← Beware the Believers

Beware the Believers - Comments

Aaron's Avatar Comment 1 by Aaron

Werd

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:22:00 UTC | #143867

Big T's Avatar Comment 2 by Big T

I got a good laugh out of it.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:16:00 UTC | #143886

riki's Avatar Comment 3 by riki

So who was the Creator? Obviously not a Creationist. Well done!!

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:20:00 UTC | #143888

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

If anyone can understand a single word of this, don't bother to translate, just tell me whose side it's on. I get the feeling (same with South Park) that there are people out there who assume that something that is obviously MEANT to be funny therefore must BE funny, and they immediately shower it with accolades such as "Wow", "Hilarious", "Awesome" and, most side-splitting of all, "LOL".

Sorry, I seem to be showing my age. Enjoy yourselves LOLling away.

Richard

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:44:00 UTC | #143897

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Zara

Comment #151544 by Richard Dawkins

just tell me whose side it's on.

Maybe I am showing my age too, but I found it too embarassing to watch for long, and have no clue as to the "angle".

It is sad that Tom Lehrer retired, I say.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:49:00 UTC | #143899

KristianForselv's Avatar Comment 6 by KristianForselv

*claps hands* very well made video ;)

Aside from the intro, I Can't really see any anti-anything in the rap.

Would it be possible to get a rap-response from "Dr.D and the 4 horsemen" ? :-)

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:59:00 UTC | #143903

dancingthemantaray's Avatar Comment 7 by dancingthemantaray

Well...it tickled my funny bone..

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:01:00 UTC | #143904

mmarietta's Avatar Comment 8 by mmarietta

Comment #51 at pharyngula has the lyrics: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/03/if_you_heard_my_voice_you_know.php#comments

Seems rather pro-science to me.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:09:00 UTC | #143906

dancingthemantaray's Avatar Comment 9 by dancingthemantaray

Does it matter either way? It's funny and well done....

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:18:00 UTC | #143908

riki's Avatar Comment 10 by riki

It's pro science, pro dick in an irreverent way that would appeal to younger, hipper audiences. It's linked up on Bad Astronomy as well http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/03/28/creationism-thats-a-rap/

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:18:00 UTC | #143922

Clive's Avatar Comment 11 by Clive

BEST THING SINCE LIFE OF BRIAN !!!

When's the movie coming out?

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:44:00 UTC | #143929

Mal3's Avatar Comment 12 by Mal3

I got a good chuckle out of Hitchen's headband.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:51:00 UTC | #143931

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 13 by Oromasdes1978

Richard,

I am as confused as you are about this video and I have the mind of an adolescent tucked away in this 29 year old head of mine!

What the hell was that all about?

Philip

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:03:00 UTC | #143933

AllanW's Avatar Comment 14 by AllanW

I think there are enough pro-science lyrics in it to think it rests on 'our' side. Plus the visuals are quite ironic in many cases. I can understand a little confusion but I put that down to muddled and mangled use of the language (which I believe is normal for this kind of music). On the whole it's entertaining IMO.

I think I'll have a hard time getting the image of Eugenie Scott rubbing her bikini-clad (and plainly male) body out of my head ...

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:09:00 UTC | #143935

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 15 by Eventhorizon

I think what they are taking the piss out of is the argument between atheist and the religious. It seems they think both sides are making claims they cant back up (although we know different). They took some time on the lyrics though - I couldnt rhyme like that.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:10:00 UTC | #143937

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 16 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

I'm fairly certain this is pro, the lyrics are pretty unequivocal, and damn it is funny. There is also a high quality torrent here http://www.mininova.org/tor/1278276

If you liked the YT version, you'll love this. Any idea yet you did it?

The semi-authoritative lyric transcript:

My name is D to the I to C to the K, Yeah I'm the Dickie D,
I gots my PhD and comin' your way on the Youtube to bust your world view so just listen to me and don't you argue.

You see, this battle's been ragin' since Zeus was on the bottle,'tween Science like Democritus and Faith like Aristotle,
who said the mover was unmovin' like some magic trick but
that's no good logic, my posse is far too quick for this
religious sthick.

Cos science is the only way to know y'all, you stand with me y'all, or you can fall y'all

So go ahead and take your pick...

ES: Yeah you tell him Rick ...
Darwin : Cos if you don't know me ...

RD: YOU DON'T KNOW DICK!!

Chorus : Yeah he's the Dick to the Doc to the PhD,
he's smarter than you he's got a science degree!
Yeah he's the Dick to the Doc to the PhD,
he's smarter than you he's got a science degree!

SH:On the shoulders of midgets we built up this machine,
DD:YEAH!!!

RD: Science silenced that watchdog wingnut Paley
growing stronger and harder almost daily, storming Wilber by force as we framed the discourse that faith and science are split in schismatic divorce.

Then Darwin took to the seas to see what no one had seen, and ever since then we've been increasingly keen, they may never adore us, but they'll no longer ignore us,

give it to 'em PZ hit these BLEEP with the chorus!!!

Chorus : Yeah he's the Dick to the Doc to the PhD,
he's smarter than you he's got a science degree!
The Dick to the Doc to the PhD,
he's still smarter than you he studied biology!

Then there was Darrow dukin' it out with the straight and the narrow,
a ragin' bull in the ring, he did his thing, and took it on the chin like he was Bobby De Niro.

We might have lost at Scopes, beaten down by the dopes, and the stooges of popes, but in losin' we coped, becomin' more than we hoped, creationists slipped on the soap of their own slippery slope.

What was impossible, improbable, is now wholly unstoppable untoppleable, the Dick Doc'll roll up as you creationists foldup

you haters talkin' bull,
don't you know that this Dick is un-cock-frickin' blockable ...

Chorus : Yeah he's the Dick to the Doc to the phd,
he's smarter than you he's got a science degree!
The Dick to the Doc to the phd,
he's still smarter than you he studied biology!

Now the machine of our making, sees culture ripe for the taking,

Cos I'm the rappinest, rabidest atheist who unlike the Catholic, Muslim or even the Jew, believes that no God but science could ever be true, hell if I was dyslexic I'd even hate "dog" too.

Time to open your eyes, get yourself wise, the age of science will rise to be religion's demise,

and while you churchies all cry, shouting 'why God oh why,' I'll still be poppin' my collar earning more dollars than Allah.

Hollah!

Chorus : Yeah he's the Dick to the Doc to the phd,
he's smarter than you he's got a science degree!
The Dick to the Doc to the phd,
he's still smarter than you he studied biology!

Chorus : Yeah he's the Dick to the Doc to the phd,
he's smarter than you he's got a science degree!
The Dick to the Doc to the phd,
he's still smarter than you he studied biology!

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:30:00 UTC | #143941

MHA's Avatar Comment 17 by MHA

Cool song. Not my cup of tea though, I like my music a little bit heavier. I got the idea that it is pro sciense and could actually appeal to younger population. I guess that's pretty cool drug against religious indoctrination that our schools are full of nowdays. :)

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:34:00 UTC | #143944

lievemebe's Avatar Comment 18 by lievemebe

I could not separate irony from misconception from pro-science in this clip. I am utterly confused about its intent. Perhaps it is Part I.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:38:00 UTC | #143947

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 19 by jaytee_555

Like Prof Dawkins, (and the same age as him) I couldn't understand a word of it. In any case, I hate rap, considering it a form of sound for people who have difficulties with music. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I read the 'translation' and realised that whoever wrote the words was pretty well informed. The whole thing is professional and well-produced, and seemed to me to be more of a clever, studied rap 'piss-take' than anything else - likely to go over the heads of anyone who isn't familiar with the subject matter. Not my cup of tea, though obviously popular with a lot of posters on this site...and it helps the cause.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:41:00 UTC | #143949

Artful_Dodger's Avatar Comment 20 by Artful_Dodger

Fantastic! The funniest piss-take I've seen for ages! Well done, and thanks for posting it.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:50:00 UTC | #143950

Geoff's Avatar Comment 21 by Geoff

I must be getting old. Even reading the transcript didn't help. Perhaps wooter could translate?

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:54:00 UTC | #143951

hmcook87's Avatar Comment 22 by hmcook87

Its either an attempt to "discredit" science, or a clever parody of the creationist position. The beginning of the video, containing the words "ministry of science propaganda" and the "expulsion" of a scientist for failing to see natural selection occurring in a microscope certainly portrays the creationist take on things. But the rest of the video portrays the scientific side as such awesome badasses that if it is designed to discredit it does a very ineffective job.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:09:00 UTC | #143958

briancoughlanworldcitizen's Avatar Comment 23 by briancoughlanworldcitizen

Wot!!?

There are all sorts of clever references to pivotal points in the reason vs faith wars.

The discussion about worldview among Greek philosophers.
Willam Palleys "Divine Watchmaker".
Darwins journey to the Gallapagos.
Huxley kicking Bishop Wilberforces ass.
The Scopes trial.
The unstoppable rise of science and reason, most recently personified by Dawkins "posse" PZ, Harris, Hitchens, Dennett and Eugenie Scott.

It's parody sure, but the overall message seems to be pro science. The heaviest exaggeration is for the business with scientists being expelled. The "machine" is real, it is the scientific method which has become as inexorable as evolution itself. If you spout bullshit, you WILL eventually be expelled, because your more grounded and sensible peers will no longer see you as a valuable or useful collaborator. However, if thats a conspiracy so is basic human nature.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:20:00 UTC | #143961

_J_'s Avatar Comment 24 by _J_

hmcook87 - Yes!

I guiltily enjoyed that. On the surface of it, its anti-science/'New Atheism' position is tripe. But it's so well done, with so much attention to detail, so many little jokes - it just displays more care and wit than any of the usual (careless and witless) attempts at pro-religious satire.

Maybe we're all just flattering ourselves in thinking 'If they're canny enough to make a slick video like this, they must be on "our side" really'. It's genuinely hard to tell - the whole thing's so steeped in irony that you can't say for sure which 'level' it stops at - who's spoofing whom.

Like Richard, it reminds me of South Park, but for a different reason. South Park will gleefully savage both sides of an argument, grabbing its laughs from satirising all camps. You can't say for sure who is supposed to be the butt of this joke, but you can appreciate the execution of it, and you can be willing to laugh at yourself. The people who fall foul of this kind of satire are those who get uppity about the whole thing and either dismiss it all as rubbish (it is well done, even if it isn't to everyone's taste) or take serious offence to it.

You gotta take it on the chin like Bobby De Niro...

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:34:00 UTC | #143965

Geoff's Avatar Comment 25 by Geoff

Yes Brian, sorry, I meant the language, not the content.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:35:00 UTC | #143966

Dr Benway's Avatar Comment 26 by Dr Benway

Richard, I think this is a compliment.

Young people can't express their admiration toward you as they might toward a rock star or sports hero without feeling conflicted about that. Being a fan is a little too close to playing the syncophant, which you just can't do if you view yourself as an independent thinker.

So the admiration must be tempered with a bit of humiliation. All the best teachers get this sort of treatment from each new generation of students.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:51:00 UTC | #143969

Mark Smith's Avatar Comment 27 by Mark Smith

I think it is a very well done entertaining piece (if you like 'that sort of thing' - I can understand why some do not). As with most 'art', it is ambiguous and can be interpreted a number of ways. In a sense, I think it laughs at both sides of the argument, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Edit: I think Dr Benway above probably has it right also.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:58:00 UTC | #143970

bitbutter's Avatar Comment 28 by bitbutter

I agree with themodestagnostic's Youtube comment here:

I'm thinking it's pro Dawkins now. It starts off sounding pro expelled, which cleverly draws in an atypical audience, but gradually tells a story which is basically true. I confess fascination:-)

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:33:00 UTC | #143977

Thor'Ungal's Avatar Comment 29 by Thor'Ungal

I dunno about anyone else but I do get a warm fuzzy feeling everytime the machine hurls screaming some errant creationists. Yes I know it's wrong but still imagine Kent Hovind at the end of one of those claws. Wrong...but funny.

ooh: "We appreciate you concern, it is noted and stupid", classic

For some reason Dan Dennet suits that look.

Thor'Ungal

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 06:08:00 UTC | #143987

Jimbesity's Avatar Comment 30 by Jimbesity

Dennett looks absolutely splendid! It reminds me somewhat -- if you'll forgive me -- of a picture I saw once of 'Pimp Gandalf'. Eugenie looks ridiculous as well, but it all adds to the laugh.

Sat, 29 Mar 2008 06:16:00 UTC | #143989