← Sherri Shepherd, Bill Maher Spar Over God: Bill Tells Sherri She Should Go To Psych Ward

Sherri Shepherd, Bill Maher Spar Over God: Bill Tells Sherri She Should Go To Psych Ward - Comments

Awesome's Avatar Comment 1 by Awesome

Why am I not surprised that this is coming from Ms. The Earth is Flat?

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:26:00 UTC | #244253

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 2 by alabasterocean

Mr Mahers documentary (trailer) about religion:

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:29:00 UTC | #244254

selucidantiochus's Avatar Comment 3 by selucidantiochus

What is bellview? a mental hospital?

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:29:00 UTC | #244255

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 4 by Diacanu

selucidantiochus-

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:34:00 UTC | #244256

Logicel's Avatar Comment 5 by Logicel

Bellevue is the oldest public hospital in America and located in NYC. It is well known for many things, including its psychiatric facilities.

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:46:00 UTC | #244259

kaiser's Avatar Comment 6 by kaiser

Jon Stewart had Bill Maher on last night.

Really enjoyed it and it seems (what I always supposed) that Jon is an atheist too.

Now the religious nutcases are posting in the forums http://forum.thedailyshow.com/tds/board?board.id=13123 saying the usual stuff like:
- atheism is a religion too
- proofs for god
- pascals wager
- Einstein believed in god
- Bill will go to hell
- why are atheists trying to convert everybody...

just all the old arguments.

My english is not good enough, or I would crash arguments like these:

Since the Word of God (the 66 books of the Bible), which is not an unreasonable claim, tells us that if you search God out with all your heart and soul, you shall surely find Him, the reason why Bill is mindlessly agnostic is because he is too selfish to search God out with an honest heart. So he self-exalts himself as an agnostic despite the proof for God which I like to call the 4 Step Proof for God and which Bill can't find fault with. An honest person goes where the evidence leads him.

4 Step Proof for God (4SPFG),
4 Step Minimal Facts Approach (4SMFA) &
Observe also TAO4C

Notice the non-Christian (a) shuts his mind down, (b) misreads the Bible, (c) avoids dealing with and is (d) unable to disprove the 4 Step Proof for God or the Minimal Facts Approach which, therefore, remain unchallenged. To them we say, "In the name of Jesus Christ, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead in none other is there salvation: for neither is there any other name under heaven, that is given among men, wherein we must be saved" (Acts 4.10,12). May you experience the love and joy and peace of God completely proving His existence as shown in the Perfect Proof for God and the Minimal Facts Approach. These prove the resurrection of Jesus and that He is God. If you choose to refuse the forgiveness of the salvation of Christ on the cross, you will be resurrected for Hell. Jesus said, "I assure you, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life" (John 5.24) which implies some shall be condemned and eternally separated from God.

4 Step Perfect Proof for God of the Bible (4SPFG)
1. Exponential progression of conscience disallows an eternity of the past of cause and effects in the natural realm since you would not still be sinning by now. Therefore, the uncreated created who is God of the Bible ONLY since none can compare to Christ.
2. Nothing in the universe is without a cause. Therefore, the uncreated creator is the only known available possibility who is God of the Bible since none can compare to Christ.
3. Don't argue against a quality of some god that is not the quality of God of the Bible, otherwise you are arguing not against God of the Bible but something else. (It is necessary to point this out because this problem of misreading the Bible happens so often.)
4. Exponential progression of conscience disallows the eternity of the past of cause and effects in the supernatural (the supernatural was proven to exist in Step 1 and 2) since you would not still be sinning by now. Ergo, the uncreated creator created who is God of the Bible because none can compare to Christ.

4 Step Minimal Facts Approach, Proving the Resurrection of Jesus and that He is God (4SMFA)
1. 95 to 99.9% of scholars in the past half century (we know this because we counted them) agree Paul really wrote and really believed what he wrote in 1 Cor. 15 and Gal. 1 & 2.
2. In these 3 chapters, Paul said he met with Peter, James (brother of Jesus) and John on several occasions in which the first meeting was with Peter and James within 5 years of Jesus' death on the cross, and they all agreed to the reason for being the eyewitness testimonies to the bodily resurrection of Jesus.
3. People do not go to their deaths as martyrs if they don't believe in what they are doing. The apostles really believed they saw, talked with, touched, walked with and ate with the resurrected Jesus which convinced them He is God when before they were doubters.
4. If no naturalistic theory can account for witnessing the bodily resurrection of Jesus, very probably it is true then they saw Jesus resurrected which shows He created us, He is uncreated and salvation is through Him. Therefore, Hell would be needed for the unsaved to keep them eternally separated from God's own people.

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:51:00 UTC | #244262

Heretic's Avatar Comment 7 by Heretic

Does somebody in the audience strangle a cat on part 2 at 6min52sec?

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:52:00 UTC | #244263

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 8 by huzonfurst

My soft-on-religion girlfriend called to tell me about this so I got to watch it as it happened, and Bill was hilarious (she didn't watch it though 'cause straight talk about religion makes her cogitive dissonance set in).

Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:55:00 UTC | #244266

Tumara Baap's Avatar Comment 9 by Tumara Baap

About the most distressing thing in the interview was the whoop and clapping from the audience following the inane question about asking God what he thinks. It's chilling to think what sort of world these minds dwell in, what sort of questions they feel are incisive, what sort of stuff they're titillated by...

Glad this interview was done for this audience. It sickens me how many women get fuzzy over Jesus despite the fact this is one group that has been historically most subjugated by the clutches of religion. Perhaps a comedian is needed to pave the way for someone like Annie Gaylor to give these pious women a real education on the abyss they've been pulled out of by freethinkers like Elizabeth Stanton, Frances Wright and Margaret Sanger.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:04:00 UTC | #244269

selucidantiochus's Avatar Comment 10 by selucidantiochus

Cheers (Diacanu, Logicel) it made sense that it was but I like to be sure.

I have met thousands of Americans here in Europe in half a dozen countries, but have never met one quite like that lady, they all seemed mostly to be well educated and pretty lucid.(All though I understand that the fact I met them here in Europe plays a role in that).

What I don't understand is why are there so few of the lucid Americans on mainstream US shows and so many like this crazy lady? Perhaps you have an opinion.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:05:00 UTC | #244270

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 11 by Diacanu

selucidantiochus-

Well....it's tricky to explain all the factors without ending up writing a whole book on the subject, but I think it mostly boils down to money.

Stupid crazy people are catered to as a demographic by advertisers, because stupid people are easier to hypnotize with advertising.

I think most Americans have some lick of sense, religious or not, but this moronic lunatic minority gets catered to.

Why? Makes money.
Smart people don't listen to bullshit.
That's a frustrating thing for a salesman.

So, that's why American television gives such a distorted reflection.
It's what corporations want America to think of itself.
It's kind of an open display of their contempt for us.

That's my theory, anyway.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:18:00 UTC | #244272

the way's Avatar Comment 12 by the way

Comment #257690 by selucidantiochus

why are there so few of the lucid Americans on mainstream US shows

There's no business like Show business!

(Look at Tom Cruise!)

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:20:00 UTC | #244274

Mayhemm's Avatar Comment 13 by Mayhemm

I love Bill Maher. His views on religion and politics mirror my own exactly. He's a little radical on health and medicine, but I respect those opinions too.

I've never seen The View before. Do they always segregate themselves according to the issues they discuss like they did here when they used Maher as a divider?

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:22:00 UTC | #244276

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 14 by Diacanu

Mayhemm-

It used to be more fluffball, and cordial, and still sort of is when a fluffball celebrity is on, but the fracas that drove Rosie O' Donnell off, and the addition of those two christian bimbos has sort of made things increasingly tense.

I don't really watch the show, I follow it in the headlines when some major cast change after a big catfight goes down.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:25:00 UTC | #244278

GordonYKWong's Avatar Comment 15 by GordonYKWong

"...have you ever just talked to God, and asked God what does he thinks?"

"Yes I have talked to God, and He said He thinks we should stop eating any form of pasta for it is a sin to consume the likeness of his noodly image... Praise be to FSM"

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:26:00 UTC | #244280

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 16 by Quetzalcoatl

"Yes, I have spoken to THE LORD, and by an amazing coincidence THE LORD told me that everything I believed before I spoke to THE LORD is exactly correct. I don't need to change my mind about anything, because THE LORD told me so. Praise be to THE LORD!"

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:30:00 UTC | #244282

selucidantiochus's Avatar Comment 18 by selucidantiochus

(To Diacanu)

That makes alot of sense to me. In media at least here in the UK we tend to copy much of what you do, perhaps this is our future also? I hope not, but I think I can already see it happening. Lets just hope the BBC can keep some integrity, in its documentaries at least, but even there its doubtful. It seems its going to get progressively harder to find intelectually challanging tv, perhaps I may have to start reading books OH NO NOT PERSONAL EFFORT haha

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:33:00 UTC | #244284

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 17 by Mark Jones

That was very funny; 'Hey, Jesus, I'm sending you on a suicide mission. But don't worry, they can't kill you, because you're me!'

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:33:00 UTC | #244283

nickthelight's Avatar Comment 19 by nickthelight

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:33:00 UTC | #244285

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 20 by Diacanu

Yeah, he said, "pray and cry all you want, I'll just make your grandmother's cancer gnaw on her even faster harder. And not because of any genius plan or design, I'm just a sick evil fuck! Hahahahaaa!!!".

At least, that's what I interpreted the silence to mean.

Hey, don't diss projecting things onto silence, it worked for C.S. Lewis, and christians think he's fuckin' brilliant.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:35:00 UTC | #244286

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 21 by Diacanu

selucidantiochus-

I think a mitigating factor for you guys, is you guys have to pay a TV license, right?

Although, you still have some advertising.

The idea of having a payed fee for TV to get rid of commercials was floated back in the early 60's I think, but clearly it didn't take.

And cable TV was supposed to get rid of commercials.
That's what fucking cable bills were supposed to do.
How did advertising get on cable?
*Shrug* they just wanted the money.
No good argument for it, they just wanted it, and lobbied, and got it.
This shit never wins a fair argument, it's always just "give it to me it's MINE!!! Give to me, it's MINE!!!".

Sure enough, you watch, satellite radio is currently payed for solely by member subscriptions, but advertising will muscle its way onto their airwaves.
Just watch, they'll get their way.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:42:00 UTC | #244287

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 22 by Diacanu

nickthelight-

Sorry for this but...Who is the woman the right? wow.

Which one?

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:46:00 UTC | #244290

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 23 by fsm1965

i always thought advertising distorts the views expressed, and limits debate cuz the advertisers dont wanna be associated with nasty/unpleasant stuff, without even getting into news stories being pulled by faux news cuz it upset an advertiser..

plus its annoying when an emotional scene is interrupted by an ad for mcd's etc.

btw: the lady on the right looks tasty, but if she spouts fundieism, that's a complete no-no [/sexist remarks]

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:53:00 UTC | #244291

notsobad's Avatar Comment 24 by notsobad

The clips are swapped.

Maher was right about the hospital call. If it wasn't for religion, most people would send you to a psychiatrist if you hear voices in your head.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:56:00 UTC | #244292

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 25 by Diacanu

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 01:03:00 UTC | #244294

Thor's Avatar Comment 26 by Thor

nickthelight,

Her name is Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Rather right-wing in most of her views but admittedly VERY attractive

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 01:55:00 UTC | #244301

selucidantiochus's Avatar Comment 27 by selucidantiochus

(to diacanu)

Pirates and thieves often win, they just want it more :P

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 01:58:00 UTC | #244304

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 28 by fsm1965

Thanks Thor for ruining another pretty face ;)

Is it a pre-requisite to being attractive that you have to spout right-wing trash?

[/daft questions]

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:02:00 UTC | #244308

King of NH's Avatar Comment 29 by King of NH

I actually liked the question about asking God what he thinks. I fully agree, that would answer a lot. Of course, I disagree on why it's a good idea.

I did notice that The View's Palin supporters believe the 6000 year old earth was flooded by a loving god killing all life except the millions of creatures rounded up by a 900 year old man and kept on the ancient world's largest boat built by only 3 people where the creatures survived for months with no need for food because this is the best way the creator of the universe can solve crime problems.

Just admitting you believe such a story should be the first of 12 steps, not cause for applause.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:19:00 UTC | #244315

GBile's Avatar Comment 30 by GBile

Maher:

.. as a kid, whatever they do to you, you accept ...

All the ladies agreed on this !

But still they don't seem to be able to apply this to their own religious indoctrination.

Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:30:00 UTC | #244318