← Q&A with Richard Dawkins after lecture at UC Berkeley

Q&A with Richard Dawkins after lecture at UC Berkeley - Comments

Neuro's Avatar Comment 1 by Neuro

Thanks for posting!

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:35:00 UTC | #220880

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 2 by HappyPrimate

I too would like to say thanks for the posting. The question about Francis Collins was very surprising as I didn't believe he would tell an out right lie about RD. FC has really hit bottom.

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:44:00 UTC | #220885

Filip's Avatar Comment 3 by Filip

I have seen that the last part of "The Genius of Darwin" and the discussion between David Buss and Richard Dawkins have been posted on youtube,they`re absolutely wonderful.

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:17:00 UTC | #220893

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 4 by SaintStephen

I didn't know the views of Francis Collins, so I used Wikipedia to get a rough idea. His "BioLogos" propositions seem a little strange, coming from a genetic scientist, but they are also completely unremarkable -- and unprovable.

Among other things, he believes the Universe came into being from "nothingness." I'd like to see his scientific evidence for this hypothesis. He also believes that God lies "outside" of the Universe. Once again, just pure whimsy.

Collins is obviously struggling with these questions, possibly due to personal, non-scientific reasons. Richard Dawkins, on the other hand, who has apparently debated him on these matters, is content to continually and consistently employ the scientific method in his approach.

This is why Dawkins continues to make progress in his quest for truth.

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:16:00 UTC | #220943

Thimoteus's Avatar Comment 5 by Thimoteus

I was one of those "hopeful attendees;" I showed up half an hour early but it wasn't early enough (by far). I also had tickets to see him in Stanford the next day, but I went to sleep at 6 AM and overslept :O

Needless to say I was very sad I didn't get to see him in person when I had two opportunities :(

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:22:00 UTC | #220963

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 6 by Eventhorizon

DAWKINS STRIKES AGAIN...

"...either god is simple, in which case he isn't worth worshiping or he is complexed and doesnt exist"

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:45:00 UTC | #221070

isthatclear's Avatar Comment 7 by isthatclear

LECTURE AT THE REASON UNIVERSITY to Mr Dawkins.

A lecture vs another lecture.

The atheists often use the science as if science has proved the ET(not movie, it is Evolution Theory) that it was right. So they need the science as a curtain to cover the illogical foundation in ET.

Home schooling is not bad because, at home, kids learn that they did not come from a worm.
Anyway except high school shootings the schools are free from ET.

Child farm is a very scary idea of an atheist mind. Thank God. We have just a few atheists all over the world.

Playing with children' pictures and being funny is not enough to prove that we came from the planets. Let's have fun indeed.

Indoctrinate the children or being outsmarted by them?

Junior 1: what are you doing here?
Junior 2: I am waiting my water worm to be A FROG..
Junior 1: Are you nuts? You got to CATCH it yourself.
Junior 2: No! Mr Dawkins told me that I have to wait for the evolution to make it a frog..
Junior 1: Did he say "how long you will have to wait for?
Junior 2: No?
Junior 1: I am kidding. Just leave it. Let's go to the movies.
Junior 2: But he will be angry if I don't tell the result?
Junior 1: Okay come with me. (he catches a frog) there you go it is done.
Junior 2: Let me take it to him.

Junior 2: Mr dawkins, it is done. You are right. Evolution is a fact.
Dawkins (stomping on his feet) I knew it. I was right. I give you A plus. Good boy.
Junior 2. Thank you Mr dawkins.

Junior 1: How did it go?
Junior 2: Perfect. I got an A plus.
Junior 1: Everybody did the same in class. They caught it but they said, evolution did it. Let's go to the movies.
Junior 2: Which movie is on?
Junior 1: Ben Stein.

Who killed the asteroids? Evolution of course. Sorry natural selection, but they were so strong and should be survived. May be selfish genes But Genes are selfish and they raised the consciousness, then, they are so small. Oh god I am confused now, may be I can check the evolution tree. But last time I came in, I could not go out.

Should we be offended as reasonable and scientific people when somebody says we came from a worm?

Raise consciousness. Google the truth

In your lecture, you clamed that only eight believers but anyone who can google can find the SCIENTIFIC TRUTH, an objective one. So why are you lying? Will it help to prove that we came from the worm? The same distortion is for the population of the atheists in the states. Prove me if I am wrong.

The believers who received Noble prizes.

Atheists and agnostics comprise 12% of adults nationwide (in the states). (2004)

Quoted from:
In respect to the atheist population of the world, there have been many studies in regards to the atheist demographics and in regards to the percentage of atheists in various geographic areas. In regards to the atheist population as a percentage of various countries' populations, specific research on atheists conducted in 2006 suggests that the true proportion of atheists is 4% in the United States, 17% in Great Britain and 32% in France. A survey published in the 2005 Encyclopedia Britannica stated that 2.3% of the world's population consists of individuals who profess "atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious."[1] In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic.[2][3]

Quoted from:

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:34:00 UTC | #221119

isthatclear's Avatar Comment 8 by isthatclear

Questions and Answers

Student: Dear Professor Reason, Mr dawkins says, how God can hear all the prayers of 6 billion people?

Professor Reason: People talk as much as they believe. Let me tell you an analogy. You just enter a very big palace. The palace is protected very well. Heater, lights, food, fruits, water and even communication are perfect. When people talk, they can communicate through air particulars. You just thought that the designer should be very knowledgeable. While you are thinking that way, one guy in the corner, stomping on his feet, screaming "the palace has no designer. No design in this palace. Means of coincidences, selfish genes, menotthinking, bllindwatchmaker, Boeing 747 is built by itself, "along with two old men; one keeps repeating not enough evidence and the one keep looking at the mirror, at his eye by saying " I am genius, I have to think of some stories about the eye."

Our earth is like a big palace with its atmosphere, seven layer shield, lights like stars and moon, heater like sun which is located at perfect distance, not to close not too far away, factory like soil, in a piece of soil, you can grow countless fruits and vegetables, trees like a servant like branches give us different fruits, people can communicate by means of telephone through air particulars. Now If one says the designer have the system as well that He can hear all the residences' requests, is it really difficult to believe it? Is it really difficult to believe that Designer who designed the entire palace like earth cannot hear us anytime?

Even today, in the space or on the earth, human beings can have the equipment to track down the conversations and watch the people from the space, again using the air particulars' help.

No need to say that guy who screams is Mr Dawkins and atheists.

Student: Dear Professor Reason, Mr dawkins says, Genes are selfish so they can adapt etc, what do you say?
Professor Reason: Selfish genes are really one of the funny ideas of ET. To me, selfish are not genes but GENIES who can do anything , but it just happens in fairy stories. Today scientifically, there is no such a thing that is proved. And there is no scientific person to accept this funny story except the horse man and their followers.

Student: Dear Professor Reason, Mr dawkins says, If God is complex, then, it does not exist.

Professor Reason: He is playing WITH the words; Let me PLAY THE WORDS.

If someone is standing behind an idea like ET, check the evolution tree, he should not mention the complex things. God's design is in harmony and design. Look at the universe! Can you find any fault or imperfection.

Evolution is not even complex. Because complex things require logic and reason and since ET does not have them, thus it can be called just a fairy story with genies.

No need to applause. Thank you. Truth does not need to be applaused.

For your information, a friend of mine at the Berkeley just told me that there was nobody in line outside for "no show tickets" at last minute. Confirm it please.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:39:00 UTC | #221123

Vaal's Avatar Comment 9 by Vaal

8. Comment #233619 by isthatclear

Who killed the asteroids?

Ah Wooter, can you be any madder? Do you actually know what an asteroid is? So your knowledge of Astronomy is almost as non-existent as your knowledge of evolution. Still, you have caused my first laugh of the morning!

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:41:00 UTC | #221124

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 10 by rod-the-farmer

Oh boy. isthatclear gets worse every time. Perhaps his condition is worsening. May I be so bold as to suggest you seek medical help ? Tell your doctor that a number of people who have heard you speak or read your writings think you may require assessment by trained personnel.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:51:00 UTC | #221128

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 11 by Quetzalcoatl

Who killed the asteroids?

Galactus had them as a snack.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:59:00 UTC | #221130

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 12 by Steve Zara

Who killed the asteroids?

You can get some very effective cream for those.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:07:00 UTC | #221133

Billy Sands's Avatar Comment 13 by Billy Sands

Isthatatwat

Just to let you know, I didnt read the congealed rantings of your cerebral enema.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:09:00 UTC | #221136

notsobad's Avatar Comment 14 by notsobad

isthatclear,
you forgot to take your medicine, from the beginning.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:11:00 UTC | #221137

catskill's Avatar Comment 15 by catskill

I see that someone has posted this on YouTube if that is easier for you. Good quality too.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:13:00 UTC | #221138

forksmuggler's Avatar Comment 16 by forksmuggler

I like to imagine isthatclear is actually a strident rationalist merely posing as a creationist ignoramus simply as parody. Sort of like a Stephen Colbert thing. Or he's just a complete loon. Either way, I lol'ed!

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:40:00 UTC | #221165

root2squared's Avatar Comment 17 by root2squared

isthatclear

Listen! The telephone is ringing. It's god calling. Now go and speak with him. Now go! Go away.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:42:00 UTC | #221167

forksmuggler's Avatar Comment 18 by forksmuggler

Heavens, no! Don't send him away. He's doing our job for us--exposing creationist ignorance--and doing it quite well.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:48:00 UTC | #221171

SK1988's Avatar Comment 19 by SK1988

Isthatclear, you have got to be kidding, right?! Frankly, what an unintelligible, uninformed, unbelievably nonsensical piece of rubbish. "Who killed the asteroids?" Goodness me!

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:01:00 UTC | #221175

kaiser's Avatar Comment 20 by kaiser

Did anyone look at his link to scientists who believe in (a) god? http://www.adherents.com/people/100_Nobel.html

I mean, that list is huge and includes names like:
Charles Darwin
Albert Einstein
René Descartes
Jean-Paul Sartre
Voltaire
David Hume
Spinoza
Giordano Bruno (who was btw. murdered by the catholic church)

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:07:00 UTC | #221177

popecorkyxxiv's Avatar Comment 21 by popecorkyxxiv

After reading Isthatclear's nonsensical rant all I can say is this, "We are going to win". If this kind of garbage and 'proof' is all the thiest have to go one we've already won. Reality bites, that's, well reality and the theists can try and deny it all they want, but slowly and surely science and knowledge are closing the gaps in which God lives, and at last we will truly understand the wonder and spectacle of a objective reality.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:24:00 UTC | #221179

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 22 by phasmagigas

isthatclear.

Acid, speed or both??

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:04:00 UTC | #221186

Freethinker15's Avatar Comment 23 by Freethinker15

I have just read the two posts by isthatclear. Whilst I do enjoy reading another viewpoint I am staggered at the irony and the incomprehensible content.

Isthatclear has obviously learnt all the evolutionary jargon, but has no idea how to put it together in a meaningful way.

To sum up, that is certainly not clear.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:30:00 UTC | #221199

Aztek's Avatar Comment 24 by Aztek

I have clearly missed someting because I've never read anything by isthatclear before.

It was quite entertaining, though. I began reading it and was expecting a punch line at the end. When there wasn't one I realized the whole text was the punch line. I laughed out loud. It was like written by a 5-year-old high on LSD.

Keep it coming. Because of texts like these we don't have to make religious people look ridiculous, they do it themselves.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:54:00 UTC | #221212

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 25 by Peacebeuponme

Aztek

Keep it coming.
wooter/clearmind/isthatclear has been posting and posting here for an inordinate length of time now. It has gone beyond a joke. We really want him to stop.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:01:00 UTC | #221214

AllanW's Avatar Comment 26 by AllanW

For the sake of clarity;

We believe that isthatclear (I love someones mangling of that to 'isthatatwat' btw) is the latest in the line of sock-puppets for a character alternately named wooter and clearmind. Look up those other logins and see if you think so too.

After their first appearance on this site about ten months ago, we spent a few weeks getting to know and recognise them but thereafter they just provide high comedic entertainment for newcomers to the site and casual readers alike. No-one can quite believe the poster is not playing a joke but we honestly don't think they are; they really are that ignorant and proud of it.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:10:00 UTC | #221219

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 27 by Jay Cee

isthatclear

Your posts are totally incomprehensible, I won't bother reading them in the future.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:14:00 UTC | #221220

Richard Feldmann's Avatar Comment 28 by Richard Feldmann

Attempting to read isthatclear's posts was almost impossible. I stopped after a few lines. If you want to be able to put forth a valid argument, isthatclear/wooter/clearmind, then you need to learn how to use the English language, is that clear?

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:46:00 UTC | #221231

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 29 by phasmagigas

looks like isthatclears posts have vanished!!

must not have a lot of confidence in his/her view.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:26:00 UTC | #221416

Pathfinder's Avatar Comment 30 by Pathfinder

Whilst I would agree isnthatclear's posts are an affirmation of incompetence pushed to the level of dogma I still have problems with her/his comments being moved to the "alternate" (ie, imbeciles) thread. Play fair, atheists doomed to hellfire!

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:28:00 UTC | #221418