← The New Atheist Movement

The New Atheist Movement - Comments

Chrono_Tata's Avatar Comment 1 by Chrono_Tata

- And what is "Faith 2.0"?

It's like Faith 1.0, but more unreasonable.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:19:00 UTC | #116997

Gymnopedie's Avatar Comment 2 by Gymnopedie

I love how the guy at the beginning makes atheists seem like well educated scholars and grad students. Good job!

I'd guess that Sam Harris also doesn't think radical Islam and Western Christianity are the same thing. Maybe he should try reading Harris's books. What a straw man...

Geisler's book title is spelled wrong! Probably just a typo on the screen, but still, classic.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:22:00 UTC | #117001

Adam Morrison's Avatar Comment 3 by Adam Morrison

ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

While I agree that too many atheists don't read the other side, this is such a stupid video.

'The Dominant Secular Religion'
ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!
It's not a religion you stupid poofists.

BTW, I love how their solution is more indoctrination. Wipe the doubt out early, we can't have them thinking for themselves.

I almost wish I drank, because stupidity of this level makes me want a bottle of scotch.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:25:00 UTC | #117003

Lana's Avatar Comment 4 by Lana

Wow. That was amazing. But just what are those "rational, scientific" reasons to believe what they believe? Somehow, he never says.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:28:00 UTC | #117005

Quine's Avatar Comment 5 by Quine

Given that 75% are finding out that they were taught BS as children, heaping more BS on is not going to solve the problem.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:38:00 UTC | #117009

Partisan's Avatar Comment 6 by Partisan

So, he's suggesting there are all these brilliant explanations for a (I'm assuming Christian, given the nature of the video) God which theologians have yet to present for...what reason exactly? I liked the tone of this video, but it's all very well saying such arguments exist without actually presenting them.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:39:00 UTC | #117010

The Reverend Dark's Avatar Comment 7 by The Reverend Dark

I just pinched off an 'atheist movement' that was far less offensive and far more honest than this bit of video dross.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:41:00 UTC | #117011

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 8 by Eventhorizon

I love seeing christians trying to terrify the wits out of other christians.
Oh well, its what they do best

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:45:00 UTC | #117012

Aerospacetax's Avatar Comment 9 by Aerospacetax

An interesting video. These people tout themsleves as being reasonable and rational and scientific, but there is not one single statement in the entire video that is supported by any hard evidence. The sad thing I fear is that many people lack the critical thinking skills to see that. It's too bad that you can comment on this video on you tube because that is where so many people will see it and simple nod their heads in agreement. If we could comment there at least we could show people how irresponsible and disrespectful to the human condition these people are being. Unfortunalely this video is just one of many shameful examples of how far theists will go to hang on to their delusions. Someone needs to down load this and edit a rebuttal right into the original video. That sounds like somthing I should do. What a great idea! I'm of to go intellectually slay the christians.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:48:00 UTC | #117015

Fenriswolf's Avatar Comment 10 by Fenriswolf

"Falling victim"? He makes it sound as if they are being indoctrinated at a young age. Religions seem to have the monopoly on that.

What a load of bollocks.

C

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:56:00 UTC | #117017

technogogo's Avatar Comment 11 by technogogo

Very good job I'd just put my drink down. Otherwise it would have been spilled and sprayed all over my laptop. Soooo funny!

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:58:00 UTC | #117018

the way's Avatar Comment 12 by the way

A cry for help and argued in sanity.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:08:00 UTC | #117020

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 13 by Sally Luxmoore

This is actually a good thing.
It proves they're under threat and are scared.
All they're really doing is providing free publicity for all the books that they disapprove of !
The more they squeal, the better.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #117023

Storeo's Avatar Comment 14 by Storeo

Thats one of the most hilarious things ive seen in a while.

So many straw-men its unbelievable.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #117024

Storeo's Avatar Comment 16 by Storeo

I love the dark and threatening music, its great.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:12:00 UTC | #117026

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 15 by Diacanu

"The Christian faith is an anvil that's been wearing down hammers", eh?

Well, let people comment on Youtube.
Shrug off the hammers, Superman.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:12:00 UTC | #117025

weavehole's Avatar Comment 17 by weavehole

I remember reading Ravi Zacharias' Deliver Us From Evil in about 1996 whilst going through a period of 'searching'. Had not heard his name mentioned before or after until this video and it stirred a synapse or two.

The best argument he had for Christianity being The Way, featured an American in some foreign gaol finding pages torn from a bible... In a toilet.

This shit strewn papyrus is apparently enough to show that the creator of the universe does indeed move in the most mysterious of ways.

Many a wise word in a grey head, my arse!

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:14:00 UTC | #117029

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 18 by Diacanu

Got a giggle over how they played the spooky music when they panned across the 4 musketeer books.

Reminded me of the old anti Dungeons N' Dragons campaigns of the 1980's.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:21:00 UTC | #117035

dazzjazz's Avatar Comment 20 by dazzjazz

I love the propaganda nature of this!
Likewise the happy image of the nuclear family walking hand in hand - yeesh these people are so apple-pie hokey that I wanna puke!

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:26:00 UTC | #117042

crich83's Avatar Comment 19 by crich83

I think this guy is making up a story. He doesn't name the professor, and doesn't name the book or author the "professor" asked him about.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:26:00 UTC | #117041

Kevin_Scales's Avatar Comment 22 by Kevin_Scales

College students don't lose their faith because of attacks by their professors, they lose it because they are able to see that there are other ways to look at the world. Most students just find alternatives to the self contradictory ridiculousness of Christianity.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:28:00 UTC | #117046

home8896's Avatar Comment 21 by home8896

Wow, I expected Chris Hansen to show up any minute with the tone of voice and the spooky music.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:28:00 UTC | #117044

Deepthought's Avatar Comment 23 by Deepthought

I like how they come right out and say "use child indoctrination or else christianity is going to fall". Well, they cloak it in fluffy language but that is the message.

The lumping of relgions isn't that hard to do. The same type of faith that is found in evangelical christianity is also found in Islam.

"Atheism is the fastest growing secular religion"
ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION!!! (Sorry about the capitals, I'm rather annoyed with these people)

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:34:00 UTC | #117051

mkcarbs's Avatar Comment 24 by mkcarbs

It seems to me that there is really only one book from the other side that one TRULY needs to read in order to figure out religion is bunk.

But with that comes a problem...you see, most rational people that take up the challenge of reading the bible immediately pick out the things which are so very very wrong.

So forgive me in the fact that I find it a waste of time to read material in which the only evidence is mythology and folklore.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:51:00 UTC | #117058

knutsondc's Avatar Comment 25 by knutsondc

It is too bad that the alleged "good reasons" to believe in Christianity aren't mentioned in the video, but I can't fault its producers for that. After all, this was a video directed towards believers, not apologetics intended for a skeptical audience. Although the tone of the piece was okay, I'm really getting tired of the false, misleading charge that Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Dennett, et al., are angry without cause and intolerant of people rather than their ideas.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:54:00 UTC | #117060

bluebird's Avatar Comment 26 by bluebird

I've seen this video (or something very similar) recently. Ugh, time to swig another dose of Pepto Bismol.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:55:00 UTC | #117062

pulsar1z's Avatar Comment 27 by pulsar1z

Not one Christian or Muslim, Jew or any other, can scientifically prove the existence of God. There just isn't a shred of evidence.

There proof is a 2000 year old philosophy, Visions, Unexplained Miracles, Voices from space and distortions of science.

I don't think this sounds harsh its only the truth as I see It.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:06:00 UTC | #117066

Mental Slavery's Avatar Comment 28 by Mental Slavery

Points made in the video about Athesits:

1) This crazy "movement" is being published and supported!
2)People aren't ashamed anymore about admitting openly that they believe this.
3) People of higher authority (adults) are taking advantage of young impressionable minds.
4)They will ATTACK people who believe in something different with "VIOLENCE" that is unprecedented.
5)How can they be so intollerant?
6)We actually have "Good, solid, SCIENTIFIC" reasons for believing what we believe.

Hmmmmmmmm.....don't these claims above all sound shockingly familiar? I can't seem to figure out if this is an argument for or against Atheism? How hypocritical are all of those assertions?!

I love how they can just take our arguments and then pretend like they just thought of them.

Nice try.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:07:00 UTC | #117069

Nick6742's Avatar Comment 29 by Nick6742

I was hoping this would be about operation CoSplay.

A major battle against religion and irrationality taking place on the internet that should get some coverage here.

The actual video was utter tripe

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:14:00 UTC | #117076

ClemIsMe's Avatar Comment 30 by ClemIsMe

Sorry, I can't get past the "Hi, I'm Troy McClure" announcer. It all sounds like a bit.

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:17:00 UTC | #117079