← Truly Bizarre : Indians Throw Babies 50ft From Roof To Thank God.

Truly Bizarre : Indians Throw Babies 50ft From Roof To Thank God. - Comments

~manic-depressive's Avatar Comment 1 by ~manic-depressive

Is there no limit to human irrationality?

I am reminded of Nehru's views on religion: "India is supposed to be a religious country above everything else, and Hindu and Moslem and Sikh and others take pride in their faiths and testify to their truth by breaking heads. The spectacle of what is called religion, or at any rate organised religion, in India and elsewhere has filled me with horror, and I have frequently condemned it and wished to make a clean sweep of it. Almost always it seems to stand for blind belief and reaction, dogma and bigotry, superstition and exploitation, and the preservation of vested interests. And yet I knew well that there was something else in it, something which supplied a deep inner craving of human beings. How else could it have been the tremendous power it has been and brought peace and comfort to innumerable tortured souls? Was that peace merely the shelter of blind belief and absence of questioning, the calm that comes from being safe in harbour, protected from the storms of the open sea, or was it something more? In some cases certainly it was something more.
But organized religion, whatever its past may have been, today is largely an empty form devoid of real content. Mr. G. K. Chesterton has compared it (not his own particular brand of religion, but other!) to a fossil which is the form of an animal or organism from which all its own organic substance has entirely disappeared, but has kept its shape, because it has been filled up by some totally different substance. And, even where something of value still remains, it is enveloped by other and harmful contents. That seems to have happened in our Eastern religions as well as in the Western." (From his autobiography)

Nehru was one who realized and expressed the conviction that "the future belonged to science".

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:13:00 UTC | #165796

mikes's Avatar Comment 2 by mikes

And we thought Michael Jackson had a few cards missing from his deck.

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:15:00 UTC | #165798

Pitchfork's Avatar Comment 3 by Pitchfork

Wow...the right to worship. the right to murder... the right to be insane... the right to endanger or injure children...

So typical of religious zealots.

And we are supposed to be tolerant and respectful of these kinds of customs and practices?

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:22:00 UTC | #165800

Tetsujin's Avatar Comment 5 by Tetsujin

...either that or drown it in milk.

Seriously, someone give these people condoms.

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:26:00 UTC | #165803

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 4 by Chris Roberts

I read this in yesterday's paper.

It really does begger belief.
Surely child safety laws should come into play?

Just a thought, do you think Michael Jackson has tried this?

* edit - just read Mike's comment, sorry for the repitition *

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:26:00 UTC | #165802

Hostile2012's Avatar Comment 6 by Hostile2012

I really don't know what to say to this.

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:45:00 UTC | #165807

Paine's Avatar Comment 7 by Paine

Isn't Sanal the same guy who made a fool of that Tantrik black magic clown?

Sat, 03 May 2008 09:47:00 UTC | #165808

Mango's Avatar Comment 8 by Mango

I wonder what the connection is between being blessed with a child and then tossing the child off the roof? I think it's just an excuse for spectacle.

Simple pleasures for simple minds. :)

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:07:00 UTC | #165811

JesusChrist's Avatar Comment 9 by JesusChrist

Surely this seems bizarre by our standards, but if it is true that there has been no evidence of physical harm, then how can we condemn them from the outside? If there really have been no injuries or fatalities this is a great testament to the care these people are taking. To their credit they must understand the danger of what they are doing and are taking what they believe to be the appropriate precautions. This practice still doesn't sit well with me, but we all must be willing to follow the evidence even to uncomfortable places.

Having said that I imagine it would only take one accident to provide the evidence needed to curtail or at least modify this tradition. The claim that this ritual actually helps the health of the infant is one that could and I think should be scientifically investigated. Couldn't it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there's no point in throwing the baby out (with or without the bath water)? On the other hand, if I were a member of this sect I imagine I would welcome the chance to prove the benefits of this ritual to the rest of the world, just as the religious tend to embrace any scientific evidence that would "prove" the benefit of prayer or any other ritual.

Aside from the inherent risk involved, I think the question of consent is a compelling consideration. Obviously these babies aren't choosing of their own free will to be thrown. I would be much more accepting of this practice if those taking the fall were of age to willingly volunteer for it. Then it'd be more like a "trust fall" or even an emergency evacuation drill, which actually could be beneficial; someone who has overcome their fear of heights through practice is more likely to be able to jump to safety from a burning 5-story building.

So for me it boils down to two questions: 1) are they really doing any harm, and even if not 2) is it ethical to do this to people without their consent?

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:08:00 UTC | #165812

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 10 by Quetzalcoatl

When they mentioned the fact that none of the children suffered from any recorded physical disabilities, it reminded me of the joke from the Simpsons about the Tiger-repelling rock.

Paine- yes, it's the same guy.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:11:00 UTC | #165813

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 11 by HourglassMemory

*Sigh*
That's all I say.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:17:00 UTC | #165816

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 12 by phil rimmer

Pathetic.

Now if they had a decent, all powerful God, they'd be able to do it without the aid of the sheet.

(Couldn't watch the clip through. Made me too angry.)

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:19:00 UTC | #165817

Szkeptik's Avatar Comment 13 by Szkeptik

The news on the first child that missed the sheet isn't far away. The parents will probably be standing close enough to hear the bones cracking.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #165819

SharonMcT's Avatar Comment 15 by SharonMcT

I think there is evidence to suggest that there is some physical harm being done: it damages the part of the brain that keeps people from doing stoopid things to children.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #165823

moderndaythomas's Avatar Comment 14 by moderndaythomas

Comment from JesusChrist

I have little trust in the record keeping from areas like this. So to say that for all this time there has been no effects or fatalities is a risky bet. In anycase this is only testimony, and we know that that doesn't count right?

I'm also going to say that because there has been no revealed injury or death, does not remove the obvious risk of injury from the equation.
People cross bussy streets without injury all the time but that doesn't make bussy streets any less dangerous.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #165821

moderndaythomas's Avatar Comment 16 by moderndaythomas

Sharon, very funny! It's like an honorary Darwin award.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:47:00 UTC | #165827

Hawker's Avatar Comment 17 by Hawker

I actually heard that the blessing is only effective from 51 feet....oops! I guess it is a good thing that India has a good tradition of making durable textiles. What type of blessing are they hoping for any way, a child that grows up with strong reasoning skills? I have a hard enough time understanding people that close their eyes and pray let alone this madness. I really think the parents should be dropped over the edge first, then they can get a double blessing...or a fractured skull.

Sat, 03 May 2008 10:53:00 UTC | #165830

ofir's Avatar Comment 18 by ofir

I agree. Why don't you jump off a building and report back on the medical benefits?

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:08:00 UTC | #165834

Jiten's Avatar Comment 19 by Jiten

'kin 'ell ! The things that go on in this world! I wonder what else is happening right now? The most sickening thing is that it is the babies who are having to go through this lunacy; and not the ones who should be,namely the mental virus infected parents.

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:09:00 UTC | #165835

dave2's Avatar Comment 20 by dave2

c'mon guys, it looks like everyone's having fun. wheee!

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:17:00 UTC | #165838

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 21 by Border Collie

I think the throwers should become the throwees, to a proportional distance relative to their size, and simply see how they like it. They would probably attain, within all the fun and games, at least some degree of the enlightment they supposedly seek.

Sat, 03 May 2008 11:23:00 UTC | #165842

GSP's Avatar Comment 22 by GSP

hey, what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger...

Sat, 03 May 2008 12:43:00 UTC | #165867

fatcitymax's Avatar Comment 23 by fatcitymax

Could become a new Olympics sport. The baby that bounces the highest gets the gold medal.

Sat, 03 May 2008 12:48:00 UTC | #165868

Pattern Seeker's Avatar Comment 24 by Pattern Seeker

Somebody should throw those fools off the building. Then we'll find out exactly how fun it is.

...And don't forget to take away the sheet. Idiots.

Sat, 03 May 2008 13:50:00 UTC | #165883

springsfromsalt's Avatar Comment 25 by springsfromsalt

They may not have been physically hurt but there's the unknown emotional effect that concerns me. Being chucked off a roof and then handed from stranger to stranger, all the while crying their eyes out! What a shame!

Sat, 03 May 2008 14:07:00 UTC | #165887

MPhil's Avatar Comment 26 by MPhil

Just because I want to get everyone's attention - I'm posting this on every active thread (I hope you'll forgive me)

Guys - take a look at this...

The Vatican has joined forces with Shiite Muslims.
Ridiculous statements, and a direct attack on negative religious freedom:

(be warned - you may throw up in your mouths)

If any local newspaper of yours runs this story - send a letter to the editor for publishment. Put it on your blogs and tear it to shreads... raise awareness that this is a dangerous alliance, and a large-scale attack on negative religious freedom, freedom of speech- and it is ludicoursly revisionist history!

Sat, 03 May 2008 14:22:00 UTC | #165895

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 27 by rod-the-farmer

The explanation for this is quite simple. Someone in India heard of the western custom of 'dwarf tossing', and simply mis-translated it. Problem solved.

Sat, 03 May 2008 15:12:00 UTC | #165918

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 28 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

The Vatican has joined forces with Shiite Muslims.
No doubt strengthened by their mutual hatred of the Jews.

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:23:00 UTC | #165951

History_Junky's Avatar Comment 29 by History_Junky

One of the things that made me grateful for belonging to the sikh heritage is that the religion was developed to do away with stupid rituals and superstitions like this.

Although ive never believed in god i have always considered sikhism more as a way of life and self identification, never the less I am glad that my ancestors chose to stray away from stupid rituals like this.

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:39:00 UTC | #165957

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 30 by mordacious1

Please don't try this at home! Although, if you feel you must, then it might be a good thing for the Gene Pool.

Sat, 03 May 2008 16:42:00 UTC | #165959