← Scopes Two

Scopes Two - Comments

krogercomplete's Avatar Comment 1 by krogercomplete

Nice. Delay doesn't like questions about evolution, gays in the military, and abortion because they are part of CNN's liberal agenda to make the republican candidates look like cave men. If the shoe fits.

Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:14:00 UTC | #45253

GodlessHeathen's Avatar Comment 2 by GodlessHeathen

Is it me or did Delay just as much as state that the republican position on evolution, gays in the military, etc. is "Neanderthal"?

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 01:49:00 UTC | #45292

_J_'s Avatar Comment 3 by _J_

I remember years ago seeing that episode of Friends in which Phoebe declares a disbelief in evolution. At the time my response was partly sympathy with Ross (who virtually tripped over his jaw in astonishment) and partly to think 'Oh, those zany comedy writers - what crazy notion will they put in Phoebe's ditsy head next?'

Lately I feel increasingly as though I'm living in some warped Phoebe-world. Serious-looking men in suits keep popping up stating, with completely straight faces, that they 'don't believe in' evolution. On television. In between sentences in which they claim, with complete sincerity, to be the most able person to run the most powerful nation on the planet.

Can everyone else see these videos? I'd just like some confirmation that I'm not actually going mad.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 02:42:00 UTC | #45299

GodlessHeathen's Avatar Comment 4 by GodlessHeathen

they are first and foremost, vote whores.
They, of course, have to be. Sadly that makes them reinforce utter claptrap of all sorts.

I forget who said that democracy works fine right up 'till the populace "realizes" they can vote in infinite bread and circuses.

In my view, a sky-daddy who will keep you safe, fed and loved so long as you kiss his divine behind is infinite bread and circuses.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:19:00 UTC | #45323

konquererz's Avatar Comment 5 by konquererz

This is classic. Tom Delay is ridiculous, acting like people who don't believe like huckabee are the silly ones. And I love how Matthews cuts down his hilarious CNN conspiracy theory, what a douche. Thats why republicans are so whack, they openly admit to crazy, provenly false fundamentalist christian beliefs.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:37:00 UTC | #45326

PrimeNumbers's Avatar Comment 6 by PrimeNumbers

Well, it's not just USA voters - it's the whole of the rest of the world who thinks that anyone who has this rigid fundamentalist biblical interpretation of the world is stark raving bonkers.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:46:00 UTC | #45330

flyingscot's Avatar Comment 7 by flyingscot

Truly mind numbing. What is wrong with these people? They obviously will do anything for a vote. What a bunch of Nincompoops!

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:48:00 UTC | #45331

Hip_Priest's Avatar Comment 8 by Hip_Priest

The Creationism-Homophobia-Torture party doesn't like aswering questions on creationism, gays or torture?

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:57:00 UTC | #45332

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 9 by Dr Benway

Delay essentially says that his rejection of evolution is ignorant. If he were a consistent person, he would surrender his problematic position.

Character means accepting the fact you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 06:06:00 UTC | #45333

Fishpeddler's Avatar Comment 10 by Fishpeddler

Comment #48204 by _J_
"Lately I feel increasingly as though I'm living in some warped Phoebe-world."

That reminds me of a similar reaction I had once when watching the MTV show "Singled Out". (Hey, don't blame me -- my darned roommates always had that crap on). That show's main gimmick was that they would determine which of three contestents got to go on a date with the bachelor/bachelorette of the moment by comparing their answers to random questions. The host asked the three young women, "Astrology: Fact or Fiction?". Two of the three said, "Fact". I just about fell over. Granted, it was a tiny sampling, but 67% believed astrology was factual!

I feel much better about that episode now, though, because it pales in comparison to the stomach-turning absurdities on display in the Republican debates.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 06:32:00 UTC | #45340

Jeffersonian-Marxist's Avatar Comment 11 by Jeffersonian-Marxist

The problem is this bible thumper really believes the rubbish he's spouting. It's a good thing Mike Huckabee, and the two other GOP candidates who say they don't believe in evolution, put together have 7% of republican voters on their side.

It's funny to watch Tom DeLay squirm and wriggle around like the worm he is when confronted on his silly CNN conspiracy theory. Having another republican in the white house would not be a theocracy, it would be an idiocracy (but hey what's the difference?).

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:03:00 UTC | #45356

Cool on Oolon's Avatar Comment 12 by Cool on Oolon

Good job I'm typing, because I'm speechless. It would be funny if these utter, utter imbeciles were not at the hub of American political life. I seriously fear for the future of the planet, and for my children.
How can one hold a serious debate with people who believe... anything they damn well want, evidence or not?
Wake up, America: for all our sakes, wake up.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:55:00 UTC | #45364

MAS2007's Avatar Comment 13 by MAS2007

Looks like the republicans candidates are making a very strong case for eugenics, to remove this defective thinking.

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:58:00 UTC | #45449

Salvatore's Avatar Comment 14 by Salvatore

"... make them look like neaderthals."

Nah, these jokers are too lanky. Maybe like thin H. heidelbergenses...

Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:42:00 UTC | #45496

bamboospitfire's Avatar Comment 15 by bamboospitfire

"You don't believe in [evolution]? So you're a neanderthal."

Priceless.

I don't think anyone was necessarily trying to make these men appear primitive of mind. They are quite capable of doing that all by themselves.

Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:03:00 UTC | #45629

ksskidude's Avatar Comment 16 by ksskidude

I think what Chris Matthews should have said was, that the reason the question is asked about evolution, is to determine your capacity to THINK. Your capacity to interpret information and come to a logical conclusion. Obviously Delay, Huckabee, the rest of the non-evolutionist are incapable of running a classroom let alone a country. Thats what Matthews should have said!!

Thu, 14 Jun 2007 05:30:00 UTC | #46934

Tumara Baap's Avatar Comment 17 by Tumara Baap

This is disgusting. Someone needs to stand up for neanderthals. It is now known our ancient cousins were in fact very brainy. It is insulting to neanderthals to lump them together with contemporary dimwits such as DeLay and Huckabee.

Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:56:00 UTC | #47575

mspatriot9's Avatar Comment 18 by mspatriot9

Did I miss a memo?

Wasn't Delay supposed to be in the slammer?

I am just shaking my head at his question of why bring this up, is this something the people actually care about?

Um YEAH.

I personally, as a natural American citizen, a taxpayer, a human, really prefer to know whether the candidates are sane, rational and properly educated OR if they're suffering from a delusional brainwashing that an invisible magician in the sky waved a wand and *poof* life happens....

Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:22:00 UTC | #48453

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 19 by Matt H.

"Those issues are not important today."

I think evolution, gay civil rights and global warming are three VERY important issues, especially the last one.

Tue, 02 Oct 2007 04:19:00 UTC | #71640