← Richard Dawkins on Doctor Who

Richard Dawkins on Doctor Who - Comments

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 1 by HourglassMemory

That's pretty authentic! Dawkins did a good job!
I wonder how it was to film it...

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:41:00 UTC | #190901

gobbles's Avatar Comment 2 by gobbles

as good as this is,
isn't it odd that when thee earth is mysteriously moved across space that they ask advice from a biologist? unless richard plays the role of an astronomer that is

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:47:00 UTC | #190904

KrisRamJ's Avatar Comment 3 by KrisRamJ

Ever the voice of reason, even in science fiction!

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:50:00 UTC | #190906

LaTomate's Avatar Comment 4 by LaTomate

I saw the episode, and was pleasantly surprised!! I wasn't expecting to see the professor on there.

Nice one :)

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:07:00 UTC | #190909

Isaksson's Avatar Comment 5 by Isaksson

I just like to say, that Dr. Who is actually turning out to be a farily good TV-series. Oh, and Mr Dawkins.. nicely done indeed.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:09:00 UTC | #190910

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 6 by helen sotiriadis

theists (think they) go to heaven -- richard dawkins goes everywhere.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:11:00 UTC | #190911

evirus's Avatar Comment 7 by evirus

I'm literally watching it right now, paused it went to this site, big surprise!

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:16:00 UTC | #190912

MarbleMad's Avatar Comment 8 by MarbleMad

>isn't it odd that when thee earth is mysteriously >moved across space that they ask advice from a >biologist?

I'm guessing the daleks exterminated all the astronomer first for fear they figure out what was going on. Poor Patrick Moore :(

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:35:00 UTC | #190918

theIdiot's Avatar Comment 10 by theIdiot

Dawkins may be a brilliant scientist, but he sure is an awful actor.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:54:00 UTC | #190922

Dean's Avatar Comment 9 by Dean

He was probably required to counter religious explanations for the moving of the Earth.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:54:00 UTC | #190921

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 11 by Stephen Maxwell

Haha, theIdiot. I beg to differ! I refer you to this piece of award-worthy footage:

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:08:00 UTC | #190923

theIdiot's Avatar Comment 12 by theIdiot

Ah, ok he was little better in that video, but he's pretty bad in Dr. Who! Thats was a tomato tossing performance.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:15:00 UTC | #190924

dragonfirematrix's Avatar Comment 13 by dragonfirematrix

Yes, we do travel through space, and like as we traveling in our cars around the country, we find all kinds of new stuff, so lets get out there, find it, learn it, and teach the truth.

THERE IS NO GOD!

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:19:00 UTC | #190925

Stephen Maxwell's Avatar Comment 14 by Stephen Maxwell

Well, I don't know how intentional it was. The newscaster seemed pretty bad too. It seemed deliberately over the top and camp. :P

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:21:00 UTC | #190927

Laith's Avatar Comment 15 by Laith

Here is a youtube copy of the video:

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:27:00 UTC | #190929

ruddystargazer's Avatar Comment 16 by ruddystargazer

Just when I thought he couldn't get any cooler...well, there he goes! ^_^

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:13:00 UTC | #190936

Atticus_of_Amber's Avatar Comment 17 by Atticus_of_Amber

I don't know why people are saying RD's "acting' was "bad" here.

It seems to me he wasn't "acting" at all. He seemed to me to behave exactly as I would expect him to if the events portrayed had really happened: he looked at the evidence, saw where it takes him, and then get got little annoyed at people who refused to accept the obvious conclusions. A pure, genuine Dawkins reaction, as far as I can tell.

Bravo I say.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:33:00 UTC | #190941

Veon's Avatar Comment 18 by Veon

Surely Richard would be the first to go to as he holds the chair for the public understanding of science.

EDIT: And for those complaining about the acting. Watch a few episodes of Dr. Who and you'll see that the clip is in keeping with the style of the show.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:52:00 UTC | #190943

oriole's Avatar Comment 19 by oriole

I thought Richard's acting was spot on. He was speaking in a didactic, professorial style, exactly as he would have done if an interviewer had asked him, say, to respond to Behe. This wasn't true dialogue - he was playing the role of a professor making a public statement.

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:55:00 UTC | #190945

Thor's Avatar Comment 20 by Thor

@Stephen Maxwell:

not only Dawkins and the anchor. From what I have seen so far (about 2 episodes of Dr. Who - I am not from the Anglosphere so I wasn't familar with the show until recently) the whole show and all the actors seem "deliberately over the top and camp".

It's not necessarily atrocious, but I don't quite get what people find so appealing about Doctor Who. It exudes has the atmosphere and feeling of some trashy sixties sci-fi series - bad costumes, absurd plot, ham-fisted acting - which is apparently when the show was originally developed, so no surprise there.

Just a matter of individual tast, I guess...

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:08:00 UTC | #190948

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 21 by robotaholic

oh I want Richard Dawkins to star in a movie reply to Expelled! - it would kick ass

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:25:00 UTC | #190950

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 22 by Roy_H

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:12:00 UTC | #190956

Barry Pearson's Avatar Comment 23 by Barry Pearson

#201066 by Roy_H: Perhaps they asked a real astronomer such as Patrick Moore or Heather Couper but they would not do it!
Hm! Normally people queue up to get into Doctor Who.

(They always claim "my children would never forgive me if I passed up the chance").

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:09:00 UTC | #190961

suffolkthinker's Avatar Comment 24 by suffolkthinker

I thought it was a fun insert and typical of the programme. As for those who wonder why him: perhaps the fact his wife played a former companion to the Doctor has something to do with it? I seem to remember they were introduced by Douglas Adams who had also worked on the show and knew Layla from it. Sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong there.

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:28:00 UTC | #190973

JazzX's Avatar Comment 25 by JazzX

I think his bad acting is a good thing - it means his on-stage persona is exactly like he is. He really does believe what he's saying, it's not just an act as some uncomplimentary theists are claiming.

I just liked the way they made him state as "empirical fact" that the Earth had moved.

This is probably what the real Dawkins would have said in such circumstances:

"well - I'm a biologist, so this isn't really my field, but the evidence we have .. (and indeed most of the astronomers and physicists I've talked to say this)...shows that the constellations are completely different, yet consistent with the stars relative distance from each other. We've moved to another location in the universe and it's the business of science to find out how and why that has happened. But if you want more detail than that you'll have to ask a physicist or an astronomer ... sorry to be so vague.."

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:37:00 UTC | #190974

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 26 by mordacious1

I'm sure they wanted someone that everyone would recognize as a real scientist. They could have put a cosmologist in the spot, and it would've made more sense, but not be as funny.

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:40:00 UTC | #190975

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 27 by Enlightenme..

^^JazzX: "This is probably what the real Dawkins would have said in such circumstances"...

I said it in my mind in Richard's voice, and it sounded spot on, well done jazzx.

[off-topic]Whoa, its just come on the news, we now have a new CofE (with reinvigorated gayhate) announced today.
Perhaps I should consider joining as I was christened, and I've always fancied owning a couple of slaves.

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:31:00 UTC | #190981

Jamie Walton's Avatar Comment 28 by Jamie Walton

I'm not a regular watcher of Dr who, The last time I watched it was to see Kylie in a maids outfit a few months ago.

Anyway, Richards appearence was terrific, The acting was fine. From that reading I believed it was the 50ith time that day he had been asked the same damn question by some TV interviewer and he's sick of explaining it. Much like he know reacts when asked about Stalin and Hitler. Good job.

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:45:00 UTC | #190983

Billy Sands's Avatar Comment 29 by Billy Sands

Was nice to see Richard on Dr Who last night. I wonder if David Robertson has asked for his autograph yet.

I wonder why they have not made DR a villan on the series. Perhaps his inanity and desire to lead and assimilate everyone into his evil cult is too OTT and unbelievable for a programe that made a vilan out of liquorice allsorts.

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:26:00 UTC | #190990

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 30 by Matt H.

I would have thought the event of Earth moving across space would demand input from an astronomer or physicist, not a biologist (though an excellent biologist he is all the same).

Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:31:00 UTC | #190992