This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Good News Club sees 28 percent growth

Good News Club sees 28 percent growth - Comments

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 1 by Alan4discussion

I can see how those with childish minds and a simplistic worldview would have children identify with them.

Their need to convert others to prop up their weak intellect, is more likely to convince vulnerable children than educated adults!

Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:26:22 UTC | #950827

ecernyar's Avatar Comment 2 by ecernyar

I have been working for several months on a website about the Good News Club at http://www.goodnewsclubs.info. It includes an extensive review of Good News Club's entire curriculum and "gospel" message, as well as the Good News Club's history. I also produced a Youtube Video about the Good News Club. The Good News Club materials include a torrent of invective aimed like a knife at a child's self esteem. They are told they were born sinful, and because of that, they "deserve to die" and "to go to hell." It is stunning that Good News Club has enjoyed a good standing with the evangelical community since its beginning, rather than being marginalized like Jack Chick's Chick Tracts. There isn't any difference; it's at least as bad.

Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:05:41 UTC | #950841

Ahma's Avatar Comment 3 by Ahma

In their own Youtube Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDsf2QY0V-U&feature=related they state almost right at the beginning that: "Only fifteen percent of those who become Christian, do so after turning age fifteen"

Later in the Video, a Pastor says that:"If we do not manage to reach them as children, we might never do". The only reason i can think of is that as Adults, we simply cannot be influenced as easily by completely bogus claims. Yet they seem impervious to that line of thought. They are actually convinced they save the children.

As so many times i have to think of the following quote: “Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion." (Steven Weinberg)

Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:07:41 UTC | #950857

Sterwick's Avatar Comment 4 by Sterwick

If we put this into context, this could actually be a good sign.

Look at what they are resorting to- indoctrinating children by inserting text into colorful websites. If they have to go this far to encourage growth, it is a sign that they can see a continually more secular society, i.e. they are becoming desperate.

Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:03:26 UTC | #950877