← THE FOUR HORSEMEN - Available Now on DVD!

THE FOUR HORSEMEN - Available Now on DVD! - Comments

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 1 by Diacanu

Cool.
I prefer 4 musketeers, but ah well...

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:59:00 UTC | #94310

drenghdndvtm's Avatar Comment 2 by drenghdndvtm

This should be interesting. I've never seen these guys all in one shot before.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:12:00 UTC | #94313

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 3 by phasmagigas

i'll watch this later but the pics of the jolly 4 with drinks and smiles must be enough to make many a fundamentalist turn red with fury. i have to say Mr harris could suit a pair of horns on his head. Wow, thats a large brandy for Mr hitchens!! probably not the first and probably not the last.

unmoderated, sheesh!!

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:20:00 UTC | #94315

ChrisMcL's Avatar Comment 4 by ChrisMcL

OMG! I think I just popped my sprocket.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:22:00 UTC | #94316

USA_Limey's Avatar Comment 5 by USA_Limey

Hour three was the drinking competition but it wasn't filmed.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:26:00 UTC | #94317

nogodsever's Avatar Comment 6 by nogodsever

Brandy? Surely it's scotch.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:27:00 UTC | #94318

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 7 by phasmagigas

scotch, maybe, well have to ask those in the know!

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:35:00 UTC | #94319

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 8 by Matt H.

Oh this is wonderful! How I have longed for something like this... four of my favourite intellectuals in a room having a good old chat! I will relish this. Thankyou very much RDFRS.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:44:00 UTC | #94322

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 9 by Josh Timonen

It was scotch on the table.
Josh

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:46:00 UTC | #94323

Russell's Teapot's Avatar Comment 10 by Russell's Teapot

I was going to ask if Hitch ever combs his hair, but decided to do a Google images search first and I've decided that he can keep it uncombed :)

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:03:00 UTC | #94326

Atticus_of_Amber's Avatar Comment 11 by Atticus_of_Amber

Is the appropriate expression "geekgasm" or "nerdgasm". Either way, that's what I'm having. ;)

This should be incredible to watch. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to it until Monday night at the earliest. :(

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:08:00 UTC | #94328

Atticus_of_Amber's Avatar Comment 12 by Atticus_of_Amber

Josh says, "It was scotch on the table."

So Josh, were RD and DD having Martinis? More importantly, is Sam Harris such a my body-is-a-temple post-Buddhist that he was drinking *water*? ;)

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:30:00 UTC | #94333

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 13 by Josh Timonen

I think Sam and Hitch were having scotch, and Dan and RD were having Martinis.

Josh

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:32:00 UTC | #94334

sillysighbean's Avatar Comment 14 by sillysighbean

Josh, You did a great job with the video..it sounds terrific, clear and immediate. Also, your cutting technique keeps it moving at a comfortable pace that aids in holding interest.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:50:00 UTC | #94339

maton100's Avatar Comment 15 by maton100

Get your drink on.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:51:00 UTC | #94340

Socrates's Avatar Comment 16 by Socrates

Wow... so I wasn't the only one who thought up the idea of the Four Horsemen having a conference. I suppose it's an obvious idea to have atheism's biggest advocates in a room together having an unconstrained conversation.

Oh my goodness- I had to pinch myself after I opened the newsletter about the Four Horsemen discussion I had to pinch myself. This is when the Richard Dawkins Foundation moves from being pretty cool to being kick-ass.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:53:00 UTC | #94341

dhudson0001's Avatar Comment 17 by dhudson0001

The entire 2 hrs was captivating..felt like I was right there with them. Wonderful-thanks!

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:00:00 UTC | #94343

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 18 by Rational_G

Wow! What a treat!

How 'bout the Fab Four?

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:04:00 UTC | #94345

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 19 by robotaholic

the discussion is adult

"what argument has given you pause?" by Sam Harris-
-the answers by Hitch, Dawkins, and Dennett are awesome
i love Dawkin's biological way of seeing things
i love Harris's "em" when he's "em" on things...
-i want a martini

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:21:00 UTC | #94347

Veon's Avatar Comment 20 by Veon

I have been hoping someone would make something like this. Getting the four big ones in one go only makes it better.
No disruptive format, no annoying moderator, just a nice informed, and dear I say informal, conversation.

There should be more of this!

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:24:00 UTC | #94348

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 21 by Cartomancer

1. And I saw when the revered lamb of the RDFRS, Josh Timonen, opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four authors saying, Come and see.
2. And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a beard; and an artificial heart was given unto him: and he went forth explaining, and to explain. And his explanations were like unto pearls and many were the intricacies contained therein, and on his brow the spell of the faithful was broken and did they find peace.
3. And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second author say, Come and see.
4. And there went out another horse that was red: and literature was given to him that sat thereon to take complacency from the earth, and that they should debate with one another: and there was given unto him a great sword, and on that sword were inscribed the words entia non multiplicanda sunt praeter necessitatem, and its edge was sharper than wit and more deadly than poison. And did false saints and charlatans fall to this blade, and was there much scotch consumed and many cigarettes did burn with ardent flame.
5. And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third author say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse, and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
6. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four authors say, A measure of Christianity for a penny, and three measures of Islam for a penny; and see thou hurt not the Jain and the Amish. And the word Atheist did he promote not wholeheartedly, and much were the ruminations on the transcendent and the spiritual that did issue forth unto mixed reception.
7. And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth author say, Come and see.
8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Dawkins, and Reason followed with him. And the selfishness of the gene was rendered plain for all to see, and the phenotype extended, and the watchmakers struck blind and the improbable mountain climbed. Yea, and was the river followed out of eden and was the tale of the ancestor heard and was the Devil's chaplain given dominion over the earth, and the God Delusion exposed. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to enlighten with science, and with philosophy, and with literature, and with the wonders of the earth.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:34:00 UTC | #94350

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 22 by helen sotiriadis

this is a wonderful weekend surprise. i'm listening to it now -- and i wish i was there too.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:46:00 UTC | #94353

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 23 by Cartomancer

Tune in next week folks for "The Four Horsemen Go Camping", then later "The Four Horsemen and the Case of the Disappearing Panda", "The Four Horsemen Meet the Queen", and "The Four Horsemen Go Mad in Mecca". This could run and run. Am I the only one who now believes that they all live in a big house together and argue over whose turn it is to do the washing up?

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:53:00 UTC | #94354

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 24 by Don_Quix

USA_Limey wrote:

Hour three was the drinking competition but it wasn't filmed.

Note to the producers - I would gladly pay a premium to watch this on DVD.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:10:00 UTC | #94358

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 25 by Diacanu

That was awsome.

Usually, I download stuff here, listen/watch once, delete.
I'll keep this to listen to a few times, lotta stuff in there.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:18:00 UTC | #94359

devolve's Avatar Comment 26 by devolve

Today, we pour over the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson (and many others), and I'm fairly sure that, at the time, neither party expected that their musings would be studied and scrutinized for centuries to come.

Will historians, polemicists, and interested Regular Joes many decades or centuries in the future replay these videos for a peek into one small facet of life in the early 21st century? I certainly hope so.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:24:00 UTC | #94361

Tim Friede's Avatar Comment 27 by Tim Friede

I needed that, thanks J.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:25:00 UTC | #94362

Don_Quix's Avatar Comment 28 by Don_Quix

Does Dawkins have a martini in front of him? He always struck me as a gin & tonic sort of guy. Harris looks like he's drinking scotch or whisky.

EDIT: I'm not trying to belittle the video. This is actually one of the most interesting and compelling videos I have seen of any of the "four horsemen" by themselves :) This is a great venue for the four of them to express and discuss their ideas. I like the roundtable discussion format a lot. It's like an atheist version of the American TV show "The View". Except this is several billion orders of magnitude more intelligent and substantial. heheh.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:27:00 UTC | #94363

Quine's Avatar Comment 29 by Quine

This was wonderful. I suggest Richard read Tavris and Aronson's book on cognitive dissonance to get some added ways to describe what he has noticed about the capability of people to hold these contradictory positions.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:35:00 UTC | #94364

devolve's Avatar Comment 30 by devolve

It's too bad that they didn't film the part where they rolled up a huge Cheech & Chong-sized joint, fired that sucker up, and then watched "Koyaanisqatsi" as nubile 20-something swimsuit models performed scantily-clad interpretive dance to the Philip Glass score.

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:39:00 UTC | #94366