← 'Growing Up in the Universe' now available free online

'Growing Up in the Universe' now available free online - Comments

ATH1's Avatar Comment 1 by ATH1

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!
(to be read in an excited Homer Simpson style!)

Well done RDF! :)

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:07:00 UTC | #83902

BAEOZ's Avatar Comment 2 by BAEOZ

Cool. Though I bought the DVD. Still, good for others out there to see daggy early '90's fashions and a great science speaker in action.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:14:00 UTC | #83905

CruciFiction's Avatar Comment 3 by CruciFiction

This is just a great thing to do for the benefit of children everywhere.

Many thanks to Dr. Dawkins!

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:26:00 UTC | #83908

mejdrich's Avatar Comment 4 by mejdrich

Ah, yes, this has been on YouTube for a while. Nice to see an official version.

My favorite part is his show of "faith" with the solid weight on a rope. Good stuff.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:42:00 UTC | #83912

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 5 by gyokusai

This is so cool. Thank you very much!!! *smooch* :-))

^_^J.

EDIT:
Guess the servers are flat on their backs right now, each with an M1 Abrams on top. Can't even get the entry page to load fully, not to speak of the videos! Well ... 'twas to be expected, wasn't it.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:06:00 UTC | #83918

lorderan's Avatar Comment 6 by lorderan

Is any else having problems downloading this? It downloads incredibly slowly then eventually cuts off.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:30:00 UTC | #83920

Crazymalc's Avatar Comment 7 by Crazymalc

Wow. This is awesome. Thank you RDFRS and Prof. Dawkins.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:32:00 UTC | #83921

yyuryyub's Avatar Comment 8 by yyuryyub

I bought this a couple weeks ago!! Don't mind supporting RDF though. Look out for some of the questions Dawkins asks of his volunteers such as: "Have you ever used a mouse before?" 15 years is a long time technologically, and the DVD is worth watching just to see how far we've come.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:18:00 UTC | #83925

robertobech's Avatar Comment 9 by robertobech

Man, this is such an excellent idea... I confess I had already downloaded the whole thing through a torrent I found months ago. The only reason I haven't actually bought the DVD is that there are no portuguese subtitles, and man, I SO want to show this thing to my kids in the future that I'm even considering subtitling it myself.

I guess making these lectures available for free is a great move. Congratutalions to the RDF!

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:44:00 UTC | #83929

aoratos philos's Avatar Comment 10 by aoratos philos

Awesome.. I still have the TV VHS tapes from when it originally aired back in the early 90's. :D

In fact, it was the main thing that turned me onto science and biology in particular.

thank you RDF, perhaps we should get it distributed around UK schools and watch the "truth in science" lot blow a gasket? ;)

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:10:00 UTC | #83931

lukerazor's Avatar Comment 11 by lukerazor

What age group are these aimed at?

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:51:00 UTC | #83935

burn0gas's Avatar Comment 12 by burn0gas

richarddawkins.net, please setup the file downloads through a torrent... might help with the bandwidth problems.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:01:00 UTC | #83937

chutney's Avatar Comment 13 by chutney

Great! The wider the audience these Lectures reaches, the better. The DVD copy I bought is sat on the shelf waiting for my daughters to be old enough to fully appreciate it.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:58:00 UTC | #83954

Davybuoy's Avatar Comment 14 by Davybuoy

Thank Goodness! I can't wait for the weekend when I will watch these again this time with my daughter (of 7 months ;-) ). I will respond to this generous gift by making a donation to support the RDF.

Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:44:00 UTC | #83959

monkey74's Avatar Comment 15 by monkey74

I thank RDF and Mr Dawkins himself for posting the videos. I hope the technical problems will be fixed soon. I'm sure that many will truly enjoy these videos and hopefully share them with their friends and family. I will make a donation soon and would recommend everyone who downloads the video to try their best to make a continuing donation to the foundation.

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:43:00 UTC | #83961

epeeist's Avatar Comment 16 by epeeist

Comment #87951 by burn0gas

richarddawkins.net, please setup the file downloads through a torrent...

Yeah, let's get it up on the Pirate Bay!

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:01:00 UTC | #83963

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 17 by SilentMike

I can't get it to start downlaoding at all. I hope the problems. get solved soon.

richarddawkins.net, please setup the file downloads through a torrent...

According to robertobech (comment #87943) it's already on torrent. Since it's being given away anyway, how about just putting to links to the file sharing networks online (not that I have torrent installed, but it would help many others)?

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 02:21:00 UTC | #83970

davorg's Avatar Comment 18 by davorg

There goes my weekend :-)

Am I missing a subtle joke here? Why is each part labelled as an "Edpisode"?

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 02:47:00 UTC | #83973

Gondooley's Avatar Comment 19 by Gondooley

Thank you davorg, I thought I was the only one not getting the "Edpisode" joke!

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:52:00 UTC | #83979

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 20 by Eventhorizon

I remember watching these when I was younger. Better still - if I remember correctly - they were actually shown on the BBC on Christmas day. It didnt occur to me at the time but this was obviously the BBCs antidote to all the nonsense that is shown over the Christmas period.

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:19:00 UTC | #83983

konquererz's Avatar Comment 21 by konquererz

Wow, how cool is this? I have it on DVD, but maybe I will just stream it online when I'm not busy at work. LOL

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:34:00 UTC | #83997

ClemIsMe's Avatar Comment 22 by ClemIsMe

Enjoyed the hell out of the clips of these I have seen. Thanks so much!

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:01:00 UTC | #84003

zeocrash's Avatar Comment 23 by zeocrash

Bah, it's not working

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:25:00 UTC | #84010

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 24 by robotaholic

You are truely an awesome person Richard Dawkins - Thank you so much

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:42:00 UTC | #84024

ligfietser's Avatar Comment 25 by ligfietser

Torrent: http://isohunt.com/download/19927648/Universe+dawkins

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:51:00 UTC | #84026

skee360's Avatar Comment 26 by skee360

It's not working! Cant wait to watch this, I have something to do this weekend!

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:32:00 UTC | #84029

Homo skepticus's Avatar Comment 27 by Homo skepticus

Thanks Richard Dawkins from me, my son and my father.mejdrich commented "My favorite part is his show of "faith" with the solid weight on a rope. Good stuff" that is mine favorite too. Two months back I was debating few astrologer on national channel in India, I did the same thing (improvised a little i used weight lifting disks) and then asked astrologer to try their "faith" by standing in the middle of the swinging. No body had guts to take my challenge! I believe Prof. Dawkins will pardon my "plagiarism".

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:45:00 UTC | #84031

mummymonkey's Avatar Comment 28 by mummymonkey

#26
Thanks ligfietser.

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:46:00 UTC | #84042

A. Person's Avatar Comment 29 by A. Person

90s flashback.

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:57:00 UTC | #84057

OkiMike's Avatar Comment 30 by OkiMike

Prof. Dawkins,

My son and I thank you both! We will be purchasing a copy on DVD anyway to support your organization!

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:21:00 UTC | #84085