← Teacher Expelled Over Religion

Teacher Expelled Over Religion - Comments

steve8282's Avatar Comment 1 by steve8282

Is there any more detail backing the reason for this up?

Unless she gave them somthing else to hang her, I think this would be better than winning the lottery in Merca, home of the lawsuit.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:25:00 UTC | #153585

Gymnopedie's Avatar Comment 2 by Gymnopedie

I thought this crap would end after Dover.

What the hell?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:30:00 UTC | #153590

Wosret's Avatar Comment 3 by Wosret

I seen a new lawsuit crowning the horizon! They should make a movie "Science education: No science allowed"

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:40:00 UTC | #153599

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 4 by Styrer-

While I am sure our US members will have ideas on making suitably loud noises over there, and on who should be hearing them, I wonder if there is any advice for a willing European as to how to join in the fray?

This is an absolute disgrace, my hackles are risen and I'd be grateful for any contact information.

No doubt the magnificent Eugenie Scott will be involved in securing justice for poor Ms. Comer, but as wide an attack as possible is surely nonetheless in order.

Best,
Styrer

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:59:00 UTC | #153617

JayLee's Avatar Comment 5 by JayLee

The title of this news blurb is not accurate. Comer was NOT fired for not teaching ID. She was fired for forwarding an email that suggested she wasn't neutral about the issue. Being fired under the circumstances is bad enough. Texas does not advocate ID or require it to be taught anywhere. Please get your facts straight. Advocates of ID are attempting the same stupid things they try in other states re education. This is certainly an attempt to influence the educational system but it wasn't an attack on a teacher. For accurate information see:

"The Mexican government has failed to establish any public system of education, although possessed of almost boundless resources, the public domain, and although it is an axiom in political science, that unless a people are educated and enlightened, it is idle to expect the continuance of civil liberty, or the capacity for self government."

Texas Declaration of Independence
March 2, 1836

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:09:00 UTC | #153630

haris's Avatar Comment 6 by haris

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #153633

MelM's Avatar Comment 7 by MelM

This story isn't accurate. She was a memeber of a Texas state committee. It was a big shot at the state level who came up with the neutral bit. Because of her position, the consequences are worse than if it had been a teacher firing. I'll see if I can find a link.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:13:00 UTC | #153636

MelM's Avatar Comment 8 by MelM

haris,

Yes, she's the one. Good link.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:15:00 UTC | #153640

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 9 by rod-the-farmer

Yes, is this not old news, with a new YouTube video ? I thought we all got fired up about this back in November 2007, and applied pressure where we thought appropriate. IS there some new news here ?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:18:00 UTC | #153644

akado's Avatar Comment 10 by akado

hmph.....pitiful

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:19:00 UTC | #153647

eclampusvitus's Avatar Comment 11 by eclampusvitus

This is outrageous. I certainly hope Ms. Comer pursues a legal remedy.

ECV

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:20:00 UTC | #153648

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 12 by Tezcatlipoca

Hey JayLee

"educated and enlightended"? In Texas? With a post taken from the Texas declaration of independence? So they justify with words the kind of land grab Hitler was guilty of 100 years later. What did they need? Breathing room?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:23:00 UTC | #153649

cam9976's Avatar Comment 13 by cam9976

Wasn't this settled in Pennsylvania?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:25:00 UTC | #153652

MelM's Avatar Comment 14 by MelM

Here's a link to the NCSE story along with the e-mail at issue.

will young (#161645 by will young)
found the old Dawkins link.

Recently, some important elections results in Texas were pro-evolution.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:26:00 UTC | #153654

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 15 by thewhitepearl

Here is a copy of the actual email that was sent:

I live in Dallas (Tx) and have not heard of any recent news on the subject. It's something I should look into.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:38:00 UTC | #153663

Chris Jackson's Avatar Comment 16 by Chris Jackson

This is absolutely abhorrent. Not only are the IDiot clan foisting their mumbo-jumbo on the world of science, but they're also strong-arming out any opposition? There aren't exclamations strong enough to express my rage at this. What gives these people the right to not only break the traditional non-overlapping magisterium agreement, but also to attack the truth of the matter.

It's fair enough if creationists and other invertebrates want to tout their own specific brand of Bronze-age ignorance, that's their right. But to actively attack schoolteachers for not being neutral? I'm incandescent. Show me someone who can remain neutral over the issue of creationism, and I'll show you an ignorant c**t.

This just ruined my night.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:41:00 UTC | #153666

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 17 by Tezcatlipoca

-Will Young-

Thanks for the link. I claim "Shenanigans!" on Texas. (My state of birth...besides alive, human and male...)

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:42:00 UTC | #153667

exquisitetruth's Avatar Comment 18 by exquisitetruth

I've had the link to expelledexposed.com on my site for weeks. Ben Stein has paid so much money that I can't keep his banner off of it.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:50:00 UTC | #153673

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 19 by rod-the-farmer

I note that the person who actually forced Ms. Comer out, has a degree in political science (there's that word again) yet no background in education, and worked for President Bush in Texas. Good thing I am not a Texas resident or I would be all over this like a rash.

Thanks to Dan Piraro for the above. Somewhat relevant.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:50:00 UTC | #153674

MorituriMax's Avatar Comment 20 by MorituriMax

Please tell me there are lawyers who are going to jump in and help this woman? Maybe the people who cracked the whip on ID with Judge Jones should get in touch with her, if they aren't already.

Geez, what's left, voodoo rites being required curriculum in medical school?

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:53:00 UTC | #153678

JayLee's Avatar Comment 21 by JayLee

Tezcatlipoca,

My bad. I forgot "educated and enlightened" can't possibly be associated with Texas. It isn't politically correct and certainly doesn't fit in the dogma associated with this website.

I apologize. I had forgotten that comments are only welcome from the converted. I will never, ever post again in fear of your rapier wit and powerful intellect. Please post a website where I can purchase a compilation of Tezcatlipoca's Thoughts on Everything.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:06:00 UTC | #153691

Double Bass Atheist's Avatar Comment 22 by Double Bass Atheist

This story was originally posted here last December 4:

...and it's just as irritating the second time around!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #153702

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 23 by D'Arcy

I believe I made a similar comment on the above link (Double Bass Atheist 25):

Surely there are enough guns in Texas to shoot down this nonsense. Everything's bigger in Texas, including the lies.

6004 year old Earth (plus universe)? Now that is a LIE. But since when did Christians ever worry about lying? They don't even believe in their own commandments.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:31:00 UTC | #153720

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 24 by Tezcatlipoca

JayLee,

A "Don't mess with Texas" would have sufficed...geez...hahaha!

"brevity is the soul of wit" after all!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:39:00 UTC | #153728

MelM's Avatar Comment 25 by MelM

What's "news" in this is the link to NCSE's new "EXPELLED EXPOSED" web site. It even looks into the real stories behind the people that were "expelled." Check it out.

I think this new web site really should have been the main point of this post.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:48:00 UTC | #153748

JayLee's Avatar Comment 26 by JayLee

I've noticed that the movie trailer has been running for Expelled Exposed. What happened to the lawsuit re the plagiarism? Was there some talk that the lawsuit might delay the movie opening?

The movie trailer that I saw featured Ben Stein and mentioned little about the content. People could easily be misled about the nature of the movie.

When I asked other professors what they knew about the "Ben Stein movie" none of them had heard anything. Hope it flops.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:19:00 UTC | #153761

mrgoodjob's Avatar Comment 27 by mrgoodjob

She'll be offered a better job teaching somewhere else for more money, write at least one book, be paid for public appearances, and be recognized for as hero... Good for her!

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:18:00 UTC | #153790

black wolf's Avatar Comment 28 by black wolf

Over at Panda's Thumb someone listed cases of teachers and scientists who were expelled, threatened, injured and even killed for their views. There are 11 people on the list so far. Even if all the stories the ID/creationist people mentioned were accurate, which they are evidentially not, they would still be significantly behind in 'body count'.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:28:00 UTC | #153794

riki's Avatar Comment 29 by riki

They should be sued for 'wrongful dismissal'.

BTW looks like the http://www.expelledexposed.com/ site is down with database problems.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:43:00 UTC | #153801

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 30 by dragonfirematrix

This sounds like something the Islamic would do.

Religion should be banned.

Science is The Truth, The Light, and The Way. No person comes unto the truth except by proof.

Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:47:00 UTC | #153915