← 'Root of All Evil? The Uncut Interviews' Released on DVD

'Root of All Evil? The Uncut Interviews' Released on DVD - Comments

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 1 by Shuggy

Some at least of the clips available after the trailer has run are parodies - I think.

Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:59:00 UTC | #64401

d4m14n's Avatar Comment 2 by d4m14n

I suspect I'll be buying this, but where's the uncut Ted Haggard?

EDIT: just noticed it's NTSC format. If you're European, you might want to check your DVD player for compatibility.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 00:52:00 UTC | #64420

albacore's Avatar Comment 3 by albacore

The original Root of all evil" dvd advertised in the right-hand panel is also only available in NTSC. I know the Americans probably need them more but a Europe-friendly format should surely be available too.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:00:00 UTC | #64421

CJ22's Avatar Comment 4 by CJ22

It's NTSC, but region-free. Just check your DVD and/or TV is capable of duel-format (most modern machines will be).

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:04:00 UTC | #64422

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 5 by Josh Timonen

For legal reasons, we weren't allowed to use the Ted Haggard footage. Sorry about that. Even without this, the interviews on this set are really great. I especially enjoy the Ian McEwan and Jill Mytton segments.

Josh

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:08:00 UTC | #64423

davorg's Avatar Comment 6 by davorg

Please consider releasing your DVDs in PAL format as well. We're not all Americans :)

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:18:00 UTC | #64425

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 7 by Josh Timonen

If you check the documentation for your PAL DVD player, it most likely plays NTSC DVDs as well. If your PAL DVD player does not support NTSC (some older PAL players may not), all computer DVD players can handle both NTSC and PAL DVDs.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:28:00 UTC | #64427

davorg's Avatar Comment 8 by davorg

I know that my DVD player doesn't play NTSC disks. There's an upgrade procedure, but it costs £30 and I haven't got round to it yet as I haven't needed it.

Is there some reason why it's hard for you to release these disks in both formats?

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:37:00 UTC | #64431

davorg's Avatar Comment 9 by davorg

Ignore me. I'm talking nonsense. My DVD player _does_ play NTSC DVDs. It's non-region 2 DVDs it can't play until I apply the hack. And that's not a problem with your DVDs - as they're multi-region.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'd still be interested to know why you can't produce both formats though.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:42:00 UTC | #64432

mdowe's Avatar Comment 10 by mdowe

Re: Comment #67851 by admin (Josh)

For legal reasons, we weren't allowed to use the Ted Haggard footage

The fact that you could not use the footage is in itself rather interesting. Can you elaborate on the reason? (Or can you not elaborate for legal reasons...).

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:52:00 UTC | #64433

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 11 by tieInterceptor

yeah, can you elaborate as much as you are allowed as why the full interview with Mr Haggard is off limits?

I'm really curious,

I still laugh at this farce in utube

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:57:00 UTC | #64448

MaxieZ's Avatar Comment 12 by MaxieZ

I really want more Yusef Calcuta (sp?) (Joseph Cohen). Mr. "I hate atheists"

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:35:00 UTC | #64463

ATH1's Avatar Comment 13 by ATH1

Oh, it just gets better!
What's the music in the background to the trailer?- it's nice & 'upbeat' :)

Keep up the good work RDF!

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:38:00 UTC | #64465

automath's Avatar Comment 14 by automath

For legal reasons, we weren't allowed to use the Ted Haggard footage.

Well there's a surprise :)

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:51:00 UTC | #64467

fergusg's Avatar Comment 15 by fergusg

Just in case you didn't realise (I almost didn't!) - this DVD doesn't contain the original series, just the extended interviews.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 04:09:00 UTC | #64472

Jonathan Dore's Avatar Comment 16 by Jonathan Dore

Most DVD players are capable of playing DVDs from anywhere -- they're simply disabled from doing so before being shipped. It's easy to re-enable them, and it doesn't cost any money or involve doing anything technical to the machine itself: you just have to input a code of a few digits using your remote control, and you only have to do it once.

Go to www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks, type the name of your DVD make and model into the search box, and if there's a code available to unlock your player, someone will probably have posted it. If you input the "region free" code (rather than just changing it from one region to another), your player will automatically load and play discs from any region, so you don't have to change it again or input any further code. Just sit back and watch DVDs from all over the world!

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 04:29:00 UTC | #64478

plastictowel's Avatar Comment 17 by plastictowel

I noticed on the google video version of ROAE Haggard pulls up in a truck and kicks Dawkins off the property. However when I purchased the ROAE DvD this footage was omitted. How is only a portion of the interview legal, but all this other footage not? Or is even that asking too much?

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 04:30:00 UTC | #64479

Cregaune's Avatar Comment 18 by Cregaune

I'm sure Mr Dawkins has got more than a few pennies to rub together without having to stoop to the flogging of second rate DVDs? I've already paid him his royalty fees when I handed over my money for The God Delusion and I'm sure he got paid handsomely by Channel 4 for the original series of the 'Root of All Evil'. How much of that was donated to the foundation?

So, can you please send me a link to download this DVD without charge?

Thanks a lot.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 05:45:00 UTC | #64488

pewkatchoo's Avatar Comment 19 by pewkatchoo

d4m14n
"where's the uncut Ted Haggard?" In some rentboy allegedly.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:16:00 UTC | #64495

mdowe's Avatar Comment 20 by mdowe

18. Comment #67916 by Cregaune

I'm sure Mr Dawkins has got more than a few pennies ...

I'm sure Prof. Dawkins is beyond the need to make money at this point, but I'm guessing he wasn't the only person involved with the production. I'll go out on a limb here and hazard a guess that there might be other people involved that *do* need their paychecks!

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:52:00 UTC | #64501

Tintern's Avatar Comment 21 by Tintern

Perhaps Ted Haggard could agree to the interviews being used in return for some royalties, as he and his wife desperately need the money to go back to college. It's a win win situation!

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:32:00 UTC | #64506

DarwinsPitbull's Avatar Comment 22 by DarwinsPitbull

Why does it even matter if Dawkins has been paid plenty for his series and book, why do you think he should give it to you for free because you bought the book? In that case, Bill Gates should give me the new version of windows for free since I have windows xp and Audi should give me a new car because I have already paid for one of there cars.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:28:00 UTC | #64511

d4m14n's Avatar Comment 23 by d4m14n

The proceeds go to the RDF, not RD's pockets. What's the fuss?

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:36:00 UTC | #64513

Cregaune's Avatar Comment 24 by Cregaune

Which is better for the public good........that this kind of material is put into the public domain or that the RDF lines its coffers?

Also, "...ALL proceeds go to the RDF" would seem to indicate that Channel 4 (and/or the production company) is getting no revenue from this DVD. If they were prepared to release the footage free gratis then I don't think it's too much to ask that RD releases it in the same spirit.

Every day under the 'news' section we get lots of links to YouTube video that's been released into the public domain (e.g. the recent interview of Christopher Hitchens on CSPAN). I find it at least interesting that RD doesn't seem to share the same ideals.

I know I'm in danger of qualifying as a 'troll' here but I genuinely think there's a point to answer.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:02:00 UTC | #64514

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 25 by Josh Timonen

Cregaune,
A fee was paid by us to IWC to obtain and use the raw tapes. As for the other videos you are referring to on youtube, these are NOT public domain, and very frequently DO get pulled down if spotted by the copyright holders.

We are offering two of the interviews free on the website (see the article above), so please enjoy these if you don't want to pay for the DVD.

Josh

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:15:00 UTC | #64515

1town's Avatar Comment 26 by 1town

I wanted to see more of that jew-turned-muslim, he scared the shit out of me :p

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:15:00 UTC | #64534

+++eshu+++'s Avatar Comment 27 by +++eshu+++

Bad cover design, would prefer to own a nice box set with sweet typography and cover art, its the big deciding factor for me in spending ca$h. Otherwise i just wait until i can download something. Lots of designers would do this for free, you should ask for submissions in the future. Sorry Josh, who designed the cover, built this website and can probably just delete my comments ;)

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:15:00 UTC | #64539

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 28 by Agrajag

4. Comment #67850 by CJ22 on September 5, 2007 at 2:04 am

...Just check your DVD and/or TV is capable of duel-format (most modern machines will be).

I love a good fight! Swords or pistols at 20 paces? :-)
Steve

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:59:00 UTC | #64545

Tack's Avatar Comment 29 by Tack

I'm quite disappointed to hear we won't be able to see more of Haggard's arrogant inanity. Nevertheless my copy's on order. :)

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:41:00 UTC | #64577

ClosetRebel's Avatar Comment 30 by ClosetRebel

Is this DVD available in English subtitles or Closed Captioned for the Deaf?

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:21:00 UTC | #64599