← Bill Maher on Religion

Bill Maher on Religion - Comments

paulwwww's Avatar Comment 1 by paulwwww

Guess I couldn't help but notice no one else has posted yet, guess third shift has some small advantages. Anyways, I can't wait to watch this movie. We need more like Bill Maher here in the great USA!!!

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:46:00 UTC | #220953

Quine's Avatar Comment 2 by Quine

<!-- Be sure tags are closed -->

... we're out of a job.
Right on the nose.

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:31:00 UTC | #220968

Pyrion's Avatar Comment 3 by Pyrion

Too bad that the video stopped before the end. Bill is doing great.

Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:56:00 UTC | #220975

NoGoggleCitizen's Avatar Comment 4 by NoGoggleCitizen

Is Larry King's titles operator passive-aggressively undermining Bill Mahr's message? It seems they picked out the least articulate part of Bill's early comments ("It's mainly about getting your butt saved..."), and then ran with the hypothetical "Is Nothing Sacred?" for the remainder of the video. Or, perhaps I've got some sort of subconscious expectation bias going on! Anyway, great clip.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:04:00 UTC | #220978

Wosret's Avatar Comment 5 by Wosret

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:05:00 UTC | #220980

Atticus_of_Amber's Avatar Comment 6 by Atticus_of_Amber

Mitchell Gilks: "I know what's going to happen when I die. The universe will implode, because it surely can't go on without me."

I can't remember who it was who said: "It isn't me, but the world, that will end with I die." In a one-hand-clapping sense, that's true.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:19:00 UTC | #220987

AdrianB's Avatar Comment 7 by AdrianB

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:45:00 UTC | #221043

carlcamper's Avatar Comment 8 by carlcamper

@AdrianB

That's only the middle of part 1, here are all the versions:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:35:00 UTC | #221065

FreeThink25's Avatar Comment 9 by FreeThink25

I hope the Maher-haters noticed that he said GERM. Can we finally put to rest the notion that Bill Maher denies the Germ Theory of Disease?

I have never seen Bill so articulate and intellectually appealing. Bravo to him....

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 03:18:00 UTC | #221089

Mark R's Avatar Comment 10 by Mark R

Bill finishes this clip with a great line comparing god and the devil to comic books heros and villians. Very true, and Bill i will be using this line as well

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:37:00 UTC | #221121

neander's Avatar Comment 11 by neander

Nice and solid. Its good to know there are some intelligent views being put that might reach a broader public.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:02:00 UTC | #221132

Shaden's Avatar Comment 12 by Shaden

"You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate."

Pretty honest answer there.

I wanted to see Religulous that was showing at the local film festival, but it was instantly sold out :(

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:09:00 UTC | #221135

popecorkyxxiv's Avatar Comment 13 by popecorkyxxiv

I cannot wait for this movie, with luck it will annihilate the Ben Stien farce "Expelled". All Maher has to do to win that fight is not say anything stupid, like beleiving in evolution means you support the Holocaust. I think it will help the atheist cause alot, afterall there is no power more capable of changing peoples minds than laughter and comedy, just ask John Stewart and Stephen Corbert.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:29:00 UTC | #221163

PrimeNumbers's Avatar Comment 14 by PrimeNumbers

Bill Maher makes me laugh, but he also comes across very well. Can't wait to see this movie!

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:47:00 UTC | #221169

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 15 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

Folks, there is a new article and survey on msnbc about Mr. Newdow. It would be advantageous for all to vote in their survey.

Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103424/

Survey: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:57:00 UTC | #221174

SteveN's Avatar Comment 16 by SteveN

HandyGeek wrote:

Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103424/

Survey: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

As much as I love participating in PZ Myers' 'poll crashing' escapades, I don't think that even the combined might of Pharyngula and RD.net can do much against this poll (which has been running since 2005, by the way): the faithfull have a 70:30 lead with almost 5 million (!!!!) votes cast. Actually, I suspect some pretty frantic poll crashing activity by christian groups is going on here.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:32:00 UTC | #221180

ridelo's Avatar Comment 17 by ridelo

Will this film also be distributed outside the USA and the UK?

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:59:00 UTC | #221184

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 18 by HourglassMemory

17.
I certainly hope so.
I can't wait for the film either. If it doesn't come out in my country(sickly catholic) I'll have to get it by other means.

I hope the film opens doors for other films like this one to come out.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:44:00 UTC | #221207

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 19 by Dr. Strangegod

Dude, HandyGeek, we just crashed this poll last week. See:

Or just slide down the articles sidebar to August 14th. In fact, we are responsible for the 30% rating, up from I think an original 9%.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:46:00 UTC | #221209

Lenny's Avatar Comment 20 by Lenny

What was with the "atheism is a religion" comment?

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:53:00 UTC | #221211

Isherwood's Avatar Comment 21 by Isherwood

Agreed, Lenny. I was so thrilled with his interview that I was ready to stand up and cheer.

Then he proclaimed that atheists are "certain there is no god". That turned my stomach. I'd think of anyone, he would have a better definition of atheism.

Still, bravo, and kudos to Mr. King for a fair and interesting interview.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:06:00 UTC | #221215

Mark Till's Avatar Comment 22 by Mark Till

Re. 20 -

I know, very annoying to hear Maher agree with that. Atheism isn't an extreme position at all. Not only is there no reason to suppose any religion true, there are plenty of reasons (scientific, historical, philosophical, logical) to suppose all religions false. This isn't a 50/50. It isn't a case of shrugging one's shoulders and saying, "Well, we don't really know..."

Such supernatural claims have no foundation of any kind. Rejecting them is not even a strong position, let alone an extreme one.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:07:00 UTC | #221217

Vaal's Avatar Comment 23 by Vaal

I would define atheism as a rejection of supernaturalism.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:14:00 UTC | #221221

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 24 by Dr. Strangegod

The comic book comments are a lot more right on than many may think. Maher may or may not be aware that he is making a basic point about serial narrative structure. Every time Batman takes down the Joker, he goes to Arkham for awhile, and then escapes and tries a different scheme. It is a story without end. Same for Superman/Luthor, X-Men/Magneto, Spider-Man/Doc Oc, etc. The only difference between the powerful fictions of comics and the powerful fictions of religion are that the former are overtly fictional and no one is expected to assume that they are descriptions of reality. Religions portray their narratives as actual people and events, placing them higher on the power scale, but I question whether the power of literal belief is necessary to absorb the moral lessons of any narrative. Batman is not real, but his legend has great moral significance.

EDIT: Also I should note that my final internal decision that there was in fact no God came around the same time I decided that I was in fact not Wolverine. Somewhere around age 8.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:21:00 UTC | #221224

Mark Till's Avatar Comment 25 by Mark Till

24. -

I too thought the comic book analogy perceptive. God and Satan (Heaven and Hell) are just as self-supporting in a religious narrative as Batman and the Joker are in the narrative of The Dark Knight (which is a stunning film, by the way).

And that's not the only similarity, either...

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:52:00 UTC | #221233

A guy named Joe's Avatar Comment 26 by A guy named Joe

Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw Bill Maher on stage last week in Ann Arbor, much of his Larry King interview was from his act. On Larry King, you get sound bites, on stage for 90 minutes, he elaborates much more, swears more also. Overall, he is very on target. He prefers "rationalist" to "atheist". That makes sense. His anti-pharmaceutical opinions are really against the abuses by the pharmaceutical companies (I'm a physician--I agree with him, we push too many drugs and not enough common sense). He is a member of PETA, but thinks animals in zoos might have a better life than in the wild.

If you get a chance to see his stand-up, most on this page would enjoy.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:06:00 UTC | #221289

CruciFiction's Avatar Comment 27 by CruciFiction

To meet the Academy's rule stating that non-fiction films must screen for one week in a commercial theater in both New York and L.A. in order to qualify for a Best Documentary nomination,

RELIGULOUS IS PLAYING ON Thursday, August 21 at:

Creative Entertainment Coliseum Quad
703 West 181st Street, New York, NY10034

(212) 740-1545

Showtimes: 1pm & 3pm

Also at:

Laemmle's Claremont 5
450 West 2nd Street, Claremont, CA 91711

Showtimes: 1pm & 3pm

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:16:00 UTC | #221348

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 28 by Diacanu

Hey, Crucifiction, howcome your Dawkins videos have your name pop up throughout?

That some kind of anti-theft watermark or something?

It's mildly irritating.
You timed it to be between chapter lulls, so it didn't take me out of it or nothing, but I'm just saying...

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:20:00 UTC | #221352

CruciFiction's Avatar Comment 29 by CruciFiction

Diacanu,

Heh, it is not "anti-theft". I will PM.

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:12:00 UTC | #221380

crazy4blues's Avatar Comment 30 by crazy4blues

Great clip! I nominate Bill Maher, Penn Jillete, Lewis Black, and George Carlin (in absentia, of course) as The Four Horsemen of Comedy!

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #221381