This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

Good News Club sees 28 percent growth

The Christian fundamentalist Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) and its project, the "Good News Clubs," is bragging about its growth. RDFRS US interviewed Katherine Stewart, author of The Good News Club: The Christian Right's Stealth Assault on America's Children a couple of times about this disturbing evangelical outreach that targets school children, so I thought their latest figures would be of interest.

According to the CEF, it has seen an 11% growth in its "outreach" during the year 2011 and has targeted over 12 million kids through direct interaction. This does not include its huge media efforts, which it thinks has reached another 6 million children. The "Good News Clubs" have seen a 28% increase and over the last 8 years, 250,000 people have been trained as Good News Club teachers.

They also lure kids in with a website that has bright, colorful games and cartoons. After you dig around, you find that it teaches,

"The Bible says, 'all have sinned' (Romans 3:23). That means everyone, you and me too. Everyone is born with a 'want to' to do wrong. Nobody had to teach us how to disobey or to tell lies. God says that sin must be punished. The punishment is to be separated from God for ever in a place of suffering…a place called hell. That is what you and I deserve."

It then promises children salvation and teaches them how to be 'good Christians' by praying all the time and proselytizing:

"If you are truly sorry for displeasing God by your sin, you can trust Jesus to make you clean for ever. You could tell Him something like this: 'Lord Jesus, I am sorry for my sin. Thank you for dying for me. Please help me to turn from my sin and make me clean before God.' If you trust Jesus, God sees you clean and pure because of His Son. You are ready to live in Heaven. Also, you receive God’s gift of everlasting life. The Bible says, 'For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life' (John 3:16)." [...] "(1) Pray: talk to God every day; (2) Read and obey the Bible; (3) Tell others about Jesus; and (4) When you sin, ask God for forgiveness."

More about this ...

I've been following this group's activities for years and find it absolutely appalling. A couple of summers ago, for instance, they were bragging about how they can "convert" children and get them, and by extension their families, into their church activities by hanging out at public parks, apartment common grounds and so forth -- basically luring them in without parental consent.

TAGGED: ABUSE, CHILDREN, RELIGION

MORE BY DLB

MORE

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment