← The Year of Living Biblically

The Year of Living Biblically - Comments

windweaver's Avatar Comment 1 by windweaver

I note that the mantra of Ken Ham at his Answers in Genesis site is "The bible-true in every verse".
Why, then, isn't Ham living like this guy did? Surely he's a hypocrite for not doing so.

Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:37:00 UTC | #80767

Pieter's Avatar Comment 2 by Pieter

I love The Hour. seriously, everyone outside of canada is missing out.

Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:40:00 UTC | #80768

Theocrapcy's Avatar Comment 3 by Theocrapcy

"everyone outside of canada is missing out"

There's this thing called the interweb, and something they call youtube you might have heard about. ;)

Seriously though, yes its a great program, the dawkins and hitchens ones are good also. Unfortunately in Aus, we're stuck with Letterman and the Today Show as our dose of N. American tv. Sad.

Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:45:00 UTC | #80769

JamesDB's Avatar Comment 4 by JamesDB

Im a canadian and a big fan of george stroumbo. He is a actually getting a spot on a local radio station out here in Van. BC which just so happens to be on sundays. I didn't like the part about how he prayed a lot and ended up feeling like he was actually talking to someone at that time. I was raised in a christian household and used to pray but i always had that im only talking to myself feeling. I really dislike the idea that if you pray over and over you start to feel like you are talking to someone, isn't that along the lines of a mental illnesses. I guess religion really does fall into the category of mental illness. It messes with minds in a way few things can.

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 01:43:00 UTC | #80786

BicycleRepairMan's Avatar Comment 5 by BicycleRepairMan

Very interesting project, I think I just found another book to buy..

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:50:00 UTC | #80796

bluebird's Avatar Comment 6 by bluebird

This, and an earlier book about reading the entire set of Encyclopedia in one year are slated for the big screen:

Per this book: www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:59:00 UTC | #80798

sornord's Avatar Comment 7 by sornord

Interesting comment near the end...

Jacobs said he never prayed but doing so as part of this project led him to believe (only during course the project, one hopes.) His comment was about how much behavior influences thought.

To me this demonstrates how prayer is more than just a delusional comfort technique - thumb sucking for adults? - but also a tool by which the delusion is ingrained into and perpetuated by human psychology: the bedrock of the brain washing.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." - Joseph Goebbels

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:04:00 UTC | #80820

Greybishop's Avatar Comment 8 by Greybishop

That is not at all what I expected. I think I might have to buy a copy of his book.

One of my personal pet peeves with religion and religious folk in general is the notion of the faithful that they are living the Bible literally to the best of their ability. Having read the Bible a couple of times, I know that to be a lie, but it will be nice to have an accessible book to reference.

I'm not sure that this man has done himself a favour by doing this. It seems to me that he was better off BEFORE he did this, as he claims to have been agnostic and now is a "reverant agnostic", but it's his life and he's welcome to it. I loved his wife's reaction to the project. She deserves the year of foot massages!

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:35:00 UTC | #80849

a-teapot-ist's Avatar Comment 9 by a-teapot-ist

Someone needs to explain to Mr. Jacobs that christianity is not the only religion out there. So he needs to specify that he went, like every other believer, and took the faith to task that was most convenient. His always referring to "religion", when he only delved into one, is kind of disingenuous.

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 11:20:00 UTC | #80879

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 10 by tieInterceptor

I think he misses the point, throwing some peables to the face of the 70 year old adulterer "eye for an eye" did not invalidate the other commandment to stone him... TO DEATH,

I don't get how he can claim the bible is so full of gratefulnesses and wisdom and it's enriching, when there is stoning to death as part of it...

In youtube I ran by mistake into a video of a prisoner being decapitated with a rather small knife by the Taliban... that was VERY shocking and somehow traumatizing, I also seen the pictures of the woman half buried about to be stoned to death... those images remind me that words like "stoned to death" do have a horrible translation to acts in the real world, like shouting fire on a crowded theatre, they are not just words.

I think is not funny to gloss over stoning to death. Like it balances itself out because there is other good bits on the book.

for me it's not about balance, its a strike and out point.

If it's part of the holy text, then that is it! bin the book, find a better one, and stop making excuses.

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 11:58:00 UTC | #80887

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 11 by Matt H.

If I saw this book in a bookshop near me I would buy it.

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:18:00 UTC | #80893

Vardu's Avatar Comment 12 by Vardu

I was going to do the same thing with the Koran but, for one thing, I couldn't lay my hands on a airliner to crash into any buildings in order to take out a few infidels.

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:44:00 UTC | #80914

Duff's Avatar Comment 13 by Duff

Set the bears on those disobedient little children. Let's see him live up to that biblical injunction. What a freak!

Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:50:00 UTC | #80966

clatz's Avatar Comment 14 by clatz

Check out the link below the article to a film on christian boot camps:

Run for the hills people!

Scary.

Sun, 04 Nov 2007 01:34:00 UTC | #81006

dazzjazz's Avatar Comment 15 by dazzjazz

The media player doesn't work for me on that site. Does anyone know if the video lives anywhere else?

Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:45:00 UTC | #81026

NJS's Avatar Comment 16 by NJS

Missed opportunity to ask what we use to cherry pick the "wonderful" bits.

Also agree on the missing "to death".

Sun, 04 Nov 2007 03:52:00 UTC | #81035

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 17 by Tyler Durden

Wait for the apologists to start with the usual "That's not my version of the bible he used, I only follow the nice bits!" rubbish!!

I've read "The Know-It-All", his attempt to read the entire Encyclopædia Britannica - all 32 volumes - very, very funny book, recommend it.

Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:19:00 UTC | #81503

TeapotTheist's Avatar Comment 18 by TeapotTheist

dazzjazz - it works for me in Internet Explorer, but not in my standard browser (Firefox)

Thu, 08 Nov 2007 06:50:00 UTC | #82198