← Chasers war on everything: Evangelicals

Chasers war on everything: Evangelicals - Comments

Mister_X's Avatar Comment 1 by Mister_X

That was great. In five minutes, I was confused at first with Copeland, angry with Murdoch, then laughing at the end. Brilliant!

Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:15:00 UTC | #97613

Shane Williams's Avatar Comment 2 by Shane Williams

Good stuff, I always laugh when I see those massive "healing sessions" on TV.

How exactly does all that money collection fuel miracles in our world? Assuming that actions without cause/explanation (miracles) are even possible?
By cause/explanation I mean the natural processes behind an occurance other than the exaggerated, supernatural, human view of its purpose.

Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:01:00 UTC | #97654

notsobad's Avatar Comment 3 by notsobad

These people (professional Christians) profit because there is demand, to which I can say only:
"A fool and their money are soon parted."

The tax-free part pisses me off indeed though.

Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:32:00 UTC | #97662

Veronique's Avatar Comment 4 by Veronique

I love Chaser so much!! They take the mickey every time, I am so glad that this motley crew are funded by our national broadcaster. The one thing Australia got right!!

Thank gravy for their irreverence. We may survive with these blokes in the chair.

Check out abc.net.au/tv/chaser/war and click on anything you like.

Have a terrific squidmas with Chaser.
V

Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:45:00 UTC | #97708

Veronique's Avatar Comment 5 by Veronique

They did a marvellous sketch on the Trojan Horse. That's worth a look. Hilarious. These guys are worth their weight in gold. Get them on a podcast.

I am telling you - you won't regret it. You will also learn about Australia and none of you know jack shit about us. Good value.

My best
V

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:06:00 UTC | #97711

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 6 by Diacanu

Veronique-

Australia and none of you know jack shit about us.

Of course I do.

I've seen all 3 Crocodile Dundees, Muriel's Wedding, and all 3 Mad Max's.

You all lip sync to Abba, then ride inside a kangaroo pouch throwing boomerangs while guys with giant mohawks try to steal your gasoline.

Oh, and your diet consists of vegemite sandwiches, and dunkaroos.

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:09:00 UTC | #97712

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 7 by Diacanu

Oh, and your president and vice president (for life) are Jocko Train and Yahoo Serious.

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:21:00 UTC | #97713

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 8 by Diacanu

Aren't I adorable?
:P

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:23:00 UTC | #97714

the way's Avatar Comment 9 by the way

Diacanu....hello! How do you get articles to the site? there are a couple in the UK Times re Dawkins. Here is one http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article3086949.ece and here is the other!

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:35:00 UTC | #97716

epeeist's Avatar Comment 10 by epeeist

Comment #102464 by Diacanu

You missed out the crap lager.

Oh, and the sheep.

And the fact that they are all descendants of convicts ;-)

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:05:00 UTC | #97731

Flagellant's Avatar Comment 11 by Flagellant

Wasn't it the Chasers that almost got into a serious (Melbourne?) summit meeting in Oz a while ago? Unfortunately, they didn't get close enough to have a chat with George Bush.

It's one of the many, perpetual delights of Australia that, when you've finished with the incessant sunshine for the day, there's something like The Chasers to watch.

And Diacanu, if you haven't watched The Castle, you haven't seen one of the best Aussie films.

I can't keep the smile from my face because, in a few weeks, I'm off to Oz for a couple of months.

Religion - an activity for consenting adults in private, especially in Australia.

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:07:00 UTC | #97732

Shigawire's Avatar Comment 12 by Shigawire

Maaan that was just too many levels of "awful."
More proof that religious leaders are con-artists.
Only difference is, regular con-artists get caught, these guys get away with it, because they're "Christian" con-artists or whatever.

Oh My Goodness...
:D

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:45:00 UTC | #97742

Veronique's Avatar Comment 13 by Veronique

8. Comment #102465 by Diacanu

Indeed you are!!!

Flagellant - good on you. And yes, Chaser got to within 100 yards of Bush's hotel before they were sprung at the APEC summit. Security was so severely embarrassed, hahaha, that four of the Chaser crew were charged. Haven't heard anything since though.

Epeeist - what about the rabbits? You forgot them. Millions and millions of them all from England. (well, sort of, a little time ago:-))

V

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:16:00 UTC | #97917

Veronique's Avatar Comment 14 by Veronique

9. Comment #102467 by Verylee

articles@richarddawkins.net

All the contact addresses are in the contact tab on the front page.

V

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:25:00 UTC | #97921

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 15 by Steve Zara

I was once a biologist. I know a lot about Australian flora and fauna. Everything is deadly, and I mean everything. Step outside your front door and you are pretty much doomed. The seas are filled with jellyfish that, if they don't kill you straight off, will make you wish you were dead because of the pain. If they don't get you the toxic octopuses and the sharks will. On land, there are the marsupials. Those that don't kill you by running full-speed in front of your car (roos, wombats) are some of the most fanged and agressive creatures on the planet. Then there are the snakes. And the spiders. Heck, the spiders are even out to get you in your house. Even the plants are seriously nasty, with a thousand species being toxic to livestock and humans.

I am amazed anyone manages to survive there.

(OK, I exaggerate. A little)

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:27:00 UTC | #97922

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 16 by Diacanu

Jocko Train kicks all their asses.

Jocko is Australia's Superman on top of being President.

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:29:00 UTC | #97924

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 17 by Diacanu

Ah, "Jocko Train", was his Energizer ad moniker.
Here we go.

Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:38:00 UTC | #97928

Flagellant's Avatar Comment 18 by Flagellant

I think Steve Zara has got Oz spot on. Perhaps I lead a charmed life because I've hit a wombat at night and done no damage to the animal, myself, or the car and I once brushed a spider off my neck only to find that it was a redback. So I never go out once I'm there – it's too dangerous. I get my sunshine from a sunbed ;-) As for the sea, lakes, and rivers, I never go for a swim, either. (Fishes fuck in them.)

Stories about the dangerous nature of Oz are put about by those who want to keep the place nice and select. I'm sure Veronique could tell us the actual fatalities from various fauna but the number's actually very low. IIRC, despite Australia's being home to several of the World's deadliest snakes, there've been no fatalities from them for quite a few years.

OK Veronique, about all this 'jackshit' business: have you read the Aussie Constitution? Have you seen the original Magna Carta in Canberra? I've done both and I have a copy of one - I can't remember which. Can you name just two mistakes – and there are quite a few – in Bill Bryson's otherwise excellent book Down Under?

Back on topic: it's interesting to see so many programmes now having a go at religion. Since Marcus Brigstocke's rant, Can the rest of us have our planet back: Click here, there have been many other digs/tilts in UK comedy programmes and there's a lovely cartoon in The Grauniad, today: Click here.

The zeitgeist is changing. Religion is never going to have it easy again. Faith is no longer universally accepted as beyond criticism. The gentle mockery of Dave Allen is being replaced with a more robust indignation. Hooray!

Religion – an activity for consenting adults in private.
[Links edited for style.]

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:04:00 UTC | #98118

the way's Avatar Comment 19 by the way

Veronique, thank you! I never opened the contact tab!! I thought mebbe it was something to do with Carl Sagan or a portal to another dimension haha! Thanx again.

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:45:00 UTC | #98121

Veronique's Avatar Comment 20 by Veronique

16. Comment #102701 by Steve Zara

Shit! You are right. I stepped outside my front door once and was accosted by spiders taking possession of the front porch. My God!! Then there was a blue tongued lizard wending his way across the pavers. I had put some toy plastic snakes around the fishes' habitat to deter Lord Heron and even those snakes frighten me.

My bedroom was full of scientific experiments that enjoined white-tailed house spiders making their home among the sheets.

I am terrified of swimming in Queensland and cast a wary eye over all large masses of sea-water. You are correct. It is deadly out there. And the wombats; you wouldn't believe the length, the strength and ripping capacity of their claws. Kangaroos by the millions and they damage your car. I am waiting for the insurance companies to render them into the Act of God clause.

I am the only person left in Australia and that's because I stay indoors!!

I am so glad you understand the travails of living in this benighted country. Whew. Someone who knows. I feel better.

And yes, I am exaggerating just a wee bit:-).

Best to you Steve
V

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:16:00 UTC | #98150

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 21 by Steve Zara

Well, I thought I had better research all this. My partner is going on holiday there in february. He needs to know what to deal with!

I hear the the food and the people make up for the dangers...

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:22:00 UTC | #98152

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 22 by Oromasdes1978

Steve + V

My only advice for folk travelling to Oz is to NEVER go in the Woolshed Pub in Cairns when you have something important to do the next day like catch a plane or in my case go scuba diving :)

I know many people who knew they had to do something the next day but thought "a couple of beers" would go down well

I went there, got very drunk, got to bed at 4 to wake up at half 6 to catch the minibus. I remember filling out the forms and one of the questions was "have you had any alcohol in the last 24 hours? well no, last 2 hours hehehe! (I tell you what that scuba tank cured my hangover, brilliant stuff!)

I loved OZ, tis a beautiful country with some mad people there!

I love this video too, very funny!

Philip

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:31:00 UTC | #98154

Vaal's Avatar Comment 23 by Vaal

Steve

Your partner will love Australia. Don't know anyone who has been there and not liked it. Yep, scariest moment of my life was being circled by a 12 foot Tiger shark when diving in the coral sea, but man, what a thrill when I got to the surface. Watch those red back spiders too!

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:34:00 UTC | #98155

Veronique's Avatar Comment 24 by Veronique

19. Comment #102921 by Flagellant

Now listen here, Flag. Don't get so carried away. I am pleased the redback didn't get you, but watch out for the Sydney Funnel Web. Are you going to Sydney – that waste land of an international city? These spiders are virulent. They kill unwary humans (and everything else they deem as potential food). Mind you they must sigh when they pull down a human – more food that the whole of the Funnel Web population could consume in a generation. Not good at logical thought the old Funnel Webs. Very reactive!!

Check out Article 116 of our Constitution – that states there IS separation of church and state, although that didn't stop Howard and Costello introducing religiously based legislation in their 11 years in office.

I can't recall the couple of errors in Bryson. I just laughed all the way through it. It was a terrific book about Australia. I loved 'the swim that needed no towel'. I think he got Holt's place of demise wrong. I am not sure now. And, in any case he was having the old Bryson dig. He does it well!!

I couldn't agree more!! I loved Brigstocke's rant. Music to my heart!!

Australia is actually a very dangerous place in terms of deadly fauna. But few die really. Ticks are a big problem for humans and other mammals. The abreaction to tick bites can be very dangerous (respiratory failure is the most common). The cane toads have wiped out a large proportion of the red and yellow bellied black snakes which means we have a larger number of browns and king browns and they are deadly.

Contact me when you come out here. Would love to meet you, if possible.
V

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:40:00 UTC | #98156

Veronique's Avatar Comment 25 by Veronique

22. Comment #102955 by Steve Zara

'My partner' sounds so dislocated!! What's his name? Where is he coming to? Ask him to get in touch! I would be delighted to meet him if possible.

Food? Melbourne; an urbane and cultured city, if a little cliquey. A great place!! The people are much the same as what you know of me over the past year on this site. I like to think of myself as a pretty normal Aussie, just not religious. And there aren't that many religious types in this old penal colony (well, why would there be?). Hi to Henri!! Still there Henri?

We are a generous lot and take the mickey as soon as buy you a beer.

We are really lovely, promise.
V

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:52:00 UTC | #98159

Veronique's Avatar Comment 26 by Veronique

23. Comment #102957 by Philip1978

Did you scuba in Cairns?? What a great place. Did you know that Aussies consume just slightly less beer than the Germans? We're rough and tough, baby!!

I am glad you have been here. It is a great place. But I am coming to your neck of the woods next year. That will be interesting!!
V

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:56:00 UTC | #98160

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Zara

'My partner' sounds so dislocated!!

I know, but "Civil Partner" sounds so odd, rather like some co-worker in a legal firm, and "Husband"... well, that isn't technically true, although it is legally equivalent.

That is very sweet of you.

Jon, and (I think) Sidney. It is fulfilling a long-held ambition to visit Australian to mark a certain significant birthday.

I would have gone too, but I have a problem getting into metal tubes that are suspended thousands of feet in the air. I just don't have enough faith.

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:28:00 UTC | #98163

Veronique's Avatar Comment 28 by Veronique

28. Comment #102966 by Steve Zara

Oh Steve, you lovely bloke:-). Tell Jon to contact me. I am about 800 miles north of Sydney. You can always PM me. I have to go to Sydney anyway to meet a bloke at NSW Uni who is committed to introducing Critical Thinking into the NSW public school curriculum. I can tie that visit in with your Jon's visit to Sydney.

That would be marvellous. In any case I would love to meet you when I travel north of the old equator to England next June. I will seek you out regardless!! Be warned!
V

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:42:00 UTC | #98166

Veronique's Avatar Comment 29 by Veronique

Steve – think about how these metal tubes actually maintain their height and velocity. I would have more trouble crossing a busy metal-dominated moving set of vehicles on a grounded set of macadam roads. And I know that the actual statistics would back me up. So there!! My fearful friend.

I think the problem with this fear of getting into a flying machine has to do with the potential prospect of ALL passengers plunging to their deaths should something go wrong. It happens in one fell swoop, as it were. The road deaths happen over a different set of parameters.

Be that as it may, my dear, I will seek you out on the ground of England in June 2008. And I will have flown to you. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!! Are you prepared to meet me?? Won't it be wonderful?
V

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:59:00 UTC | #98169

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 30 by irate_atheist

28. Comment #102966 by Steve Zara -

Now, if you'd done a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, you'd know how it all works and not rely on 'faith'. Has anyone got a spare wind-tunnel so I can do a practical demo or two for Steve?

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 05:03:00 UTC | #98171