← Divine Impulses: Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Divine Impulses: Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Comments

TheGreatBZ's Avatar Comment 1 by TheGreatBZ

This is rather depressing. I can't believe people believe these things.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:01:00 UTC | #182989

Thurston's Avatar Comment 2 by Thurston

Anyone who thinks atheists only rant and rage and are ignorant of the 'obvious' truths of religion should see these videos and read Ayaan's Infidel. What an inspiration she is!

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:18:00 UTC | #182991

maton100's Avatar Comment 3 by maton100

Nothing says "I love you" like the feel of rusty scissors.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:32:00 UTC | #182994

Fanusi Khiyal's Avatar Comment 4 by Fanusi Khiyal

Ayaan looks as though the relentless persecution is finally getting to her.

This is an absolute disgrace.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:41:00 UTC | #182995

Mike O'Risal's Avatar Comment 5 by Mike O'Risal

If folks are interested in keeping up with whats going on in the terrible world of FGM, please check out (and consider donating to) The Female Genital Cutting Education and Networking Project. The director (and not coincidentally my partner for quite a long time now) has spent years in research and organizing efforts in dealing with the problem of FGM in North Africa and elsewhere. She and a skeletal staff of volunteers have moved mountains in the effort to educate and legislate on this issue.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:47:00 UTC | #182996

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 6 by robotaholic

I'll say it again - MAN I DETEST RELIGION.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:55:00 UTC | #182998

MarcLindenberg's Avatar Comment 7 by MarcLindenberg

FGM is ever so terrible... The thought of it runs shivers up and down my spine...

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:59:00 UTC | #182999

Neuro's Avatar Comment 8 by Neuro

Rock on, Ayaan.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:02:00 UTC | #183000

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 9 by Steve Zara

omment #192611 by Mike O'Risal

Thanks for posting this Mike. I would like to point out this link:

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:12:00 UTC | #183002

shemp333's Avatar Comment 10 by shemp333

I love this woman. So soft spoken and polite, Yet firm in her convictions. She makes the world a better place and I'm grateful she's telling her story.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:58:00 UTC | #183010

adk's Avatar Comment 11 by adk

Wow she is such an incredible woman. So cool to see her and hear her after reading Infidel, I really look up to her.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:08:00 UTC | #183018

Chris Jackson's Avatar Comment 12 by Chris Jackson

Emotional, stirring and a rallying call for all those who still live under the divine delusion. It may sound like I'm "Sucking up" and that I'm ignoring Ayaan's Neo-con perspective (right now I am) but Her description of leaving Islam gives me hope for several friends who still live under the veil.

A short but effective video, especially the section about female circumcision ( a pet hate/ worry of mine) and the "Devil within her" guiding her atheistic development.

10/10

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:20:00 UTC | #183019

doubtingfoo's Avatar Comment 13 by doubtingfoo

I went out and bought her book tonight!

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:10:00 UTC | #183026

entheogensmurf's Avatar Comment 14 by entheogensmurf

It is inspiring to see such a person come from that world.
I have her book but there's still two other books in line before reading hers.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:25:00 UTC | #183028

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 15 by Rob Schneider

Chris Jackson,

Could you please relay one of Ayaan's "Neo-con perspectives." I don't mean for you to tell me she's affiliated with AEI.

Rather, please tell me a position that Ayaan has taken that is "neo-con" and provide quotation sources. I so fully agree with everything of hers that I have heard her say, or write, that I need to know if I'm either missing something she said, or if I'm a neo-con and just don't know it.

Thanks,
R.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:33:00 UTC | #183038

lastgreek's Avatar Comment 16 by lastgreek

There's more than meets the eye here, people.

From the economist.com , Feb. 8th, 2007:

SAY what you will about Ayaan Hirsi Ali, she fascinates. The Dutch-Somali politician, who has lived under armed guard ever since a fatwa was issued against her in 2004, is a chameleon of a woman. Just 11 years after she arrived in the Netherlands from Africa, she rode into parliament on a wave of anti-immigrant sentiment, only to leave again last year, this time for America, after an uproar over lies she had told to obtain asylum.

Even the title of her new autobiography reflects her talent for reinvention. In the Netherlands, where Ms Hirsi Ali got her start campaigning against the oppression of Muslim women, the book has been published under the title "My Freedom". But in Britain and in America, where she now has a fellowship at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, it is called "Infidel". In it, she recounts how she and her family made the cultural odyssey from nomadic to urban life in Africa and how she eventually made the jump to Europe and international celebrity as the world's most famous critic of Islam. …

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:57:00 UTC | #183065

wodecki's Avatar Comment 17 by wodecki

lastgreekstanding,

your apostrophe implies you think you know something we don't, but I'm having some difficulty guessing what it is. Could you please provide a little detail for my benefit? Thank you.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:31:00 UTC | #183085

Fanusi Khiyal's Avatar Comment 18 by Fanusi Khiyal

lastgreekstanding thank you for giving me another reason to detest The Economist. In the interests of justice, I will hope that you don't agree with that filth.

BeyondBelief the 'neocon' smear is used against anyone who has had it up to here with Islam, and doesn't tolerate what it keeps doing throughout the world. Here is a good video that explains it thoroughly:

The thing is that the contraction 'neo-con' gives an impression of suited, machiavellian, sinister figures, and nothing else. It's an Orwellian use of the word.

You see, once you've called someone a 'neocon', you've save yourself the bother of having to deal with what they have to say. They're neocons; why would you listen to them? This is why Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a neocon; save you from having to deal with the uncomfortable truths she raises.

We're all neocons, you know? All of us who see Islam for what it is, or even see a glimpse, we're all neocons: Sam Harris, Ali Sina, Ibn Warraq, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Walid Shoebat, Robert Spencer, Hugh FitzGerald, Geert Wilders, Pim Fortuyn.. Oh, the list goes on and on. That's what the Giant Citadels of Conscience of the Guardian and the BBC have decided, you know?

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:47:00 UTC | #183096

wodecki's Avatar Comment 19 by wodecki

Fanusi Khiyal, it's hard for me to see what brand of injustice was being committed by The Economist on that occasion. Can you elaborate, please? Thank you.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:05:00 UTC | #183109

Fanusi Khiyal's Avatar Comment 20 by Fanusi Khiyal

Wodecki, it's the presentation, the key omissions that drive my bloodpressure up:

Pay attention to these word: "rode into parliment on a wave of anti-immigrant sentiment"? Okay, first of all, I think we can all guess what kind of immigrant people were worried about.

Here is the real story:
Ayaan Hirsi Ali was elected to parliment because of her work attempting to secure the rights of Muslim women, and opposing such practices as forced marriage, who had previously been ignored, only to be chased out because she lied about her last name in order to escape a forced marriage herself

The implication behind that drivel the Economist is that Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a base opportunist, exploiting ignorant fears about 'immigrants', whereas what she really is is one of the bravest and most principled women of our time.

'Her capacity for reinvention'? This makes Ayaan appear like some showbiz celebrity. And what exactly is wrong with the book having different names in different languages? The CAged Virgin in Germany is called I will bring accusation (bear with me; German's a bit hard to translate), so how is this relevant?

This is a masterpiece of smearing.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:19:00 UTC | #183118

wodecki's Avatar Comment 21 by wodecki

Thank you, Fanusi Khiyal. I just wanted to have clear in my mind, the interpretation you were placing upon that rather tawdry piece of journalism. Personally, I didn't infer the ideas you did. Let's try to be careful here. "Rode into parliment on a wave of anti-immigrant sentiment" is perhaps an example of hackneyed, lazy writing but it doesn't neccesarily imply (let alone mean) that Ayan Hirsi Ali was cynically taking advantage of that "wave".

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:39:00 UTC | #183136

RamziD's Avatar Comment 22 by RamziD

Fanusi,

All religions should be exposed for the cruel, inhumane acts and thoughts they perpetuate. However, it's kind of hard to stomach criticism of one religion when it's coming from behind the pulpit of another, as in the case of Walid Shoebat. When you grant interviews to people like Pat Robertson and John Hagee, and hypocritically denounce nationalism in the name of one religion while supporting it in the name of another (i.e he's a supporter of jewish nationalism, while all nationalism in the name of religion should be denounced), then you lose a lot of credibility.

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:51:00 UTC | #183142

Fanusi Khiyal's Avatar Comment 23 by Fanusi Khiyal

RamizD I have made this point before, specifically in connection with those clips: I consider Shoebat's comments about the End of Days or Satanic inspiration of the Qur'an to be crackpot.

But that has no bearing whatsoever on his knowledge of Islam, or on the violence and tyranny that it preaches, or on the genocidal intentions of the palestinians that he observed.

My point in listing those names is this: a number of intelligent people, of the most varying political and philosophical and religious backgrounds and positions have all come to the same conclusion about Islam. Yet they're all slammed as 'neocons'. Who's being irrational here?

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 00:17:00 UTC | #183159

mmurray's Avatar Comment 24 by mmurray

Even the title of her new autobiography reflects her talent for reinvention.

WTF ? Is she the first writer to change the name of a book or have it changed by her publisher to suit different markets? Was JK Rowling showing her talent for reinvention when her American publisher changed Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone ?

As for the neocon thing I agree with beyondbelief -- I have never heard her say anything particularly right wing. She is being paid by AEI. They wouldn't be my first choice of employer but I have the luxury of not being likely to end up with a knife in my chest when I go out in public. In any case removing religion from the world is not going to remove the dispute between the left and right of politics.

She gets my money.

Michael

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 01:23:00 UTC | #183182

AfraidToDie's Avatar Comment 25 by AfraidToDie

Without knowing much about Ayaan, other than watching several videos and reading various posts on RDW over that last year or so, it appears her message is one of enlightenment. Being anti-Islam (and atheist) does not alone make her a right wing neo-con, or else we'd all share that label. Her message could not be more clear.

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:06:00 UTC | #183217

Logicel's Avatar Comment 26 by Logicel

Fanusi, yes, I remember that Economist coverage vividly even though it was published about 16 months ago.

It was almost as silly as another numbskull mouthing off why the price of gold is rising. But, all in all, the level of writing/reporting is superb in The Economist and I read it every week, the only print media that I do. It has in general a lively and talented bunch of writers who are not allowed to have by-lines. If they did, I would avoid anything written by the idiot who penned that slippery, slimy, vapid, useless article on Ayaan.

Ayaan is a neoCon--haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, and I am an goose with golden-egg laying skills.

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:21:00 UTC | #183220

mmurray's Avatar Comment 27 by mmurray

What many people here don't like (if previous AHA threads are anything to go by) is her job at the American Enterprise Institute.

Michael

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:36:00 UTC | #183243

Zoron's Avatar Comment 28 by Zoron

Wow, that islam is completely insane!

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 05:38:00 UTC | #183259

RamziD's Avatar Comment 29 by RamziD

Fanusi,

Ok, but isn't there something to be said about credibility? I mean, calling out another religion for all the harms its done yet espousing radical views of another religion is prime hypocrisy. There are definitely ulterior motives to his speaking out against islam. You still have to think about how someone comes to their conclusions. Listening to one of those videos on YouTube, he actually claims that there has never been a rape of a Palestinian woman by an Israeli soldier. How delusional does one have to be to claim that after 40 years of military occupation that certain injustice has never been committed? Shoebat is neither intelligent nor rational.

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:15:00 UTC | #183362

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 30 by thewhitepearl

She is such a miraculous and brave woman.

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:13:00 UTC | #183462