← 10 cc of atheism

10 cc of atheism - Comments

APPlet's Avatar Comment 1 by APPlet

Gotta like House. I would find it hard to see him in an overtly comic role however.

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:47:00 UTC | #118382

wundergeist's Avatar Comment 2 by wundergeist

APPlet:

Hugh Laurie was Wooster in Jeeves and Wooster, an overtly comic role. (Stephen Fry played Jeeves.)

WG

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:59:00 UTC | #118384

rnewson's Avatar Comment 3 by rnewson

I can't watch Hugh Laurie doing that terrible american accent, really painful.

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 18:19:00 UTC | #118386

idragosani's Avatar Comment 4 by idragosani

In addition to Jeeves and Wooster, Hugh Laurie did overtly comic roles in several of the Black Adder series.

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:17:00 UTC | #118396

OsakaGuy's Avatar Comment 5 by OsakaGuy

So what happens?

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:21:00 UTC | #118397

Zaphod's Avatar Comment 6 by Zaphod

"I can't watch Hugh Laurie doing that terrible american accent, really painful."

America has many accents. You are an expert in them all? If you listen to what he really sounds like you won't think his accent is that terrible.

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:47:00 UTC | #118400

Russell's Teapot's Avatar Comment 7 by Russell's Teapot

Was that Sarah Silverman's sister?

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:59:00 UTC | #118401

nogodsever's Avatar Comment 8 by nogodsever

Laurie's American accent is just fine. Most people not familiar with his background are very surprised when they see him speak with his English accent.
Great show.

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:12:00 UTC | #118417

sarah95's Avatar Comment 9 by sarah95

I just posted this on my Youtube account:

I'll be trying to do the same with most this website's shorter videos. If you have problems with quicktime, you are certainly welcome to subscribe to my youtube account!

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:28:00 UTC | #118422

Gustaf Sjoblom's Avatar Comment 10 by Gustaf Sjoblom

[So what happens?]

One can only hope that the hospital assigns another doctor who makes the other diagnostic and is wrong and the patient dies. And afterwards says that he only made the assesment because he felt compelled to respect their religious views, and says that he realizes now that was a big mistake.

Please, please, let it be like that.

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:44:00 UTC | #118458

Brad's Avatar Comment 11 by Brad

Gotta love Hugh Laurie, he's done FAR more comedic roles than most people realize. I especially love the skit series he did with Stephen Fry, "A Bit of Fry and Laurie", which gave us such gems as the Spoon Bending Pychic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUxWdIQVT_c).

Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:03:00 UTC | #118473

bard63's Avatar Comment 12 by bard63

"Why did they choose Judaism as the vehicle for this episode? "
Radesq
My guess is this - they probably had a choice of the three major 'heavy' religions. They are in America, so Chrisitanity would have seen them struggle with every Televangelist, do-gooder and most politicians in the good ole US of A. Islam - nobody wants a Fatwa issued on them - especially before breakfast. Judaism - not likely to over-react terribly, and even though they have a powerful lobby in America, they probably not likely to pick a fight over such a minor issue.

My theory, anyway.

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:37:00 UTC | #118503

rnewson's Avatar Comment 13 by rnewson

heh. I'm british, and quite the Hugh Laurie fan, I know very well what he normally sounds like. I've lived in the US for three years, so I know what americans sound like too. I just can't stand the accent he uses for his character.

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 05:06:00 UTC | #118530

Nick6742's Avatar Comment 14 by Nick6742

I love house even if the medicine is a bit (or a lot)iffy.

I think his accent is fine. I don't know any american's who notice it at all.

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:22:00 UTC | #118597

NekoFever's Avatar Comment 15 by NekoFever

I love House. There's an episode in season one with a couple of similar moments as the main patient is a nun.

Nun: "Sister Mary tends to believe in things that aren't real."
House: "Really? I thought that was a job description for you people."

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:46:00 UTC | #118628

Logicel's Avatar Comment 16 by Logicel

Ah, how nice to hear Laurie doing an American accent--he speaks better American English than his co-actors!!! (I watch in France, so I hear House speak French, which is a hoot also).

Great dialogue (and sarah95 thanks for your link and I have subscribed).

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:29:00 UTC | #118650

Fenriswolf's Avatar Comment 17 by Fenriswolf

I love Hugh Laurie, and I love House. I think some of his best performances though have been in his overtly comic roles in Blackadder, which of course stars the equally brilliant Rowan Atkinson. A favourite of mine:

A little bit of the scene has been cut, but it makes no real difference.

C

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:29:00 UTC | #118689

jiujitstheist's Avatar Comment 18 by jiujitstheist

Speaking as an American who has lived in America for 47 years I think that Mr. Laurie has a very nice grasp of a typical snobby midwestern American accent. I've seen him in a number of other television shows and marvel at how well he can do an American accent. I also love HOUSE.

cls

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:57:00 UTC | #118826

Goldy's Avatar Comment 19 by Goldy

It is very odd hearing Hugh speak with an American accent. Still, Rene Zellweger spoke with a British accent, so what the hey :-)
Jeeves adn Wooster - my absolute favourite. Maybe it was the Aston Martin they used as the car, but really that was the best for me :-)

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:08:00 UTC | #118829

wundergeist's Avatar Comment 20 by wundergeist

Can't believe I forgot to mention "King George" and "Lt George."

As to choice of religion, note that it is not just judaism, it is hasidic judaism, which many jews consider outdated and criticize themselves. Christianity had been criticized twice before (the nuns, representing the traditional christianity, and the faith healer, representing the modern-pop version). Which brings us to the T-rex in the room:

Nobody in mainstream media is going to criticize Islam. *

Now riddle me this: if we play a game where we start with four types of agent with beliefs {c,j,i,a}; at each step there is a nonzero probability that a belief is switched from {c,j,a} to one of the others (by coercion, by persuasion, by "getting along by going along") and a zero probability that an agent with belief i changes, what is the long term equilibrium?

W

* Maybe "nobody" is not accurate. It's not like a member of parliament in an European country would have to leave that country and get criticized for speaking up by her peers, her neighbors, and religious lead... oh wait... IT IS EXACTLY THAT!

Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:28:00 UTC | #118884

TruthByEvidence's Avatar Comment 21 by TruthByEvidence

It is most refreshing to see a widely popular television show express stern (yet light hearted) criticism upon religion.

I wonder if this stirred up any controversy? I did not see the full episode, so I could not truly know.

Hmm.

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:26:00 UTC | #119476

cyberkatru's Avatar Comment 22 by cyberkatru

The comments on the accent blew me away.
I was born and raised in the USA and have lived in Utah, Virginia, Indiana, Texas and California.
Hugh's accent on the show is, well, perfect. So perfect that because of it, I didn't realize that he was the same guy who was on the Black Adder show. Its hard for me to even think of it as an accent at all, let alone a faked one.

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:11:00 UTC | #119482

JFHalsey's Avatar Comment 23 by JFHalsey

So what did happen in that episode? Did anybody see it? I stopped watching House before the end of last season... now I'm wishing I hadn't.

Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:58:00 UTC | #120082

OsakaGuy's Avatar Comment 24 by OsakaGuy

OK, I decided to make the effort and google around. Here's the recap of the episode:

Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:00:00 UTC | #121965

Oolon Colluphid's Avatar Comment 25 by Oolon Colluphid

Coming a bit late to this, but what the hey...

Ref Laurie's accent, I gather that he got the part when the producer, unaware of his background, heard his rushed audition tape and said something like "now that's how an American should sound!"

With the range of accents across the continent, I guess one person's 'spot on' is another's weird caricature... I mean, when someone thinks of an 'English accent', I'll bet they're not thinking Yorkshire Dales, Devon or Birkenhead, let alone Geordie. I expect the US is just as disparate, especially to American ears.

Meanwhile, a fave House quote:

"Isn't it interesting... religious behavior is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart."

Mon, 10 Mar 2008 03:32:00 UTC | #133887

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 26 by hungarianelephant

Oolon - Welcome.

When is the follow-up to your blockbusting trilogy coming out?

Mon, 10 Mar 2008 03:46:00 UTC | #133890

Synchronium's Avatar Comment 27 by Synchronium

Nephroptosis!

Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:59:00 UTC | #154812

mymelody95's Avatar Comment 28 by mymelody95

Hi! I'm an American, and having never known of this actor before the House series, I was surprised to discover he wasn't a native. He has the typical L.A. speech I've been hearing all of my life.

Tue, 06 May 2008 21:43:00 UTC | #167219

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 29 by Oromasdes1978

mymelody95

Even Brian Singer never knew that Laurie was English saying something along the lines of the kind of compelling American actor he was looking for!

Its funny for me to see him do it because I have grown up hearing his English accent all the time especially in Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster and a Bit of Fry and Laurie, its hilarious!

Its a bit like hearing James Marsters or Alexis Desinoff from the Buffy and Angel series, Alexis sounds like he has a fake American accent to me!

Good series House, will get and watch it properly one day!

Philip