. You had me cheering until I read the post.  As a former Catholic my knowledge of the Bible is lacking.  Yes, Matt would be good at this. Hey Matt if you are reading this, are you up to the challenge.Personally, I think an unknown atheist would be best. They wouldn't see it coming.

you could respond to each question with "sorry, could you read that again in latin?"

Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:07:53 UTC | #950307

Purgatory's Avatar Comment 23 by Purgatory

I heard that Jeff Foxworthy is behind that show. He's the "You may a redneck..." guy.

Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:08:15 UTC | #950308

Vicar of Art on Earth's Avatar Comment 24 by Vicar of Art on Earth

This is a game show for the average person, not an academic audience so amazing feat of scholarship would not be required. It also strikes me that most thinking non believers in the Bible usually have read the book and the context it was created more than the average believer which could work against any one from our side. I still can get people to drop their jaws when I quote Sam Harris's comments on slavery from the Timothey, they just don't believe it.

However, it would be a wonderful PR piece if the majority of people playing the game were not believers.

Wed, 01 Aug 2012 01:07:38 UTC | #950346

Barbara Necker's Avatar Comment 25 by Barbara Necker

Have you ever seen "The Atheist Experience" on You Tube? It's broadcast from bible-thumpin' country -- Austin Tx & the head honcho is Matt Dillahunty, an ex-preacher. Matt regularly wipes up the floor with callers who challenge his atheism. This show is on every Sunday afternoon around 4 or 5 p.m.

Fri, 03 Aug 2012 03:54:43 UTC | #950380

adey5's Avatar Comment 26 by adey5

What about Richard Carrier or Dr Francesca Stavrakopoulou

Sat, 04 Aug 2012 14:10:56 UTC | #950400

ngc05's Avatar Comment 27 by ngc05

It is not difficult for an atheist to win a debate on the bible. In fact, one wonders how a person who reads the book without prejudice cannot reach the conclusion that it is a large amount of mistakes (some of them really bulky), fantasy, unfairness and omissions. The book is of course interesting and respectable on account of its antiquity. But the proof it is not the word of any spirit is simply the contents of the book.

Mon, 06 Aug 2012 22:55:39 UTC | #950469

tenniscoach's Avatar Comment 28 by tenniscoach

Hi, sorry to be a bit off topic but didn't know a discussion that would fit my enquiry. Can someone tell me how to purchase Jim Lassiter's "Secular Truth and Morality" on Amazon etc.. because I can't seem to get a response from his website and it seems to say you can only by via 'ebook' or something which I don't know how to do or don't have the tools/software for.

Thanks M.Sorby

Tue, 07 Aug 2012 01:36:59 UTC | #950474

fennia's Avatar Comment 29 by fennia

Missing the point. Its less about knowing then believing... When belivers "study" the bible they focus on their particular "strain" of belief . Just see the snails so to speak and miss all the fossils. Because it is guided by mememial prejudice the interpretation is standing in the way of objective scrutiny. Or rather the will to interpret is polarizing the objectivity.

Wed, 08 Aug 2012 08:39:38 UTC | #950513

bluebird's Avatar Comment 30 by bluebird

'ABC' premieres on GSN 23 Aug 8 ET/PT - Contestants who have a passion for the bible will tell compelling back-stories and answer with facts.

Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.......not :/

Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:33:41 UTC | #950518