← The Atheist Next Door

The Atheist Next Door - Comments

JemyM's Avatar Comment 1 by JemyM

Where do I place my trust and my hope.

I place my trust and my hope in humanity and the human spirit. I can see good people in all cultures, all nations, all religions, even the ones weighted down by the bad.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:16:00 UTC | #149037

TheSwede's Avatar Comment 2 by TheSwede

I love (read: hate) the terminology by the reporter:
-"They do not believe in God"

Why doesn't he say "They do not believe in a god" or "they don't believe in any gods" or "they do not believe in any supernatural being or force"?

Saying what he does implies that they deviate from a standard. Culturally I can accept this, given that americans generally are christian - but to the idea of atheism this is irrelevant.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #149040

Vaal's Avatar Comment 4 by Vaal

Where do I place my trust and my hope?

NOT in a despotic desert God who will fry me for eternity for not groveling in worship. In crisis, as we all do, just get through it with the help of friends and family, and understand that life does have some nasty elements we all have to face, as well as good, without obeisance to a non existent supernatural entity.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #149043

AdrianB's Avatar Comment 3 by AdrianB

Interesting that they suggest atheists have become more outspoken in response to the increasing power of the religious right.

Perhaps the penny will drop, that in their attempt to monopolise "everything" the religious right will one day end up with "nothing."

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #149042

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 5 by Enlightenme..

They found this family in America where ALL FOUR of them are rational human beings ?? This is some real weird shit.

"they suggest atheists have become more outspoken"
I think he said 'Lashing out'!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:28:00 UTC | #149048

friendly-atheist's Avatar Comment 6 by friendly-atheist

"they don't believe in God!" dundundunnnnnnn!

they should have had scary horror film music at that part.

people should back up their beliefs with evidence? what a radical notion!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:30:00 UTC | #149050

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 7 by phil rimmer

Nah! It was faked. You could see when they turned away, they had glinty red eyes....

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:37:00 UTC | #149055

Alkal's Avatar Comment 8 by Alkal

Whom do you trust...?

Myself, who is far more real than an invisible sky fairy...

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:40:00 UTC | #149058

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 9 by Colwyn Abernathy

"Vigorously responding to Christians who are outspoken in politics..."

Yeah, it's ALL ABOUT YOU. Irrational word and deed is the same regardless of creed, that means ANY god/goddess/deity. Your particular brand of theism isn't special, just the most popular in the US.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:41:00 UTC | #149059

Jay G's Avatar Comment 10 by Jay G

There is NO family in America all of whose members are rational. I would wager that there are few, if any, who have even 1 rational member

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #149060

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 11 by Colwyn Abernathy

Myself, who is far more real than an invisible sky fairy...

And my Fellow Travelers. Sure, they can let me down, betray me, or take advantage of me, but at least there's something REAL to blame and count on alike.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:45:00 UTC | #149062

JSCintron's Avatar Comment 12 by JSCintron

You make a very good point TheSwede.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:54:00 UTC | #149067

FreeThink25's Avatar Comment 13 by FreeThink25

What do you place your trust in during time of need?

Translation: You mean you don't have an imaginary friend?!?

This question doesn't even make any sense. It operates under the premise that you MUST place trust in something external during a time of need, rather than just adapting/surviving/coping. A gazelle being chased by a cheetah doesn't place its trust in anything...it just runs its ass off.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:55:00 UTC | #149070

jimbob's Avatar Comment 14 by jimbob

When are we going to stop this passive approach to the "how can you be moral without god" question?

For goodness sake --- religion is an impediment to humanistic morality more often than not! Let's go on the offensive and point that out for a change!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:00:00 UTC | #149075

kaiser's Avatar Comment 15 by kaiser

The Bishop looks like George Carlin

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:07:00 UTC | #149081

rotaTOR's Avatar Comment 16 by rotaTOR

I will wager that you fool. 300 million people are all irrational? what nonsense. how old are you?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:13:00 UTC | #149084

Blue Monster 65's Avatar Comment 17 by Blue Monster 65

Interesting ... it locked up on me when it got to the Pastor asking, "Where do you place your hope?"

How about in my family and friends? How about in the fact that they are more likely to behave rationally and logically than someone who places than someone who places their faith in fairytales?

People, good sir, who are willing to do the right thing and be there in times of trouble and strife for their families and friends, as I would be for them.

Woof! - Scott

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:14:00 UTC | #149085

mrjonno's Avatar Comment 18 by mrjonno

Its just weird watching that program as a Brit.
We share the same language as the US (mostly) but here 90% of citizens are atheist or agnostic/dont care where in the US 90% are seriously religious.

Just shows how culturely different we have become

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:15:00 UTC | #149086

AmericanGodless's Avatar Comment 19 by AmericanGodless

The difference:
Religious morality: responsibility TO a moral code.
Godless morality: responsibility TO AND FOR a moral code.

The greatest evil of religion is that believers can do anything and feel good about it, just as long as they can pretend that it is approved by their god, their church, their pastor, or someone/something other than themselves. The godless have nobody else to blame, nothing to hide behind. How can you be moral without being godless?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:20:00 UTC | #149091

black wolf's Avatar Comment 20 by black wolf

It's really irrelevant if some people (in the US) become outspoken atheists in reaction to the religious right, or not. What matters is that they have a case, and if the religious right would walk into the ocean never to resurface, the atheist case would be just as valid.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:27:00 UTC | #149094

Jay G's Avatar Comment 21 by Jay G

#16

Your question about my age is a non-sequitur.

I'll grant you that my comment was something of an over-statement. Forgive me.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:31:00 UTC | #149097

chezzyd's Avatar Comment 22 by chezzyd

Actually I think this is one of the kinder, more balanced reports I've seen on US news. Maybe the tide is turning? Maybe the consciousness raising that Richard, Sam et al have been doing is starting to filter through??

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:48:00 UTC | #149114

atheist_peace's Avatar Comment 23 by atheist_peace

"Religious scholar"

Isn't that a contradiction of terms?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:36:00 UTC | #149159

al-rawandi's Avatar Comment 24 by al-rawandi

atheist_peace,

Nope. One who studies religion. Could be an anthropologist or historian.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:39:00 UTC | #149161

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 25 by Pattern Seeker

What!? There's an atheist who lives next door to me? Time to gather the pitchforks and torches and call the local mob for a witch hunt.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:55:00 UTC | #149183

Corylus's Avatar Comment 26 by Corylus

Phil

Damn straight. That poodle looked pretty shifty too.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:06:00 UTC | #149198

MelM's Avatar Comment 27 by MelM

"Where do you place your trust....?"

In March, there were two U.S. families who put there trust in the bishop's god. Their "prayer healing" for ill children didn't work; the kids died. Maybe this bishop should be reinterviewed; it would be interesting to see what puke he disgorges next time.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:52:00 UTC | #149246

annabanana's Avatar Comment 28 by annabanana

I love how at the beginning of the story, the journalist says something like "By all appearances, the Lowes are a normal, loving family..." as if he's about to tell you something that will show that they are not a normal loving family. WTF!?!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:13:00 UTC | #149277

ZekeCDN's Avatar Comment 29 by ZekeCDN

Sure we can pick nits with the report (or some of the terminology used) but overall I thought it was a refreshingly positive portrayal--especially when compared with the typical treatment of the subject in the U.S. media. Remember that farcical "panel discussion" on CNN last year?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:15:00 UTC | #149279

MarieCooper's Avatar Comment 30 by MarieCooper

I can't believe that America (or anywhere) needs to have this discussion and be told that atheist are ordinary people too.
Do they think we all have horns and tails?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:46:00 UTC | #149314