← Better Know a Lobby - Atheism

Better Know a Lobby - Atheism - Comments

Quine's Avatar Comment 1 by Quine

Steve's argument about what Atheists yell during sex beats anything I have ever heard from any theologian.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:58:00 UTC | #227640

m-man's Avatar Comment 2 by m-man

i love colbert, and i know its comedy, but i wish he would have let her talk more.. or at all.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:58:00 UTC | #227641

Edamus's Avatar Comment 3 by Edamus

Oh, Charles Darwin!

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:09:00 UTC | #227648

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 4 by NewEnglandBob

Look again at the video - When Colbert looks down, his receding hairline on the sides, more than the middle makes him look like he has devil's horns!

Colbert is unique in his humor. You can't help smiling, if not outright belly laughing.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #227650

MikedubB's Avatar Comment 5 by MikedubB

Letting her have any control in the interview would have put her above all the other lobbyists that he has lambasted. I thought it was comedic gold.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:11:00 UTC | #227651

J Mac's Avatar Comment 6 by J Mac

"Letting her have any control in the interview would have put her above all the other lobbyists"

True, but a bit sad that the only fair and unbiased political reports in america are on comedy central.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:15:00 UTC | #227652

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 7 by Richard Dawkins

"Oh Charles Darwin".
"Oh Science".

Tell me honestly, does anybody really find that funny? Or is it just that you kind of know it is SUPPOSED to be funny and therefore you kind of think well, perhaps it is funny? Like South Park. Not witty, not clever, but you know it is SUPPOSED to be funny, so you'd better say how hilarious it is or you won't be cool?

Well, I think "Oh Science" is neither funny nor unfunny but sort of, well, nothing really.

And as for singing "God Bless America" all the way through! Wouldn't a couple of lines have sufficed? Did anybody else get a sort of rising feeling of squirming embarrassment as he just kept on to the end? If he was trying to embarrass her because she didn't want to join in, he probably succeeded, but what's the point?

Richard

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:28:00 UTC | #227663

J Mac's Avatar Comment 8 by J Mac

"And as for singing "God Bless America" all the way through!..."

A couple lines certainly could make a point if that was his intent. But plowing through the whole thing is the type of over reacting, over done work that Steven is known for.

I certainly don't think his humor is for everyone. But personally I find him quite entertaining.

Similarly with the "Oh Darwin" joke, its not funny in itself, but Steven's delivery of it makes it good for a laugh for some.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:33:00 UTC | #227668

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 9 by Diacanu

Richard Dawkins-

"Oh Charles Darwin".
"Oh Science".

Tell me honestly, does anybody really find that funny?

Well, yeah, a little.
It was funnier when Bill Hicks did it, and used "big bang", and "chemical chance", but, meh, whatever.

Well, I think it is neither funny nor unfunny but sort of, well, nothing really.

And as for singing "God Bless America" all the way through! Wouldn't a couple of lines have sufficed. Did anybody else get a sort of rising feeling of embarrassment as he just kept on to the end?

You were kinda supposed to.
I think that was the gag.
Remember, he's doing a parody of a conservative pundit, and never breaks character, and that's the kind of crap they do.

Me, I think it's a crappy song, so it makes me uncomfortable anyway.
But, that could be a another layer to it.

I more laughed at the little "key change", "here's where you come in", bits.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:37:00 UTC | #227670

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 10 by Matt H.

"Oh Charles Darwin".
"Oh Science".

Richard

Definitely not my type of humour. I think it's all a bit pathetic really.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:41:00 UTC | #227675

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 11 by Diacanu

Matt-

*Smirk* apple polisher.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:43:00 UTC | #227677

J Mac's Avatar Comment 12 by J Mac

Personally I compare Steven Colbert's comic style to Steve Martin. Neither of them are known for great lines or great jokes, but rather the delivery and the whole hearted commitment to a completely ridiculous sketch without a moment of doubt or hesitation.

Perhaps the greatest laugh I have ever had was in the movie "My Blue Heaven" where Steve Martin does the joke "What's the difference between a light bulb and a pregnant lady? ..." And old joke that has never been that funny, but I nearly fell out of my chair when he did it.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:46:00 UTC | #227681

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 14 by Diacanu

J Mac-
post 12

Agreed.

Also, the reactions he gets out of people, and then how he plays with that are great.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:48:00 UTC | #227684

J Mac's Avatar Comment 13 by J Mac

Steven Colbert, Steve Martin, and Diacanu...

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:48:00 UTC | #227683

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 15 by Diacanu

J Mac-
post 13

Aw, shucks. :P

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:51:00 UTC | #227686

Ex~'s Avatar Comment 16 by Ex~

What do you think of the fact that a belief in God has led to some of mankinds most stunning achievements

*she nods*

>>WHAT. WHAT??? This is our secular coalition leader? A belief in God didn't lead to any of those great achievements! Amazing talented artists led to those achievements! HUMANITY led to those achievements!

Well there's [sic] a lot of artists who are not religious.

Name one.

Ehmmm... there's a list that I have in my office.

What a shame,

I'm not remember...

What a shame it's up in your office. Looks like I won.

Was Picasso an atheist?

That's your example?

If you take a visit to the museum of modern art --

The guy didn't know how many tatas to put on a lady's torso. Okay? "Yeah throw one over there throw one over there." I'll tell you one thing, God knows where that stuff goes, 'cause he put it there.

When it comes out right I mean there are people who are born with various other...

>>WHAT THE FUCK? This is our secular coalition leader? Who's defending Picasso's abstract art by claiming he was painting pictures of hermaphrodites or "intersexual" people???

Wow. She severely disappointed me.

Colbert was hilarious, though.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:52:00 UTC | #227688

J Mac's Avatar Comment 17 by J Mac

Ex~

Perhaps she isn't the MOST eloquent and quick witted atheist out there, but she is a lobbyist not a professional debater, giver her a little slack.

Colbert is good at what he does, and what he does is tear apart any person who he interviews. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that Colbert could not pwn on his own show.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:56:00 UTC | #227692

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 19 by Dhamma

Richard:

Yes, he is embarrassing, but it's a preferred taste. I can understand those who like him, even though I find him very annoying. However, watching this I came to the conclusion he's probably an atheist actually, he just wanted to joke around with her. Quite disrespectfully though.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:57:00 UTC | #227695

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 18 by Richard Dawkins

I think Steven Colbert can sometimes be funny. Just not on this occasion. I only wanted to call attention to a tendency for some people to PRETEND to find something funny, almost as a DUTY, whether it is really funny or not, simply because they feel it is expected of them. I felt it strongly over that childish film clip called 'Beware the Believers' or some such name. Lots of people chimed in with words like 'hilarious', simply because it seemed to be EXPECTED of them. It's SUPPOSED to be funny, so surely it must BE funny! I just think we should be more critical. Some things that are supposed to be funny fail in their ambition.

Richard

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:57:00 UTC | #227694

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 21 by Peacebeuponme

Richard Dawkins

Actually South Park can be very clever. Many episodes have contained some quite brilliant pieces of social commentary or media attacks.

The episode which uses an elementary school head boy election as a commentary on the last US election, which also puts Rosie O'Donnell in her place, springs immediately to mind.

I suspect you haven't been able to get past the purile elements, which I also find clever in their own way.

But then I see nothing funny in Pat Condell's youtube videos, unlike you, so I guess we all have our own preferred style of humour.
I think Steven Colbert can sometimes be funny. Just not on this occasion.
I agree with this though.
And this.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:00:00 UTC | #227700

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 20 by mordacious1

So when Brown says that Irving Berlin was a nontheist, and Colbert is "shocked" and says he was Jewish, "Are you saying Jews don't believe in god?". Brown replies that she thinks he was a secularist Jew. To which Colbert says, "He wrote 'White Christmas'". So does this mean Jews believe in christ? Funny, but stupid at the same time.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:00:00 UTC | #227698

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 23 by DamnDirtyApe

Eh, mildy amusing, but not as good as the episode of 'Mock the week' I just watched on iplayer.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:01:00 UTC | #227702

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 22 by Richard Dawkins

Colbert was hilarious, though.

"Hilarious?" Really? Name one "hilarious" thing he said. Just because he is SUPPOSED to be funny doesn't mean he IS funny on all occasions, let alone "hilarious".

Richard

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:01:00 UTC | #227701

zendal's Avatar Comment 24 by zendal

Sure it's funny. The problem with parody is that it can be too close to the truth for it to be funny.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:02:00 UTC | #227705

Quine's Avatar Comment 25 by Quine

<!-- Be sure tags are closed -->Kidding aside, what people yell during sex, and why, is an interesting scientific question (relates to what parts of the brain get control during what situations). Perhaps it is something the Kinsey Institute could take up in future research. I can't translate "Oh God!" into all mammalian species, but I have certainly heard it enough from cats.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:03:00 UTC | #227706

Forti's Avatar Comment 26 by Forti

I think even I could have done better than that lady.

By the way, can anyone name any famous atheist artists? Not that it matters, but it's an interesting question. (P.S. Give me a few years and I'll be one!)

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #227714

J Mac's Avatar Comment 27 by J Mac

Quine, your personal affiliations with cats has no business being on this site.

:o)

Sorry couldn't resist that one.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:14:00 UTC | #227715

Nuspirit's Avatar Comment 28 by Nuspirit

Just wanted to further emphasize this since a lot of people seem to forget/overlook this rather essential fact to understanding any of Colbert's comedy (singing God Bless America all the way through being a good example of this).

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:17:00 UTC | #227718

Yadsmood's Avatar Comment 29 by Yadsmood

Richard,

I didn't like this Colbert video, but I thought the "Beware the Believers" video GENUINELY funny. So did many people. We really did find it hilarious. It had nothing to do with perceived obligation.

Your insistence that we must be disingenuous is hard to understand. I can only assume that due to your age, you simply don't "get" the humour.

I suggest you drop this line of objection, as it makes you appear sore and stuck-up.

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:18:00 UTC | #227719

Quine's Avatar Comment 30 by Quine

Wasn't that already going about informed consent on one of the ethics threads?

Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:19:00 UTC | #227721