← When too much Rapture is barely enough

When too much Rapture is barely enough - Comments

sane1's Avatar Comment 1 by sane1

HA! Heaven Shmeaven!

Sam - Please please keep up the good work.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:09:00 UTC | #194238

geehigh's Avatar Comment 2 by geehigh

"formerly called 'Babble'"!?

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:16:00 UTC | #194239

William1w1's Avatar Comment 3 by William1w1

Harris is completely right. Anyone who holds convictions like the man in the video should most certainly not be involved in politics. I'm glad I live in Canada where it isn't quite so bad.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:25:00 UTC | #194240

mewletter's Avatar Comment 4 by mewletter

I had suddenly recalled some of vivid horrors from a few sci-fi stories that involved religion... like Scott Adam's The Religion War.(Is that considered Sci-fi?)

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:32:00 UTC | #194242

lordxenu's Avatar Comment 5 by lordxenu

So the virgin male jews get into heaven....i guess the virgin women and children are fucked

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:33:00 UTC | #194244

CruciFiction's Avatar Comment 6 by CruciFiction

This is video extracted from the extended interviews section of Brian Flemming's 2005 documentary, "The God Who Wasn't There".

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:44:00 UTC | #194248

rydrum2112's Avatar Comment 7 by rydrum2112

Anyone else think its funny he said "unfortunately" other people will be allowed into heaven that weren't raptured? Guess he doesn't like people sharing his reward of heaven with him.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:59:00 UTC | #194256

Rational_G's Avatar Comment 8 by Rational_G

More evidence that we all have to keep on fighting the fight against ignorance and superstition.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:00:00 UTC | #194258

catskill's Avatar Comment 9 by catskill

Did I hear that correctly? 144,000 male virgin Jews get raptured? The rest lose their heads or something? So how does this guy think he is going to be raptured if he is not a male virgin Jew?

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:25:00 UTC | #194264

VV111y's Avatar Comment 10 by VV111y

#5 lordxenu,

.....no. No, they are not fucked.

I registered my account here just so I could make that crack. I couldn't resist.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:30:00 UTC | #194265

flobear's Avatar Comment 11 by flobear

How did our species make it this far?

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:33:00 UTC | #194266

Phil T's Avatar Comment 13 by Phil T

Mental illness... Nothing more, nothing less.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:43:00 UTC | #194268

MorituriMax's Avatar Comment 12 by MorituriMax

Why does it even matter when it happens? They're all going to Heaven when they die anyway, right?

Is this guy insane? At the end he says, "Unfortunately a bunch of people are going to Heaven after the Rapture by losing their heads." Oh and some Jews, ick ick, too.

So he thinks it's a BAD thing if more people go to Heaven once he's up there, almost like he thinks he's less wonderful if other people "make the cut"?

Also, people have been going to Heaven (according to Christians) by just dying of regular methods like old age, disease, accidents, criminal violence for, oh, thousands of years.. why he thinks he is somehow special because he has found one more way to go that doesn't hurt, wah wah, is beyond me..

I really think this guy is clinically insane, holy shit he scares me more than the Taliban.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:43:00 UTC | #194267

Eamonn Shute's Avatar Comment 14 by Eamonn Shute

The link does not appear with Firefox (but it does with IE).

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:55:00 UTC | #194272

madame_zora's Avatar Comment 15 by madame_zora

It's both embarrassing and horrifying to know that so many people have so little regard for reality. Of course, why hold this nut accountable when jesus himself believed the rapture would come in the lifetimes of his followers. That generation after generation has fallen for this garbage AND ALL BEEN WRONG seems to have escaped everyone's understanding.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:04:00 UTC | #194274

yyuryyub's Avatar Comment 17 by yyuryyub

Carl Sagan's masterpiece (Cosmos) is on Australian cable tv as i browse this. It makes me desperately sad that these are still considered arguments in 2008. long live reality! long live cosmos

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:13:00 UTC | #194278

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 16 by D'Arcy

Dear oh dear! This Christian (male Jewish virgin?) is seriously deluded. He appears to have already lost his head well before the rapture.

The best "Rapture" was of course the one done by Blondie. (The man from Mars that eats guitars).

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:13:00 UTC | #194277

GBile's Avatar Comment 18 by GBile

If this guy would have said 'Walhalla' in stead of 'Heaven', he might not have been loose anymore.

The funny thing about the rapture stories is that 144.000 (no more no less) of the tribes of the Israelites are going to be raptured. So an average believer from Smalville Kansas should not have a chance. But wait a minute, couldn't he be a honorary Israelite from that mysterious tribe that showed up in the midwest, long before Columbus learned how to sail a boat? The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Recently a group of palestinians in Gaza continued firing rocket into Israel, despite the truce, on the basis of their conviction that they must force Islam on all mankind.

What was the uplifting value of religion again ?

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:16:00 UTC | #194279

Logicel's Avatar Comment 19 by Logicel

My visceral reading of the rapture guy is one of a very frightened dude, anxiety rippling just under the surface, barely concealed by his idiotic smugness.

And you pious parasites (like David Robertson), this insanity is in part due to your insisting that religious faith (since you pious parasites always know that your faith is the true one, therefore only good can come out of it) is virtuous. Gaze upon your handiwork, you pious parasites (and their pathetic apologists). This is the work you have really accomplished in your lifetime, by simply giving credence to non-evidential faith.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:21:00 UTC | #194281

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 20 by TIKI AL

If the rapture was really coming, Walmart would be selling ascension robes like hotcakes.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:22:00 UTC | #194282

the way's Avatar Comment 21 by the way

Although I have not seen this clip (old/slow computer)....That is exactly what I read into txpiper's posts as well.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:32:00 UTC | #194289

AoClay's Avatar Comment 22 by AoClay

I really wish Harris would show himself more often. He's a very clear speaker and I don't see him enough.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:33:00 UTC | #194290

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 23 by robotaholic

These people are insane -

Their minds don't process information properly -

You can tell that the brains of the really religious have been short-circuited -

It almost reminds me of an RPG that people take way too seriously lol

There is almost no convincing someone like that -they really have to convince themselves that it's all fiction-

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:44:00 UTC | #194292

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 24 by thewhitepearl

I used to be terrifed of the concept of the rapture. It's often used as a scare tactic. "Better make sure your life is together, because jesus is going to come like a thief in the night and snatch up all his TRUE followers. One minute your going to be there and the next minute, you'll hear the sound of a trumpet and in the blink of an eye you are going to be whizzing through the sky. You dont want to be one of those left behind" (etc..etc..)

scared the you know what out of me growing up. Prob more than the concept of hell actually. It caused a lot of pressure to make sure you were living biblically 24-7, lest you might be left behind to suffer through the tribulation.

EDIT: Uhhhhh so who is responsible for sending out the rapture letters?

Babrock, It hasn't ended. People still believe in this. For some christians it's a matter of whether it is pre, mid, or post tribulation. I was just visiting my grandparents on Weds and my younger brother was also there. My grandfather was quizzing him about the bible and talking about the rapture. He wanted my brother to understand the "proofs" of why the rapture would be Pre-Trib.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:56:00 UTC | #194299

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 25 by Quetzalcoatl

I'm sorry, but that guy is an absolute freak of nature. I would laugh, except that I'm too disconcerted because he so obviously believes what he is saying.

Rapture-thinking always strikes me as being very nihilistic. So much for the religious claiming that atheism leads to nihilism.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:03:00 UTC | #194300

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 26 by the great teapot

Funny thing is, I have lived now for 43 years and until a year a go I thought rapture was a dinosaur in jurrasic park. Now it would seem it is the american dream. How times change.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:04:00 UTC | #194301

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 27 by TIKI AL

"I used to be terrifed of the concept of the rapture." (thewhitepearl)

When I was three I was saying THIS gem before beddy bye:

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

When I turned five I called "bullshit" and gave my Mother a lecture on child abuse.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:14:00 UTC | #194303

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 28 by thewhitepearl

TIKI AL,

When I was five I was being pressured to "speak in tongues" while praying before bedtime.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:17:00 UTC | #194304

William Carlton's Avatar Comment 29 by William Carlton

I think I should like to launch an insurance company which collects premiums for a policy paid out to loved ones "left behind" in the event of the Rapture. The funds would be intended for Biblical study and other vital post-Rapture, Tribulation survival necessities.

I really do think this is a business opportunity. I am not kidding.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:18:00 UTC | #194306

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 30 by Quetzalcoatl

William Carlton-

depressingly, you're probably right. Throw in some tailored post-Rapture Bibles and some "So you've left behind" communion wafers and you're in business.

Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:31:00 UTC | #194309