← What's Good About Religion?

What's Good About Religion? - Comments

room101's Avatar Comment 1 by room101

...abrahamic triangle of insanity...

I love that line describing the 3 monotheisms.

Also:

...buddhism - a religion with no gods, like a prison with no walls...

I've seen this guy on youtube before. I like his fluid style and delivery.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:00:00 UTC | #78631

jimmm33's Avatar Comment 2 by jimmm33

Pat Condell is awesome. I have been watching his videos since the first one. I love his approach. He uses humor to really hit hard and twist the blade.

He is the best of the "YouTube Atheists". Much better than CapnoAwesome.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:29:00 UTC | #78644

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 3 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

I've been a fan for sometime too. Brilliant stuff.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:59:00 UTC | #78654

Nusmus's Avatar Comment 4 by Nusmus

What a prick. lol

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:33:00 UTC | #78669

notsobad's Avatar Comment 5 by notsobad

"This is our way of seeing how God created the universe and they want to make as strong a statement as possible that truth doesn't contradict truth; that if you have faith, then you're never going to be afraid of what science is going to come up with.
"Because it's true."

..pure delusion

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:12:00 UTC | #78680

drbreakfast's Avatar Comment 6 by drbreakfast

This was brilliant. I almost spat out my lunch as I was watching this clip. I think this is funnier than the "why won't god heal amputees?" clips.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:42:00 UTC | #78693

Andr3w's Avatar Comment 7 by Andr3w

Pat Condell is brilliant and funny. He's like an older, and more cynical Christopher Hitchens. He makes regular posts to liveleak.com.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:48:00 UTC | #78712

Nick Good's Avatar Comment 8 by Nick Good

He's a terribly nice chap, he has an agreeable way with him. That said, I'd parse a few points with the fellow. Mind you, nothing to get worked up about, nothing to get in the way of politeness and civility; and, perhaps, more importantly, the sociable and very civilised imbibing of a decent Shiraz, from the fairest Cape!

Nick - South Africa

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:08:00 UTC | #78718

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 9 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

I'm subscribed to his youtube account, and never miss a clip. There was one that I found somewhat over the top, but generally he is spot on. Full spectrum mockery, no holds barred. Just the way it should be. This is exactly what Muslims need to hear more of, so they get used to it.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:38:00 UTC | #78727

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 10 by tieInterceptor

Pat is really good, I'm subscribed to his youtube account too.

my other favourites,

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:53:00 UTC | #78732

JackR's Avatar Comment 11 by JackR

I like Condell a lot. I have a few minor quibbles with what he says but they're nothing compared to how much I support and agree with his general approach. Kinda like the RRS: they don't always take the same line of attack I would, but I'm canny enough to realise that's probably a good thing. Condell, like the RRS, will reach people my tactics might miss. And vice versa. I like the fact that we atheists are coming at the enemy from all sorts of different angles.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:15:00 UTC | #78755

JackR's Avatar Comment 12 by JackR

Oh, and I'd add that I particularly appreciate Condell's willingness to go after Islam. That's something I do share with him. We're often accused of only "picking on" Christianity because it's safe. Not Condell. He goes right for the arse-waving Mohammedan morons too. I think that's necessary. When people try to intimidate you into silence, shout louder.

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:19:00 UTC | #78758

CruciFiction's Avatar Comment 13 by CruciFiction

Pat's videos are just awesome!

My favorite is his:

"Why Does Faith Deserve Respect?"

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:30:00 UTC | #78760

flyingscot's Avatar Comment 14 by flyingscot

Pat Condell is terrific, I always enjoy his videos.

Sat, 27 Oct 2007 06:59:00 UTC | #78881

bewlay_brother's Avatar Comment 15 by bewlay_brother

fantastic...ive never heard him speak, but the guy is so down to earth and rational..i love it. Especially the toupee line..very sharp

Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:47:00 UTC | #78992

quicksilver's Avatar Comment 16 by quicksilver

Religion benefits the collection basket industry, e.g.,

Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:54:00 UTC | #79249

gcdavis's Avatar Comment 17 by gcdavis

Pat Condell is a national treasure. He deserves a spot on TV (or Radio 4), maybe The Daily Show could offer him one. For those who haven't watched it the Daily Show is broadcast in the UK at 8.30 weekdays on More4

Mon, 29 Oct 2007 03:47:00 UTC | #79323

Eamonn Shute's Avatar Comment 18 by Eamonn Shute

Pat has a new video in which he asks "Was Jesus Gay?".

Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:49:00 UTC | #80697

Martin Hanson's Avatar Comment 19 by Martin Hanson

Pat Condell combines trenchant humour with the fearless courage needed to confront the reality of Islamic totalitarianism head on - something that our spineless and venal politicians conspicuously lack.
Europe is, quite literally, threatened by the horrors of the inquisition, but instead of wielding bibles and burning people at the stake, the new inquisitors will be stoning women for the crime of being raped and homosexuals for the misfortune of inheriting the wrong genes. Wake up, before it is too late!

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:11:00 UTC | #341855

Martin Hanson's Avatar Comment 20 by Martin Hanson

When Tabo Mbeke publicly refused to accept that AIDS is caused by a virus, he was universally condemned — yet for some reason religious leaders are considered to be above such criticism, even when they make equally idiotic and dangerous statements. Let us hope that Richard Dawkins' criticism is followed by even more straight talking, such as the recent blast in the Lancet. The Pope is an evil, bigoted ignoramus, and in a sane and just world he would be put on trial for endangering the lives of millions of people.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:06:00 UTC | #342778

Martin Hanson's Avatar Comment 21 by Martin Hanson

In its insistence that every unfertilised egg has a 'right' to be given the chance to be fertilised so that the 'soul' thus implanted should be given the chance to enter the kingdom of heaven, the Catholic church claims to be 'pro-life'. The reality is that in refusing to encourage poverty-stricken women to limit their family size, the Catholic church is condemning millions to poverty and hunger. Perhaps that is the intention, since the Catholic church seems to most successful in poor countries such as South America. One does not have to be a biologist to appreciate that for any species, in the long run births and deaths are in equilibrium. The Pope's pronouncements on birth control suggest that he prefers nature's solution to over-population, the Malthusian one.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:22:00 UTC | #342780

epeeist's Avatar Comment 22 by epeeist

Comment #359041 by Martin Hanson:

The implication of this is that women are purely there to provide a hatchery for these eggs. What other role in life do they have, except to be permanently pregnant?

Dante gives various punishments for popes in the Divine Comedy. Perhaps one of them ought to be in the permanent state of being 8 months pregnant.

Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:35:00 UTC | #342782