← Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher

Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher - Comments

tman's Avatar Comment 1 by tman

That made my night. Too Funny.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:09:00 UTC | #151386

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 2 by Oromasdes1978

I thought the questions were good and allowed Richard time to get some interesting points across.

Plus, here have evidence of Richard being able to change his mind once given better evidence, now Richard thinks the same as I do about Francis Collins! :)

Cheers

Philip

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:11:00 UTC | #151387

History_Junky's Avatar Comment 3 by History_Junky

That was entertaining, good work Mr.Dawkins!

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:11:00 UTC | #151388

Madphatcat's Avatar Comment 4 by Madphatcat

Maybe he thinks the noises snakes make naturally is a kind of language. You know like Parseltongue from Harry Potter. :p

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:12:00 UTC | #151389

RationalistHomeTchr's Avatar Comment 5 by RationalistHomeTchr

So nice to have a relaxed and funny video clip to show. The Prof. changes his mind twice (about Francis Collins AND about his own rating on the scale of atheism--from 6 to 6.9)...Both were very charming.

...I wonder which of Prof. Dawkins' phrases Bill Maher has "stolen"?

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:17:00 UTC | #151390

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 6 by Oromasdes1978

Philip

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:26:00 UTC | #151391

cam9976's Avatar Comment 7 by cam9976

It's always wonderful to see atheists teaming up like this: Maher brings his popularity and comedic sense to the table while Dawkins espouses his massive intellect.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:27:00 UTC | #151392

Bueller_007's Avatar Comment 9 by Bueller_007

>I am going to have to say it again, Bill is going up in my estimations even more these days, I thought that was a good interview.

Well, to be sure, he's reasonable about many things, but did you hear his rant against prescription drugs?

He actually made me agree with Jonah f-ing Goldberg.

Skip to five minutes in. Now THIS is religion:

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:33:00 UTC | #151394

sarah95's Avatar Comment 8 by sarah95

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:33:00 UTC | #151393

MPhil's Avatar Comment 10 by MPhil

Used to like Maher quite a bit - especially his stand-up work - some good points, some good jokes and sometimes very good at performing.

But he's a hit and miss guy, really. Some very strange ideas - sometimes taking a good idea and pushing it into lunacy (careful with meds - don't take a pill for every little thing -> meds are evil for example). Also, some of his political positions are a little strange and unsubstantiated, and he doesn't seem to be able to acknowledge when he's wrong about them... but I do enjoy him now and then.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:43:00 UTC | #151396

Bueller_007's Avatar Comment 11 by Bueller_007

>Crazy old man, Collins really does go for the whole talking snake bollocks, the guy is both VERY intelligent and VERY bloody stupid at the same time! :)

I don't see anything in your link to support this claim. Collins is a critic of creationism (inc. intelligent design), so I don't see how he could possibly reconcile evolution with Adam and Eve in anything more than the symbolic sense.

This is his view on the matter:

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:46:00 UTC | #151397

SteveN's Avatar Comment 12 by SteveN

Thank you Philip1978 for posting that link to Sam Harris' review of Collins' book. I haven't heard or read much from Sam recently, and had missed that review when it first appeared. His razor-sharp wit combined with his eloquence is always refreshing. I particularly liked:

In [The Language of God], he attempts to demonstrate that there is "a consistent and profoundly satisfying harmony" between 21st-century science and evangelical Christianity. To say that he fails at his task does not quite get at the inadequacy of his efforts. He fails the way a surgeon would fail if he attempted to operate using only his toes. His failure is predictable, spectacular and vile."

and

"It is at this point that thoughts of suicide might occur to any reader who has placed undue trust in the intellectual integrity of his fellow human beings."

Go Sam!

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:54:00 UTC | #151398

TheGreatBZ's Avatar Comment 13 by TheGreatBZ

People are not stupid because they believe in talking snakes. They are irrational insofar as they do believe in that, but to claim that they are stupid because of that is going to far. You can be irrational in one thing without being irrational in others.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:06:00 UTC | #151401

Midas's Avatar Comment 14 by Midas

I've read Francis Collins book "The Language of God", and he definitely is not the sort of Christian who would believe in talking snakes. I though Maher verballed him. I agree with Bueller_007, Collins is anti-ID, fully accepts all aspects of evolution and shouldn't be derided with that lot.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:17:00 UTC | #151405

Quine's Avatar Comment 15 by Quine

I read Collins' book. It went along fine while he was putting forth the message that evolution is real, and I often use it against creationists and IDiots. However, once he gets to the part about seeing the three part frozen waterfall, it goes straight down the drain.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:20:00 UTC | #151406

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 16 by Enlightenme..

"People are not stupid because they believe in talking snakes."

If that is understood as a metaphor for 'the devil on [eve's] shoulder', then I suppose I can somehow relate to that.

Otherwise, I cannot concieve of a compartment secure enough to contain that much stupid...
there is no compartment in my mind that can hold that concept!

I have done a quick search around to find this Bill Maher interview of Collins, can somebody post a link? - after doing a quick scan of the God vs Science article in Time magazine Collins really doesn't seem to be from the batshit crazy end of the spectrum.
But still, his Paleys watch/frozen waterfall thing is still 'far out'.

Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:59:00 UTC | #151412

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 17 by Peacebeuponme

Not sure it was particularly fair of Richard to be so disimissive of Francis Collins (even before the talking snake revelation). I thought they were friends?

Richard was very funny, but the clip will just add to the theist argument that atheists are smug and arrogant.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:05:00 UTC | #151414

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 18 by Peacebeuponme

Quine

Him reconciling his daughter's rape with God (because she can now help out in a rape crisis centre) is something I found particularly repugnant.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:07:00 UTC | #151415

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 19 by Oromasdes1978

Bueller_007

Sorry if I haven't made myself clear, I have a degree in English and History and should know better :)

Bill is still a bit wacky for my taste, that prescription drug thing amongst others keep me backing off a little each time.

Secondly the link I sent, I agree there is nothing about Adam and Eve and talking snakes and I have misrepresented Collins. I read the waffle about how the 3 frozen waterfalls confirmed his decision to give himself to God and thought it was a similar sort of thing, ie if he can believe in 3 frozen waterfalls, talking snakes would be a breeze!

I hope thats made stuff a bit clearer and I apologise for generalising.

Philip

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:13:00 UTC | #151416

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 20 by Enlightenme..

^ it's not 'believing in' 3 frozen waterfalls - I've never read the direct account, but my impression is he was virtually all the way to conviction already when he stumbled upon these 'triune' waterfalls and it somehow enraptured him.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:27:00 UTC | #151419

Bueller_007's Avatar Comment 21 by Bueller_007

Philip1978, no worries. I can be a bit fussy, especially when I have a touch of free time on my hands, as I do now.

Cheers.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:30:00 UTC | #151420

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 22 by Steve Zara

I wonder if Richard could hear the audience response to his comments? They seemed very favourable and amused.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:30:00 UTC | #151421

Szymanowski's Avatar Comment 23 by Szymanowski

Since that's not an "argument", I couldn't care less!

Seriously. Anyone can see through the 'arrogance' thing. What atheist wears a three-foot-long hat and gold-trimmed robes?

(before any smart-arse pipes up - it's a rhetorical question...)

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:33:00 UTC | #151423

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 24 by Peacebeuponme

Szymanowski

Don't get me wrong, when Dawkins and Hitchens are on form, I'm cheering with the rest of the crowd. I agree with Steve that it was great to hear an American crowd so behind him.

I think its very weak when theists accuse Richard of being shrill and arrogant. I'm just questionning whether its fair or wise to call a scientist of Francis Collins standing an 'administrator'.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:37:00 UTC | #151424

Bueller_007's Avatar Comment 25 by Bueller_007

More Bill stupidity from last night, starting from 41 seconds in:

Sometimes he's really, really off-base.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:38:00 UTC | #151425

MPhil's Avatar Comment 26 by MPhil

Yes, sometimes he is - like with the Magic Johnson part in New Rules - but the final New Rule about the catholic church, especially the last statement on the topic hits the nail on the head:

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:56:00 UTC | #151430

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 27 by Peacebeuponme

Bueller - That bit about the schoolgirl fight has made me not like Maher very much at all.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:04:00 UTC | #151431

ridelo's Avatar Comment 28 by ridelo

A copy of The God Delusion in every hotel room? Wont stay there very long, I guess. A bible yes. Who wants to pinch a bible?

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:18:00 UTC | #151434

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 29 by Stephen Maxwell

Steve Zara, I doubt he could because there probably wasn't one there. As Maher said at the start "today I spoke with the Oxford professor...", probably due to the time difference since Real Time broadcasts live at 11pm in LA.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned it yet but that was clearly a laugh track that they had added and it was pretty distracting.

Apart from that though, the interview was great. I'd love to see Dawkins on the panel some time.

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:20:00 UTC | #151436

CITCOR's Avatar Comment 30 by CITCOR

The Richard Dawkins interview made my night, especially his reaction when he found out Francis Collins really believes in "the talking snake".

Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:27:00 UTC | #151439