← Trailer for Religulous

Trailer for Religulous - Comments

Labyrinthos's Avatar Comment 1 by Labyrinthos

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:01:00 UTC | #180983

MrPinz's Avatar Comment 3 by MrPinz

If you haven't got quicktime, here's the Youtube link - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kSa2j6UoU78

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:05:00 UTC | #180988

Valiant's Avatar Comment 2 by Valiant

This movie seems

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:05:00 UTC | #180987

briancarnell's Avatar Comment 4 by briancarnell

@1 wrote:

"The discussion about ridiculous beliefs needs to spread from books and editorials to the bowling alley and pub, where the average Joe is. Bill Maher is as average as they come and I think that's a good thing. "

Bill Maher is a vocal opponent of disease research that utilizes animal models. In fact, much of Maher's animal rights views are rather religious in tone and nature, such as in this 2005 interview:

Acknowledging that he sympathizes with animals more deeply than he does with the human race, Maher says, "We are sentient in ways animals are not. Animals are innocent. They're not mean, they don't plot." By contrast, Maher observes, "people are irredeemably fallen."

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:15:00 UTC | #180997

MarcLindenberg's Avatar Comment 5 by MarcLindenberg

Wow, totally looking foreward to this :D

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:24:00 UTC | #181002

designsoda's Avatar Comment 6 by designsoda

I can see the reviews now:

"Maher focuses too much on religious fringe groups."

"Maher is mean because he pokes fun at people's deeply held beliefs."

"But, of course, reasonable people don't believe in a talking snake anymore!"

Etc. etc.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:28:00 UTC | #181008

black wolf's Avatar Comment 7 by black wolf

The meanness and plotting Maher sees as negative is found in most animals of a-bit-higher intelligence, from crows to primates. They hide food from others while communicating they don't have any, they trick each other out of comfortabe areas despite knowing there are others and so on. It's just not as black/white as Maher seems to think. Call it ironic, but these abilities to trick others are part of what allowed intelligence to be a selective advantage.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:29:00 UTC | #181009

RationalPrimate's Avatar Comment 8 by RationalPrimate

@briancarnell

And your point is....?

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:32:00 UTC | #181011

Cambridge'10's Avatar Comment 9 by Cambridge'10

Good, consciousness raising in action. I hope this will reach an audience without the peremptory closing of the mind which The Four Horsemen regularly encounter. Can't wait to see this!

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:36:00 UTC | #181012

Grantaire of JC's Avatar Comment 10 by Grantaire of JC

Very nice. But will this be seen by a large audience? It's a delicate topic for any studio to do, but to be seen in the theaters requires some significant pull. I'd love to be there opening day.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:36:00 UTC | #181013

Angels On a Pin Head's Avatar Comment 11 by Angels On a Pin Head

If you want to download widescreen/HD versions, try these links:

religulous-tlr1a_h480p.mov (34MB)

religulous-tlr1a_h720p.mov (105MB)

religulous-tlr1a_h1080p.mov (171MB)

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:38:00 UTC | #181014

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 12 by mordacious1

Oh, so I won't go see his film because he is a critic of disease research on animals? He is a comedian and satarist exposing religious people, enough for me. Oh, and the fact that he's good at it too.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:40:00 UTC | #181015

Mango's Avatar Comment 13 by Mango

I worry that Bill Maher is making a comedy, not a straight documentary that has the potential to lead many people towards reason. I say that because, from what the trailer depicts, he interviews theists who occupy the fringes of major religions. So maybe 90% of American Christians who see the film will reassure themselves, "I'm not that stupid, I have sophisticated religious beliefs."

BUT, I say that because I'm very accustomed to thinking of Jesus and Allah as no more real than Santa Claus. When Bill Maher compares Jesus to Santa, it might jolt many theists that someone can so nonchalantly call a spade a spade, and maybe when they leave the theater they will continue to think about Maher's humorous jabs with a critical eye towards their long-held beliefs.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:42:00 UTC | #181020

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 14 by HourglassMemory

I find what he says "I'm wrong about everything" to be an actual interesting point.
It just made me think of the whole thing with religious experiences being subjective, and how the fact that they think these are claims about reality, can confuse people(becasue they're so different from each other) and can't get them to find a stable stance on matters of reality (something Science offers). And they sort of shrug and leave alone the fact that everybody just has their own experience of transdiemnsional worlds that care about us and are going to seperate people's souls into heavens and hells of different sorts, like it wasn't that important.

I also like the part that starts at 1:33.

I think this film could get a lot of viewers because it's about a delicate issue and people are curious about what he'll say.
The same happened with the God Delusion. People buy because the title was provocative and the theme was something that you hadn't seen before.

The more things like this there are, the better.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:55:00 UTC | #181039

adk's Avatar Comment 15 by adk

Cool! I want to see this. I hadn't heard of it up til now though, I hope it gets out there some more.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 07:58:00 UTC | #181045

Nentuaby's Avatar Comment 16 by Nentuaby

I'd feel much better about having Bill Maher on my side if he wasn't a certified lunatic in the domain of health care. He's strongly anti-vaccination and advocates that particular theory of "medicine" that sees vaguely defined "toxins" behind every ill.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:01:00 UTC | #181051

Edamus's Avatar Comment 17 by Edamus

Looks good, I'll definately see this... I just hope "Expelled" crazy North Carolina will be getting this... I'd hate to have to drive too far to see it...

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:05:00 UTC | #181054

riki's Avatar Comment 18 by riki

I normally hate the flicks that come out of Lionsgate, but at last something decent.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:12:00 UTC | #181061

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 19 by thewhitepearl

EDIT: Brian C and Nentuaby maybe you should read the article that addressed the uses of Ad Hominem.

Can't wait to see this movie

aahh I'm sorry Mango you're right I looked at the wrong name...forgive me?

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:21:00 UTC | #181067

Mango's Avatar Comment 20 by Mango

thewhitepearl: kewl.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:25:00 UTC | #181072

aleprechaunist's Avatar Comment 21 by aleprechaunist

Nentuaby and BrianCarnell..

Surely there's no problem, provided the anti-religious arguments presented in this film don't rely on any of Maher's faulty medical ideas. I don't see any necessary or likely overlap...

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:40:00 UTC | #181092

Mango's Avatar Comment 22 by Mango

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:44:00 UTC | #181095

toddaa's Avatar Comment 23 by toddaa

The problem with defending Bill Maher is that he is not an advocate for reason. I'm sure the movie will be funny, but Maher denies germ theory. Completely. He belongs in the same category as Ken Ham. He's got a big podium on his HBO show to spew out all sorts of pseudo scientific nonsense and nobody challenges him on it because he's good at telling jokes about pedophile priests.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:14:00 UTC | #181120

aleprechaunist's Avatar Comment 24 by aleprechaunist

Sorry Mango, my mistake... post re-edited - that was a bit of indiscriminate cutting and pasting on my part...

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:17:00 UTC | #181123

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 25 by severalspeciesof

In Milwaukee there is a right wing radio talkshow host extremist named Mark Belling who pushed hard for the movie Expelled. He even said that because there would be a lot of bad reviews of the movie, that it would prove its' point. I just wonder if he'll even touch on this film, and if it turns out that critics like it, if He'll then pull the martyr complex card... "Us religious are being picked on by the big bad liberal media...Boo Hoo" Or he might just pan this one altogether, since he has no respect for Maher at all.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:23:00 UTC | #181124

lozzer's Avatar Comment 26 by lozzer

I like Maher but i wish he didn't support the terrorist organization PETA.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:36:00 UTC | #181136

briancarnell's Avatar Comment 27 by briancarnell

@12 ... I think toddaa @23 did a good job of expressing where I was going. The complaints about "ad hominem" seem a bit odd in that this is movie doesn't appear to be making a serious argument other than "lets laugh at the crazy religious people"...fronted by a man who himself is a fan of any number of pseudoscientific claims.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:46:00 UTC | #181140

Tosser's Avatar Comment 28 by Tosser

Let's make sure that this at least doubles the box office for Expelled.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:50:00 UTC | #181142

notsobad's Avatar Comment 29 by notsobad

I'm sure the movie will be funny, but Maher denies germ theory. Completely.

No, he doesn't.

This same claim was made in the last discussion about Maher and nobody presented any evidence to support it.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:50:00 UTC | #181143

xdrive's Avatar Comment 30 by xdrive

I'm only cautiously optimistic about this movie. Bill Maher's not the most objective or intelligent person in the world to be making documentaries about something as big as religion. Expect no earth-shattering revelations or insights with this one.

Then again it doesn't seem to be trying to be anything other than a cheap "religion is stupid, lol!" movie, which I guess has a place. Maybe this will raise consciousness enough to make people look into more serious surveys of modern religion and its implications. I'll give Maher a chance at any rate.

Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:55:00 UTC | #181146