← Pale Blue Dot

Pale Blue Dot - Comments

ebugogo's Avatar Comment 1 by ebugogo

Man, this is the kind of thing they should be showing in schools. Get kids thinking clearly right off the hop.Never mind the sky daddy B.S.

Mon, 14 May 2007 07:31:00 UTC | #37720

killer17112's Avatar Comment 2 by killer17112

Timeless and eloquent. I miss Carl.

Mon, 14 May 2007 08:20:00 UTC | #37739

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 3 by Cook@Tahiti

Classic. Immortal. Profound. Poignant.

No one does it better.

Mon, 14 May 2007 09:07:00 UTC | #37773

firemancarl's Avatar Comment 5 by firemancarl

Its too damn bad that we all don't think like Carl did/does in this video.

Mon, 14 May 2007 09:16:00 UTC | #37779

flyingscot's Avatar Comment 4 by flyingscot

Carl lives on indeed.
I wish they would show Cosmos on the television again and give children the chance to learn and understand the wonder of science. Adults could learn a thing or two also!
It was a wonderful series and it is as good today as when it was first aired.

Thank you Carl.

Mon, 14 May 2007 09:16:00 UTC | #37778

jam007's Avatar Comment 6 by jam007

Mon, 14 May 2007 10:18:00 UTC | #37812

nogod's Avatar Comment 7 by nogod

the cosmos i would say is the most important tv series ever aired .Its a shame that tv today is no where near as good.

Mon, 14 May 2007 10:30:00 UTC | #37820

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 8 by Friend Giskard

What a lovely video.

nogod says,

Cosmos was a blip. An anomaly. There will never be another program like it because TV is run by people to whom this stuff is not important, i.e. humanities graduates.

Mon, 14 May 2007 10:31:00 UTC | #37821

Riley's Avatar Comment 9 by Riley

I used to skip my High School science class so that I could sneak to my basement at home, turn the lights off, and watch "Cosmos".

Mon, 14 May 2007 10:36:00 UTC | #37824

Logicel's Avatar Comment 10 by Logicel

6. Comment #40500 by jam007 on May 14, 2007 at 11:18 am
See also this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47EBLD-ISyc

That vid is one of my faves, I play it at least weekly and I have subscribed to icecorescientist's channel. That guy is a talented musician who often adds original music to his vids.

Mon, 14 May 2007 10:40:00 UTC | #37827

mikkala's Avatar Comment 11 by mikkala

I'm just starting to read the "encyclopidea galactica" chapter of the book Cosmos. I can tell already I'm going to feel kinda sad when I finish it. Carl really has that effect on me. He grabs you by your very being and he humbles you.

Mon, 14 May 2007 12:05:00 UTC | #37863

Seti's Avatar Comment 12 by Seti

That's beautiful. How can anyone say atheism lacks beauty, poetry? Their god is way too small.

Mon, 14 May 2007 14:17:00 UTC | #37913

Jolly Wally's Avatar Comment 13 by Jolly Wally

Yes, their God is less than a pale blue dot.

Mon, 14 May 2007 14:49:00 UTC | #37936

Zaphod's Avatar Comment 14 by Zaphod

I have known of this video for some time. Carl Sagan was and still is great. Such passion for science and discovery.

Mon, 14 May 2007 18:39:00 UTC | #38026

tiff_seattle's Avatar Comment 15 by tiff_seattle

Mon, 14 May 2007 20:53:00 UTC | #38044

CDG's Avatar Comment 16 by CDG

The pale blue dot is beautiful and poetic Atheism.

On the other hand religion comes from the tight brown dot. If you catch my meaning.

Mon, 14 May 2007 21:03:00 UTC | #38046

catchy_nick's Avatar Comment 17 by catchy_nick

Its nice to see my video (all credit to Carl ofcourse for his beautiful words) posted here. I had been trying to figure out how to do it for a while. But thanks to whoever did it for me, I watch it everytime some petty shit in my life bothers me. Takes care of it right away. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. Peace.

Mon, 14 May 2007 21:09:00 UTC | #38047

David Williams's Avatar Comment 18 by David Williams

Carl is one of my greatest heroes and it was a joy to hear his voice again, after hearing him quote the pale blue dot it reminds me how proud I am to be an Atheist.

Tue, 15 May 2007 01:03:00 UTC | #38090

Seero's Avatar Comment 19 by Seero

A truly humbling and awe inspiring piece of film. I wonder if Cosmos is available to purchase on DVD? I'd love to own it.

You may find the following link amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOYfG0QGG0

Thanks

Tue, 15 May 2007 01:57:00 UTC | #38103

Veronique's Avatar Comment 20 by Veronique

I sen this video to everyone in my address book as my reflections on Good Friday.

It makes me weep; it is so beautiful. I must be very squishy and thank you guys for loving it as well.

We all miss him so much. But what a legacy he has left. I need to get this video into our local high school. It should be shown everywhere.

The biggest bummer was a reply I got from a Catholic friend I sent it to. She replied that she didn't see things the way I did, that Christ wanted us to love life and look after our environment. WTF? Some people are blind and no glasses will help them see.

In sorrow and hope
V

Tue, 15 May 2007 02:11:00 UTC | #38108

meepo's Avatar Comment 21 by meepo

Tue, 15 May 2007 02:12:00 UTC | #38110

ridelo's Avatar Comment 22 by ridelo

Email this video to at least one other person, its your moral duty.

I've forwarded this video to about 20 persons. Did my good deed for today.

Tue, 15 May 2007 03:58:00 UTC | #38142

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 23 by Cook@Tahiti

21. Comment #40811 by meepo

>i liked this one better

That version is good too - it set it up nicely, and with a good selection of clips, but the music soundmix level was wrong - Carl Sagan's eloquent speech was a little drowned out.

The Cosmos Vangelis music was better and it needs to be soft to emphasise the words.

Can anyone remix it to create a hybrid uber-version?

Tue, 15 May 2007 04:24:00 UTC | #38155

coretemprising's Avatar Comment 24 by coretemprising

said Seero:
I wonder if Cosmos is available to purchase on DVD? I'd love to own it.

But of course! Amazon, among other places:

DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Complete Landmark TV Series - 13 One Hour Episodes
Digitally Remastered, Restored and Enhanced
Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Updates
Subtitle Science Updates
New Footage
Bonus 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Music and Effects Track

Tue, 15 May 2007 05:13:00 UTC | #38169

Kamahuakala's Avatar Comment 25 by Kamahuakala

Cosmos and a history of religion should be required courses for every high school student in this nation and the world.

Tue, 15 May 2007 05:50:00 UTC | #38178

keith's Avatar Comment 26 by keith

I can't help thinking that this video would have gained something if the backing track hadn't been so much to the fore and consciously trying to tug at our heart strings. It made me think less of a documentary and more of a TV movie in which the action has become particularly poignant e.g. the death of a young loved one or a faithful dog. At this moment the director chooses to wheel on the big guns and put on the track that Richard Clayderman discarded from his coming CD for being too trite.
Carl Sagan once memorably said that he tried 'not to think with his gut', yet by appealling equally to our intelligence and to the part of us that has been sequestered by Hollywood, I can't help thinking he has fallen between two stools. I would like to believe he wasn't involved in the final choice of music. His voice would have been enough for me, though something less intentionally moving in the background could have been added for those who dislike silences or who find the human voice too stark.
Still, I suspect I'm just an old cynic, especially as this all seems to have gone down a storm with those who say they miss Carl (Really? You miss someone you have never met?) and with those who thank him for giving us such beauty (Was this said with Carl Sagan in mind or was it more for the people of this website to read and marvel at the depth of feeling of the person commenting?). Where and when did we acquire such a cloying sensibility?

Tue, 15 May 2007 06:05:00 UTC | #38189

Vadjong's Avatar Comment 27 by Vadjong

I got my copy of Cosmos years ago from CarlSagan.com, together with the 2-disc set of the music from the series.

In answer to Comment #40892 by keith :
The music used in this clip is a couple of notes from a fragment of an excerpt of a piece from the first half of the album Heaven & Hell by Vangelis, repeated on a loop. The longer fragment is the main title theme of the series and is since often referred to as Heaven & Hell/Theme from Cosmos.

They looped the signature opening notes, because the rest of the piece builds too strong to be used under spoken word. I agree that a lot of the music on the series has not aged well and has been done to death since (The Pachelbel Canon, anyone ?).
Still, this bit would have to be the first choice here.

Tue, 15 May 2007 11:09:00 UTC | #38343

Kakashi_monkey's Avatar Comment 28 by Kakashi_monkey

We only get one planet, and one chance.

Tue, 15 May 2007 16:02:00 UTC | #38529

Seero's Avatar Comment 29 by Seero

Thanks for the link coretemprising.

I have also discovered that when the series was re-issued as a 'Collector Edition', they made the whole lot Region 0 i.e. region free.

I've no excuse not to get this excellent series. It will make a nice accompaniment to Dr. Jacob Bronowski's 'The Ascent Of Man' which is also stunning on DVD.

Incidentally, I did a quick search on YouTube for some Cosmos clips and in the short space of 10 minutes of one clip, I found myself learning things. Things such as: two humpback whales can still communicate underwater at 20Hz even though one is near Alaska, and the other is near Antarctica!

Well I neverÂ…

Wed, 16 May 2007 03:11:00 UTC | #38671

jam007's Avatar Comment 30 by jam007

Comment #40743 by tiff_seattle on May 14, 2007 at 9:53 pm "Some thing I always wondered about that video is when he says "suspended in a sunbeam". Was that just Sagan being overly dramatic? I thought the picture was from the vantage point of viewing through one of Saturn's rings.
"

The Saturn one is a later picture. http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061016.html

Sagan is a slightly dramatic about the sunbeam. The sunbeam is a optical effect in Voyagers camera that was caused by the Sun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Anders M