← 'Expelled' Movie: The Extended Trailer

'Expelled' Movie: The Extended Trailer - Comments

bradpitcher's Avatar Comment 1 by bradpitcher

Are you talking about the "Bad Ben Intro" where they flash this quote across the screen?
"If people think God is interesting, the onus is on them to show that there is anything there to talk about. Otherwise, they should just shut up about it."

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:35:00 UTC | #84183

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 2 by Cook@Tahiti

Oooh - evolution is one big conspiracy by a clandestine cabal of egg-headed scientists orchestrated out of their secret base underneath Darwin's House near London. Beware, the new Knights Templar.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:55:00 UTC | #84185

headcold's Avatar Comment 4 by headcold

Rtambree!!!

Remember the first rule of the cabal of egg-headed scientists:

1. There is no cabal of egg-headed scientists.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:58:00 UTC | #84187

jakelovatto's Avatar Comment 3 by jakelovatto

ben stein makes a speech and i think it is played at this conference.

I'm watching now and i'll try to say how many minutes in.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:58:00 UTC | #84186

jakelovatto's Avatar Comment 5 by jakelovatto

It is at the 27 minute mark when he is introduced just watching to see if the extended trailer is shown.

Slow streaming unforntunately

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:01:00 UTC | #84188

aoratos philos's Avatar Comment 6 by aoratos philos

jakelovatto is correct, you have to wait for the second win media file to play to watch the full clip.
The only clip of RD is where he says "as a scientist , i'm pretty hostile to rival scientific theories" or words to that effect.

I don;t know if this is what RD is referring to as being misedited? take a look.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:05:00 UTC | #84190

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 7 by Cook@Tahiti

Dawkins says he's hostile to a "rival doctrine" and it had an obvious cut (or edit) between shots as he was saying it.

Dawkins needs to have his own tape recorder with him at all times during interviews so he can't be quoted out of context.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:20:00 UTC | #84193

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 8 by Bonzai

Can you sue for willful misrepresentation?

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:24:00 UTC | #84194

Gymnopedie's Avatar Comment 9 by Gymnopedie

I'm not sure why everyone is caught up with the ID movie trailer, most of the event is a complete laugh-fest of spouting the first stupid thing that comes to mind.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:27:00 UTC | #84199

The author's Avatar Comment 10 by The author

Now, there we got another evil propaganda movie. Seems a bit more expensive this time.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:53:00 UTC | #84202

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 11 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

Another celebrity non-entity leveraging lunacy to elbow themselves temporarily back into the limelight. Pathetic really, especially at this guys age, and sort of sad.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:58:00 UTC | #84203

room101's Avatar Comment 12 by room101

First of all, F*** you Ben Stein, you disingenuous prick...

There, I feel better. Sorry, but I think that about captures how I feel regarding idiots like him and the other conservatives spinning this whole thing and making the science community look like a bunch of fascists.

Wow...frightening stuff. Especially after watching the NOVA "Judgment Day" special.

I can't believe these ID "scientists" crying about things like how they've been shunned and ostracized and have not been taken seriously - like a bunch of 8 year-old little girls.

But, hey, maybe Stein is on to something. Forget about facts and evidence. Get a really good PR movement going. Reality, science, and truth are not issues or relevant anymore. It's all about language and spin.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:18:00 UTC | #84206

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 13 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

They have a point of course, they are being ostracised, sidelined and ignored. In much the same way as the guy at the party insisting he is a poached egg, "No REALLY I am a poached egg, here ... stroke my shell!!", is likely to be avoided.

The problem, such as it is, is not with the other partygoers.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:34:00 UTC | #84209

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 15 by Diacanu

Expelled is a good word.

As in what my colon did to yesterday's sandwiches.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:39:00 UTC | #84211

robert s's Avatar Comment 14 by robert s

"If you were really a poached egg, you wouldn't have a shell, would you?"

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:39:00 UTC | #84210

room101's Avatar Comment 16 by room101

briancouglanworldcitizen:

Indeed, you are correct. As Pat Condell so eloquently states (paraphrasing):

"If you want us to believe you're a chicken, start showing us some eggs."

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:41:00 UTC | #84212

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 17 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

14. Comment #88233 by robert s on November 15, 2007 at 1:39 pm
"If you were really a poached egg, you wouldn't have a shell, would you?"

Exactly! It subtly underpins and supports the primary derangement. Well spotted!:-)

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:45:00 UTC | #84213

Nick Good's Avatar Comment 18 by Nick Good

They might have budget for production standards, but they're still talking shiite!

The Galileo reference was especially ironic, made me chortle that one did...So much so, I was beginning to wonder if it was a spoof.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:02:00 UTC | #84215

koldito's Avatar Comment 19 by koldito

Halfway through the video he says that "we live in a free society, not in nazi Germany". Do we get to call Godwin's Law on him?

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:14:00 UTC | #84217

mumbles's Avatar Comment 20 by mumbles

I would like to suggest to Professor Dawkins that in the future he insist a running clock be IN CAMERA with him at all times. His interviewer of course has that extended to themselves. I think I saw this in a Columbo... Anyways, unless they want to edit the footage to the extent that they have his disembodied head answering questions (which I'd like to doubt) they have no power.

Think of it as asking a magician to do his routine stark naked.

Better yet, he could slap a pocketwatch onto a bandanna, hat or stylish beret. Okay perhaps that's a step to far.

How about a running hourglass?

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:27:00 UTC | #84220

AdrianT's Avatar Comment 21 by AdrianT

Stein, go do a film about real expelled people like thousands of gays from the US military, including fluent arabic speakers. You'd find youself asking the questions to the FRC. What a total prick.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:36:00 UTC | #84221

Ian's Avatar Comment 22 by Ian

I like their grasp on time: First we had the time of Galileo, then Einstein and finally Darwin.

As everybody knows, Einstein published special relativity in 1859 and Darwin natural selection in 1905.

Simple really.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:51:00 UTC | #84222

Klaatu barada nikto's Avatar Comment 23 by Klaatu barada nikto

20. Comment #88243 by mumbles

They would probably furnish a countdown clock to Armageddon.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:53:00 UTC | #84223

geru's Avatar Comment 24 by geru

Oh man.. Does anyone else get the feeling watching this, that these people are from bizarro world or something? Scary..

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:00:00 UTC | #84224

geru's Avatar Comment 25 by geru

12. Comment #88229 by room101

Yeah, too bad that real scientists are busy doing research and stuff, so they don't have time to run around doing interviews for propaganda movies. :)

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:08:00 UTC | #84226

nogodsever's Avatar Comment 26 by nogodsever

It's hard to listen to him for long, he's such a goddamn mushmouth.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:00 UTC | #84237

geru's Avatar Comment 27 by geru

Whoa, somewhere around 44 minutes of the longer video, does Ben Stein compare his work "for free science" to the sacrifices of the amputee patients of the US army?

What a modest individual!

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:00 UTC | #84238

dancingthemantaray's Avatar Comment 28 by dancingthemantaray

" they think ID is nonsense in the scientific journals...they think it's nonsense in the courts...they think it's nonsense in the schools..."

Did it not occur to you that it IS nonsense you cretin...

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:20:00 UTC | #84242

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 29 by Diacanu

dancingthemantaray-

Did it not occur to you that it IS nonsense you cretin...

Not for an instant! We can't be "mud animated by lightning!", we just CAN'T!
Just because!
He feels it strongly in his deep, deep feelings!
Feely, feely feel!
Therefore, Jesus!

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:35:00 UTC | #84247

Duff's Avatar Comment 30 by Duff

I am Ben Stein. I'm stupid. Really. I'm not mud, but I'm close to mud. The evidence shows that I am not even close to Galileo, or Einstein because I can't get tenure, simply because I don't believe in Darwin. I'm smart, but I've been warned because I don't believe in facts or science I'm going to be disregarded.
It's my duty to get the word out. If you're stupid, you won't be granted tenure. And then who will fight this battle for the stupid, simple people?
I'm Ben Stein. Believe me, I know I'm Ben Stein, because I'm stupid.

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:53:00 UTC | #84250