← Discussion between Richard Dawkins and Paula Kirby

Discussion between Richard Dawkins and Paula Kirby - Comments

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 1 by Quetzalcoatl

Don't have time to watch this all now, damn it! From skimming it, it sounds fascinating.

Completely off topic- Paula, you sound nothing like I expected you to!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:46:00 UTC | #149234

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 2 by the great teapot

Bloody hell Paula,
You're a natural, you should be on telly.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:57:00 UTC | #149253

Jiten's Avatar Comment 3 by Jiten

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:00:00 UTC | #149261

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 4 by Paula Kirby

Jiten: Just watched the Intro so far and a lavish intro for Richard but none for Paula.I still don't know WHO she is.(I of course know her from her contributions here.)Maybe it has been mentioned already in some other thread of which I'm unaware.
Well, to be fair, it wasn't really me those 850 people in the audience were interested in! :-)

I was introduced as having moved to the Highlands about 7 years ago, and as being a former Christian, now atheist. I think that summed it up pretty well!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:05:00 UTC | #149269

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Zara

Bloody hell Paula, You're a natural, you should be on telly.

I used to be a lecturer, and was also involved in a course teaching communication skills. In my experience, it takes a lot of practice and ability to make things look as easy as Paula did.

Also, Richard is on superb form. What a way with words! I think, though, there may be some hint of the cold getting to him in his delightfully fed-up reaction to the "why are there still chimps" question.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:13:00 UTC | #149278

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 6 by the great teapot

Steve,
I don't doubt it takes hard work, but I could practice and train for a month of sundays and get nowhere near that level of competence.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:19:00 UTC | #149286

Vadjong's Avatar Comment 7 by Vadjong

I have to be up in three hours, but I'm gonna watch this now.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #149291

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 8 by Steve Zara

The right training can work wonders. I have seen shy mumbling people turn into clear confident speakers at the end of a course (mind you, that was weekly lessons over a year).

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:23:00 UTC | #149292

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 9 by the great teapot

Where do I sign up?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:28:00 UTC | #149294

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 10 by Bonzai

The right training can work wonders. I have seen shy mumbling people turn into clear confident speakers at the end of a course..

Don't know about courses. Being an exhibitionist would help, or pills.

I have always been a very confident public speaker. I have been in debates, poetry recitation contests and singing contests since I was a child and now I also teach. Stage fright has never been a problem to me. I have been told that I am somewhat of an exhibitionist in public though privately, one on one I can be very shy..

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:28:00 UTC | #149295

Star Spangled Eagle's Avatar Comment 11 by Star Spangled Eagle

Fantastic video. Well done Richard. Well done Paula. If only the player was a bit better.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #149303

spoox's Avatar Comment 12 by spoox

Direct links to the .FLV video files since I saw people mentioning problems with the embedded/Flash player. Can be downloaded and played locally using a Flash player or using any random player if you have the FLV directshow filter installed (Windows):

http://www.library.uhi.ac.uk/dawkins/dawkins intro.flv
http://www.library.uhi.ac.uk/dawkins/dawkins talk.flv

Files are appx 25MB, 185MB, 82MB, 161MB.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:40:00 UTC | #149304

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 13 by BigJohn

Is this available in some other format?. It is either it is too small or too pixellated. Sorry to complain.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:44:00 UTC | #149310

Benjamin P.'s Avatar Comment 14 by Benjamin P.

Just started watching this. Until here, I must say Richard is brilliant in explainend Evolution shortly and to the point. Every child could understand this. I wonder if creationists put their fingers in their ears, if he talks or how ignorant they really are.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:46:00 UTC | #149316

black wolf's Avatar Comment 15 by black wolf

That's cool. Dawkins expresses my thoughts on the 'Why' question in almost the exact words I've used on this site a while ago. 'Just because a language allows a question to be formed doesn't mean that it's a meanigful question or that it deserves an answer'. Very nice. I sort of feel flattered.
No, I don't think he quoted or paraphrased me. ;)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:49:00 UTC | #149318

Vaal's Avatar Comment 16 by Vaal

Very good Paula. I know how difficult public speaking is, and you didn't seem nervous at all, and came across as very relaxed and fair. I did expect you to have a Scottish accent, as my nieces are English and have lived in Elgin for years now, and I can scarcely understand them. Your voice carried very well and was clear and pleasant.

Good to hear Richard explaining so clearly, nice to hear him reading from his book and coming across as so reasonable and concise. I was pleased to see the reaction from the audience.. however, still going through the questions... so, catch up later..

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:51:00 UTC | #149319

Chuk15's Avatar Comment 17 by Chuk15

Links are not working for me. Did a check on http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ And the links came up not found.

If anyone's got a solution, I'm listening.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:06:00 UTC | #149325

Melissa's Avatar Comment 18 by Melissa

I was lucky enough to be there, what a great afternoon! One of the abstracts from RD's writings that Paula asked him to read was one of my favourites: the way that atoms are lined to form diamonds, it was just breathtaking, scientific beauty in action.

Paula, I'm the woman who approached you and RD at Inverness airport and mumbled something along the lines of "I have read all your books" then blushed every shade of red. How embarassing!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:08:00 UTC | #149328

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 19 by Matt H.

Paula, you have a lovely voice. You came across as very pleasant and well spoken, and you didn't seem at all nervous! Well done.

Relieving to see Richard talking again, last time I saw him he was on the BBC's 'Big Questions' Sunday morning religious programme, and he wasn't allowed to talk much.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:08:00 UTC | #149329

Bollwerk's Avatar Comment 20 by Bollwerk

Looks like their server is overloaded or slow or I'm too far away here in California. It is taking forever after I click on the links.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:10:00 UTC | #149331

decius's Avatar Comment 21 by decius

Pity. A totally clueless encoding, resulting in an extremely poor image quality and a large file size at the same time.
Rather infuriating that library staff wouldn't know how to handle digital media.

Brava Paula!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:17:00 UTC | #149337

The Science Pundit's Avatar Comment 22 by The Science Pundit

I'll have to check out this "RichardDawkins.net" that he recommends at the end of the Talk video.
;-)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:22:00 UTC | #149339

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 23 by Diacanu

Dammit, I'm on my old computer, and can't crack open any of those weird ass new-fangled formats!

Can someone rip it to Mpeg?

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:24:00 UTC | #149341

decius's Avatar Comment 24 by decius

Diacanu, I see no point in processing any further this junk. Hopefully a better format will be made available.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #149343

Peadar's Avatar Comment 25 by Peadar

Well done Richard and Paula! It's a pity that the last questioner of the Q&A session was a religious zealot. You could feel the tension in the theatre. However Richard's response that he was hallucinating was priceless.

I think the moderator could have done a better job of time keeping. Too much time was devoted to the gentleman extolling biblical prophesy. These seemed to deflate the general intellectual discourse of the Q&A session. However, overall it was well worth watching.

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:32:00 UTC | #149345

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 26 by Szymanowski

Argh the guy asking about the LHC in part 2 has a verbosity issue! I'm still waiting for him to finish...

... aha :)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:01:00 UTC | #149351

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 27 by Szymanowski

The Christian questioning at the end! is a Scottish incarnation of Alister McGrath! His voice goes up! at the end of every clause! like he is constantly surprised!

(sorry, this is totally off-topic... I found all the female Scots accents very sexy btw!)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:20:00 UTC | #149357

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 28 by Styrer-

Oh Paula. You overwhelm me.

Not only were you yourself a magnificent, professional and genuinely engaged interviewer, but you also brought out some of the very best of Richard that I have had the pleasure to see in quite a while.

Please accept my most sincere thanks for doing this.

For Richard - what a privilege it always is to hear him speak about how we arrived here and how we should really consider ourselves so very lucky to be reflecting on our origins at all.

Hyperbole and special pleading be damned - this is one of the best Dawkins interviews I have ever seen, and that Paula, fellow RD.nettist, was its driving force simply adds to the pleasure.

Thank you so much.

Styrer

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:45:00 UTC | #149360

Ed-words's Avatar Comment 29 by Ed-words

The best arguments against a PERSONAL God's

existence for me can be found in the

godawful history of religion.

He wouldn't be that bad a CEO!

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:26:00 UTC | #149403

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 30 by robotaholic

Paula you're fabulous! I'm so impressed. Thanks so much. I am so enjoying this. I will never look at crystals the same way again either. :)

Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:30:00 UTC | #149406