← Sherri Shepherd needs to go away now

Sherri Shepherd needs to go away now - Comments

wundergeist's Avatar Comment 1 by wundergeist

Actually, I believe she fulfills a very important need:

She demonstrates to viewers that expecting people on television to be knowledgeable and authoritative is wrong. In this age of celebrity-driven credibility, this is an important point to make.

Thanks, Sherri, for being such a perfect example of arrogance combined with ignorance.

W

Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:31:00 UTC | #90193

Russell's Teapot's Avatar Comment 2 by Russell's Teapot

I feel confident that however this woman dies, she will be a Darwin Award candidate.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:02:00 UTC | #90197

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 3 by SilentMike

Wow!

Well cleary her purpose on this show is to make the other 3 hosts look really smart.

This is beyond ignorance. If you don't even know the most basic facts about the history of your own religion and culture you're stupid. This lady's an actress and I can't see how she manages to remember her lines. Oh wait:

I wonder just how many people are actually that dense.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:17:00 UTC | #90199

AllanW's Avatar Comment 4 by AllanW

SilentMike; I wonder just how many people are actually that dense.

You'd be surprised. Read 'Private Eye' sections 'Dumb Britain' or 'Colemanballs' for regular anecdotes. Just look at the international research on literacy. scientific understanding hell even the proportion of people who think that evolution is just plain wrong.

Frank Zappa said that the commonest element in the universe was not hydrogen but stupidity as it was even more plentiful; he could be right.

This woman is just the latest example of a really sheltered, unquestioning mind being exposed in public. Look out for Whoopi Goldbergs' attempts to keep the feelings of revulsion off her face at the stupidity on display.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:30:00 UTC | #90200

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 5 by SilentMike

5. Comment #94537 by AllanW

I knew that stupidity was common. I just didn't know that it could be that, well, stupid.

Seriously. I've met some pretty dim lights in my lifetime and I've heard that americans are ignorant. But not to know what your own religion teaches on the "there were always christians" level... That's above and beyond the call of stupid. If there are a lot of people who are stupid at that level we're in serious trouble.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:10:00 UTC | #90206

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 6 by Bonzai

Tell me it is just a marketing ploy. In show biz you need to stand out in some ways, being extraordinarily stupid is better than not having a personality. I just cannot believe morons like that exist.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:15:00 UTC | #90207

tman's Avatar Comment 7 by tman

I know we all like joking how stupid this is and believe me everyones jokes are great! Keep'm coming, but in all seriousness the rationalizations that say "she serves as a warning" are jokes too.

After we all catch our breaths from laughing.... This isn't really funny, but quite sad. It not sad that she is on national television or that she's so uneducated or even that her representation doesn't help christians or the black community. All these factors are diminished by the fact that she is spreading false information to the public.

It's not funny because of the viewers (thousands of them). This is irresponsible on the part of the network, because this is beyond dumb and goes uncorrected.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:23:00 UTC | #90211

AllanW's Avatar Comment 8 by AllanW

We could well be, mate. My favourite anecdote lately is the one from the Manchester Evening news, reprinted in 'Private Eye' (my wife uses it in her Key Skills classes in a F.E. college. Key Skills being a euphemism for basic literacy and numeracy.) wherein a bloke complains to the Lottery that his card should win a prize and is supported by the shop selling the scratch card (you had to reveal a number lower than minus eight and he revealed minus six and minus seven). He complained about being 'fobbed-off' with a stupid explanation that minus seven was not lower than minus eight.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:29:00 UTC | #90215

Theocrapcy's Avatar Comment 9 by Theocrapcy

AllanW, yes I read about that too (it even got to Aus). Didn;t the gaming company decide to actually change the game because it feared people were actaully going to keep complaining???

What a world of dumbasses we're breeding.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:40:00 UTC | #90220

AllanW's Avatar Comment 10 by AllanW

They did withdraw the cards; in the words of their press statement because 'they were too confusing'. Go figure :0

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:42:00 UTC | #90221

Theocrapcy's Avatar Comment 11 by Theocrapcy

Haha, it's so funny it's sad. We put people through a minimum of 13 years of school and some don't even grasp the most basic of concepts, continue to be swayed by ignorance through each other and the media, and then they become voters - something is going wrong here.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:53:00 UTC | #90226

Theocrapcy's Avatar Comment 12 by Theocrapcy

btw, shit that lady on the View is stupid. But I don't think any of the rest of them are exemplary minds. What I've seen of the show, seems it draws on (and perpetuates) discussions based on populism and modern mythology. Aka `ratings gold`.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:01:00 UTC | #90229

AllanW's Avatar Comment 13 by AllanW

Exactly my point 'ratings gold'. They have no interest in being educational, informative, challenging, thought-provoking. It's just a lowest common denominator mentality; popular is the goal. The best combat against this is to deny the oxygen of popularity. Same reason I could not vote for D'Souza in the bad faith awards; it will just sell more of his books.

I do quite like the suggestion on some of the science blogs that they pitch an idea to the producers of the View that they take this ignorant woman to a Natural Science museum and film it. Sadly it would be misconstrued I fear but it's nice to hope :)

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:11:00 UTC | #90233

Corylus's Avatar Comment 14 by Corylus

I find myself torn between feeling sorry for her (how awful to be deemed the thickest on daytime TV) angry for her (where were her teachers?) and absolutely astonished at her lack of shame.

If I have made that flat earth faux pas, I would no longer be on TV. I would have changed my identity, had plastic surgery and be hiding out somewhere in South America.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:16:00 UTC | #90238

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 15 by irate_atheist

15. Comment #94580 by Corylus -

Perhaps she doesn't want to travel too far. After all, she might fall off the edge.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:28:00 UTC | #90240

Incredulous's Avatar Comment 16 by Incredulous

We don't need no education. Especially when you can be paid a lotta money for spouting so much ignorant, arrogant, poorly understood, nonsense.

So depressing! What's worrying is the number of people who turn on and tune in to her, literally condoning this expression of educational and intellectual failure.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:56:00 UTC | #90245

stephenray's Avatar Comment 18 by stephenray

I have never heard even the most bizarro christians claiming that nothing predates christians. Their whole religion is predicated on the fact that Judaism predated christianity. You know, Abraham, Moses, Daniel, Job, Solomon, David - several hundred years at least before Christ popped up and said "Whoa! Well done guys but - uh - you got it all wrong. Let me explain..."

Not only does this woman - who I never heard of before - not know anything worth knowing, she doesn't even know anything about her own religion.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:30:00 UTC | #90260

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 17 by Oromasdes1978

Has anyone got Sherri's email? Or is she too thick to use the internet? (Philip, behave!)

I want to send her this

(Nicked from Quetz's magnificent site, I hope thats ok oh mighty one?)

67 MILLION YEARS OLD SHERRI, NO CHRISTIANS ABOUT THEN DARLING

Oh and by the way

THATS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!

(Or possibly this

I know I am a complete and utter Tea drinking lunatic whose outlook on life is far more weird than most of you can muster but this is just diabolical!

Oh dear look, I Ad hominemed! BAD ME! :)

Philip

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:30:00 UTC | #90259

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 19 by Quetzalcoatl

At the risk of being mean, ignorance like this is truly depressing.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:40:00 UTC | #90264

Will in Aus's Avatar Comment 20 by Will in Aus

stu·pid
1.lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2.characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3.tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4.annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5.in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6.Slang. excellent; terrific.

Source: www.dictionary.com

All except 5 & 6 apply.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:46:00 UTC | #90266

USA_Limey's Avatar Comment 21 by USA_Limey

Whoopi Goldberg is pretty smart; the problem is she intentionally dumbs herself down in this forum because she is too steeped in left wing group politics.

She simply can't bring herself to look her fellow black presenter in the face and say, "no that's wrong. You need to read a book".

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:49:00 UTC | #90267

notsobad's Avatar Comment 22 by notsobad

People are fucking dumb. I also thought everybody knew at least basic history when I was younger and only met my family and friends regularly.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 03:58:00 UTC | #90270

CJ22's Avatar Comment 23 by CJ22

She's just a Sherri trifle.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 04:10:00 UTC | #90275

Bueller_007's Avatar Comment 24 by Bueller_007

I'm torn. Who was the more idiotic The View host?

1) Flat-earth Sherri who--with the statement that "nothing predates Christians"--seems to be blissfully ignorant even of the existence of the Old Testament.

2) 9/11 conspiracy theorist Rosie O'Donnell.

Close call, but I'm going to have to go with Sherri on this one.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 04:21:00 UTC | #90278

MaxWeiss's Avatar Comment 25 by MaxWeiss

I wouldn't normally mind ignorance like this. After all, whether or not the world is flat or round or whether or not history happened one way or another really doesn't have an impact on how this woman lives her life or her ability to get around in a self-sufficient manner.

But the problem is that she votes and has influence on others and has a say in how everybody else's life is run. She can vote for things in the school curriculum and for who the next president will be. That poses serious problems.

I really wish there was some kind of critical thinking test and basic general knowledge test that medium and high level political candidates had to pass, because so many of them are very good at politics and socializing but lack in every other area. And while the two things are enough to get elected, they aren't enough to do the job--but that's just not the top priority if they can keep getting themselves elected. Obviously most of them are probably sincerely trying to do the best job they can, but so many of them really aren't fit for it.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 05:29:00 UTC | #90286

glittergulch's Avatar Comment 26 by glittergulch

She never thought about the greeks coming before the christians. But I'll tell you what she DID think about: How to FEED her CHILD!

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 06:46:00 UTC | #90308

AllanW's Avatar Comment 27 by AllanW

Re; #94650

Ah! So the argument here is that she is an economic slave. She has to take this work and appear ignorant as there is no other alternative to her children starving? Does she have children? Even if she does is that a good argument?

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 06:55:00 UTC | #90311

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 28 by SilentMike

25. Comment #94620 by Bueller_007

Cospiracy theorists aren't (necessarily) stupid. They're just plain crazy. Or, if you want, you could use less offensive terms and call them irrational/uninformed.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 07:04:00 UTC | #90312

glittergulch's Avatar Comment 29 by glittergulch

Allan W: I was just spoofing her rationale for not knowing if the earth was round or flat. She said she didn't ever think about it but she DID think about how she was going to feed her kid. Because, you know, you can't do both. It was sanctimonious self-congratulatory martyrdom.

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 07:16:00 UTC | #90315

AllanW's Avatar Comment 30 by AllanW

Re; #94657

Ok, thanks :) I understand now; her reply means that we should accept that her ignorance is entirely as a result of her situation of economic destitution.

Does this sort of comment normally pass unnoticed in the press over there? Or are most people who read it merely nodding that it confirms her status as 'dim as a post'?

Thu, 06 Dec 2007 07:22:00 UTC | #90318