← Interview with Richard Dawkins about 'The Enemies of Reason'

Interview with Richard Dawkins about 'The Enemies of Reason' - Comments

Janus's Avatar Comment 1 by Janus

The interviewers were soooooo annoying. Let the Professor speak, for the FSM's sake!

Kudos to RD for remaining calm and composed. I'm very much looking forward to The Enemies of Reason.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:19:00 UTC | #59682

maton100's Avatar Comment 2 by maton100

The interviewers *were* the enemies of reason.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:28:00 UTC | #59685

Ohnhai's Avatar Comment 3 by Ohnhai

Richard and Judy (a couple for those that didn't pick up the subtle hints)are just there to fill air time when no one of any import want to watch TV. They are so used to their own voice they feel strange when they cant hear it.

Judy, with her cross on prominent display and a few pointed comments I'm sure wanted to rial against Richard more than she did...

again. Richard was calm and collected, and kept on with the message "Show me the evidence and, I might belive. But not until then"

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:42:00 UTC | #59687

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 4 by Cartomancer

I've never been able to take Judy Finnegan seriously since I saw Jarvis Cocker lobbing small wax-wrapped cheeses at a giant rolling-eyed picture of her face with wobbly musical teeth all those years ago...

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:52:00 UTC | #59690

John the Atheist's Avatar Comment 6 by John the Atheist

Sign me up for the DVD when it comes out...

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:55:00 UTC | #59693

bwana ndege's Avatar Comment 5 by bwana ndege

I thought they (well Richard) were quite reasonable although it is obvious that Judy had some 'issues'. Her xtian symbol of torture seemed to be particularly prominent in this clip.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:55:00 UTC | #59692

SMART's Avatar Comment 7 by SMART

Kinda ironic that Judy Finnegan was wearing a symbol of religious delusion around her neck!

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:02:00 UTC | #59694

Crazymalc's Avatar Comment 8 by Crazymalc

Janus: "...for the FSM's sake"

Ha! Very good!

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:22:00 UTC | #59697

Crazymalc's Avatar Comment 9 by Crazymalc

From the clip: "It's been proven to me against my rationality."

Huh?

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:29:00 UTC | #59698

Zaphod's Avatar Comment 10 by Zaphod

Richard(host) seemed more rational than Judy, Judy seemed like she wanted to believe certain things.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:32:00 UTC | #59699

marcdesm's Avatar Comment 11 by marcdesm

James Randi has done a lot of work debunking paranormal claims in the past. He even has a 1 million dollar prize for anyone who can demonstrate such abilities.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:35:00 UTC | #59700

Hobbit's Avatar Comment 12 by Hobbit

I'm not sure who is the bigger TWIT, her or him for being married to her?

At least he could see the logical argument being presented. She just wanted to argue "Well my next door neighbors Aunty Muriel had a psychic find water in her loo once, so it must be true".

But then again, she has the sky fairy symbol around her neck so logic is not one of her strong points!

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:43:00 UTC | #59702

a-teapot-ist's Avatar Comment 13 by a-teapot-ist

Randi and Dawkins ought to do a book together on this kind of pseudo-science clap-trap.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:58:00 UTC | #59703

MrEmpirical's Avatar Comment 14 by MrEmpirical

Why do so many people on this site get stuck into the interviewers whenever Dawkins appears on TV? It's almost like some of the board members expect interviewers to be hostile to Dawkins, and they project this expectation onto the interviewers, seeing hostility when it isn't there. Sure, some interviewers have been genuinely irritating or irrational, but on many other occasions they have simply posed counterarguments to Dawkins', giving him a chance to rebut.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:02:00 UTC | #59710

Bri.'s Avatar Comment 15 by Bri.

Whether the interviewers are annoying or not it's good that the prof. got air-time on the show. Richard and Judy is quite a high profile daytime programme and the interview would have been seen by quite a few people who believe in mumbo-jumbo. It's a pity the slot wasn't longer though.
I'm really looking forward to tonights programme.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:42:00 UTC | #59716

automath's Avatar Comment 16 by automath

Judy reminds me of my next door neighbour, who always likes telling me about the bible she keeps in the kitchen and how all the changes to our life have been because of the loss of religion. (such a wonderful and quaintly old english attitude to the world)

I noticed that Judy managed to drop in the idea that the rise in superstition is due to the loss of faith (belief) in God. Well ignored btw :)

I agree with the other comments that say this is a good interview especially for targeting the market segment that are most likely to be superstitious. The Richard and Judy format is one that is very popular over here with middle England, and is quite a good wind down program of popular chat.

I feel so lucky that I stumbled onto the search for truth at an early age instead of fostering the will to believe.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:21:00 UTC | #59720

RobertlewisIR's Avatar Comment 17 by RobertlewisIR

Not a bad interview. But in answer to the Uri Geller question: he's tampered with the spoons in advance. That's how he does it.

Wish I could see the program when it airs. Guess I'll just have to wait for a DVD.

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:32:00 UTC | #59724

Sigmund's Avatar Comment 18 by Sigmund

Lets see, they are married, work together, live together, do everything together and spend almost 24 hours a day in each others company and yet occasionally have very similar dreams.
Its a miracle ! There can be no other explanation!
(Mind you, why is it that when I heard them say this the very first thought that went through my head was "yes, of course you do, its probably the nightmare realization of 'Aaaaaargh, I've married Judy Finnegan/Richard Maddley'" ?)

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:42:00 UTC | #59725

arthurmee's Avatar Comment 19 by arthurmee

I agree with Bri above. I wouldn't normally dream of watching Richard and Judy but millions do, and that's good for getting Richard's views and his programme publicised, which is, I'm sure the very reason that he agreed to appear.

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:15:00 UTC | #59727

TeapotTheist's Avatar Comment 20 by TeapotTheist

I wouldn't normally dream of watching Richard and Judy but millions do

How many miracles is that!

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:11:00 UTC | #59736

Darwin's badger's Avatar Comment 21 by Darwin's badger

That was worth watching just to see Judy spitting her dummy out. "But you believe that Uri Gellar bends spoons!" :)

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:14:00 UTC | #59737

nothing's Avatar Comment 22 by nothing

I agree that it was well ignored.

However Judy unintentionally has made the point that people have replaced one kind of superstition with other kinds of superstition.

It seems a fair hypothesis that people who are no longer able to hold onto the first kind of superstition (blind faith in dogmas) have sought out other sorts of superstition (the wishy-washy ideas of the "New [Dark] Age".)

All in "a search for meaning" perhaps?

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:45:00 UTC | #59742

He'sAVeryNaughtyBoy's Avatar Comment 23 by He'sAVeryNaughtyBoy

It looked like Judy was hating every minute of it, not because she believes in woo-woo but because she realised that if you're criticizing paranormal bunkum for lack of evidence then the same can be applied to the symbol of torture worn around her neck.

It was good to see RD hammering home the point about evidence - every other sentence contained something along the lines of "show me the proof". Good for getting in the "it's not about what I believe" line in too. A lot of people don't seem to understand that.

Richard seemed to be enjoying himself, as if this whole reason thing was a new enlightening experience (/irony). I hope RD took him aside after the show and explained how that con-man Geller does his spoon bending shenanigans. Any one know if he's a commited xtian?

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:48:00 UTC | #59744

Chris Walsh's Avatar Comment 24 by Chris Walsh

Man - Judy looked like she couldn't get the interview over with fast enough. She really seems unsettled by Richard's assertions on God.

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:21:00 UTC | #59752

aoratos philos's Avatar Comment 25 by aoratos philos

na Judy is always nervous on TV, even after all the years she has been broadcasting. Richard was bearable this time, he's often patronising to his guests.
Which is why I've dubbed them "Jitter and Rudy" :)

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:41:00 UTC | #59761

aleprechaunist's Avatar Comment 26 by aleprechaunist

Of course, we should be careful not to generalise that 'Richards are more rational that Judys'... controlled tests need to be conducted!

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:59:00 UTC | #59764

USA_Limey's Avatar Comment 27 by USA_Limey

Ahhh.... Richard and Judy, something I do NOT miss about my native land.

I'll say one thing for the good 'ole US of A, no women as old and ugly as Judy would get a show over here.

Adieu!

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:07:00 UTC | #59765

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 28 by tieInterceptor

so, Is it tonight at channel 4?

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:17:00 UTC | #59767

Ilovelucy's Avatar Comment 29 by Ilovelucy

Richard Madley is a comedy god. We get two moments of greatness in this clip

1.Richard Madley- Do you believe that any palm reader, any gypsy rose, any of that lot...

2. Judy- We're losing our belief in God
Richard M- (gesturing towards Dawkins) Well, that's because of him!

Judy had a face like a smacked arse throughout the whole interview, her cross was very wonky by the end.

They finished the show with a segment about dancing dogs. Fantastic.

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:18:00 UTC | #59768

nickthelight's Avatar Comment 30 by nickthelight

Would I be an enemy of reason if I punched Richard Madley in the face as hard as I could?

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:27:00 UTC | #59771