← New Rules for Sarah Palin and Her Witchdoctor

New Rules for Sarah Palin and Her Witchdoctor - Comments

Caudimordax's Avatar Comment 1 by Caudimordax

He nailed it - glad lots of people will now see the witch doctor clip.

Edit: Can't wait to see the re-run of this whole episode tomorrow night.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:00:00 UTC | #246901

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 2 by Swordmaiden

Brilliant. I love this and hope it gets seen across America....before it's too late!
The more times Sarah Palin's religious beliefs are pointed out and ridiculed the more the everyday, non-religious Americans will get the message.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:05:00 UTC | #246905

Thirst4knowledge's Avatar Comment 3 by Thirst4knowledge

I know some people don't like Bill Maher but sometimes he really hits the nail on the head.
Makes me laugh anyway.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:10:00 UTC | #246906

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 4 by alabasterocean

Yeah, who did not like Mr Maher? Ehh? ;)

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:15:00 UTC | #246909

j.mills's Avatar Comment 5 by j.mills

Yuck. Not that he's wrong, but he's smug and laughs at his own jokes, and like much American TV, he's buoyed up by an audience of irritating sycophants.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:28:00 UTC | #246915

Ex~'s Avatar Comment 6 by Ex~

I never found Maher that amusing, but lately he's been great. Who knows, I may even see his movie.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:34:00 UTC | #246918

Notcrowingbutyawning's Avatar Comment 7 by Notcrowingbutyawning

Isn't it more likely he's laughing at the joke-writers' jokes, having just read them? This is American TV afterall. But, that nail remains very firmly hit does it not?

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:42:00 UTC | #246920

artemisa's Avatar Comment 8 by artemisa

Bill is absolutely fantastic and funny. Both thumbs up.
He's doing a great job pointing out the stupidity of some beliefs

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:02:00 UTC | #246931

artemisa's Avatar Comment 9 by artemisa

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:06:00 UTC | #246934

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 10 by dochmbi

Bill Maher, champion of Antireligion.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:10:00 UTC | #246936

HourglassMemory's Avatar Comment 11 by HourglassMemory

Here's a recent interview with him and Larry Charles on "The Hour", a show where both Dawkins and Hitchens have been on.

Bill gets serious and honest close to the end of the interview.
It's great to see him going around for the non believing point of view.

I hope his film inspires even more documentaries and films to come out.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:16:00 UTC | #246942

Logicel's Avatar Comment 12 by Logicel

I am also not a Maher fan, but lately he has been on a roll. And I will try to catch his film.

Maher needs to find out that atheism means lack of belief in gods--apparently he thinks an atheist is sure in knowing that there is no gods (and for this reason he equates atheists with theists in the hubris department). He does not seem to be aware that atheists can be agnostics. Does Maher believe in gods? I doubt he does, so he is an atheist, an agnostic one.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:16:00 UTC | #246944

Machinus's Avatar Comment 13 by Machinus

Agnosticism is NOT a philosophically defensible position for ANY of the religions on Earth. He is just pandering to spiritualism. He should say the truth, which is not that he is undecided about the gods of human creation, but that he knows they are myths and the way he knows is from simple empirical methods.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:27:00 UTC | #246946

markg's Avatar Comment 15 by markg

11 comment by HgM

Judging from the interview in that link I think Bill is an atheist. He just does not like the word itself, much like Sam Harris, and prefers 'rationalist'.
He says, "...in the U.S. congress there are 535 members and not one atheist. We're not represented."

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:41:00 UTC | #246951

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 14 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

Maher is uncompromising in speaking his mind. And by the way did anyone see his interview with Bob Woodward on the same show?
Any thoughts on the military advance (the success of which is responsible for the reduction of violence in Iraq attributed to the surge) that Woodward has compared to the advent of the tank? The stuff military novels are written about? Another Manhattan project? All the ideas I have about it I discount because none quite fit the descriptions Woodward gives. And as an aside, what a shameless publicity stunt by woodward, but my curiosity has been piqued.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:41:00 UTC | #246950

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 16 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Agnostics are those people who have no idea who is going to win when Manchester United play Port Vale.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:53:00 UTC | #246958

room101's Avatar Comment 17 by room101

I saw Religulous last night here in San Diego, CA.

Very, very good - and very funny. It is truly amazing to see people that Maher interviews who claim to be religious and claim to understand the tenants of their religion, but when asked to explain any them they stumble and bumble and fall flat on their arses.

What was most encouraging, however, was that the theater was packed. There were people sitting in the aisle rows, against the walls along the sides, and in the back of the theater. And the audience appeared to vary in age range, as well. Also, there were many, many outbursts of laughter. And why not? This movie is a comedy and the subject matter basically writes itself.

I only wish Maher could edit the movie to include clips of Palin (such as the one above).

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:54:00 UTC | #246959

MCK's Avatar Comment 18 by MCK

Its hard to believe but she is more stupid than Bush

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:57:00 UTC | #246962

Badger3k's Avatar Comment 19 by Badger3k

Maher is not really too knowledgeable about a lot of things. His confusion of atheism with what is more or less a "strong atheistic" position of denial rather than lack of belief is one part. His anti-vax lunacy is another. I think there are more crazy beliefs he has, but I am not sure, so I'll stop with the two that I am aware of.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 13:11:00 UTC | #246971

Thurston's Avatar Comment 20 by Thurston

Good to see Alec Baldwin on Bill Maher's show again. Isn't he one of the sensible Baldwins, i.e. not Stephen.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 13:48:00 UTC | #246997

mdowe's Avatar Comment 21 by mdowe

Unfortunately there is a sizeable voting block in the USA that will see Sarah Palin's witchcraft exorcism and consider it a good thing, and a boon to her electability.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 13:49:00 UTC | #246998

Uhtred's Avatar Comment 22 by Uhtred

Marvelous stuff...

What on earth has America become?

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 13:57:00 UTC | #247001

LeeC's Avatar Comment 23 by LeeC

Ivan The Not So Bad wrote:

Would it be wrong for me to prayer for Port Vale? (Actually, I thought they got QPR in the league cup?...)

I will be praying for Burnley to beat Chelsea myself...

Lee

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:18:00 UTC | #247011

MrPickwick's Avatar Comment 24 by MrPickwick

Anybody knows the source of that Jesus quote from Palin?

btw, I have just downloaded the torrent of Religulous (I'm from Europe, I cannot wait) but.... it's a bunch of password protected rar files. Any other way to get that movie?

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:35:00 UTC | #247020

ThoughtsonCommonToad's Avatar Comment 25 by ThoughtsonCommonToad

Hey don't do down Port Vale. Take a look at this

Port Vale 3 - 2 Manchester United.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:35:00 UTC | #247021

notsobad's Avatar Comment 26 by notsobad

Great as usual.
He is the best substitute for Carlin there is at the moment (IMO).

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:38:00 UTC | #247023

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 27 by Cartomancer

Pretend country... tee hee.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:51:00 UTC | #247035

Contrivanced's Avatar Comment 28 by Contrivanced

Unfortunately my comment won't have much validity because I can't remember his name but...
A 'well know person here' didn't even make funeral arrangements because he believed so strongly that Jesus would return in his lifetime.
I'm sure if he had a red button on his last day he would have pushed it.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:06:00 UTC | #247047

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 29 by Fouad Boussetta

We saw Religulous yesterday with my spouse, and we really liked it. Very funny and very witty. Carefully made. And I'm difficult to impress!
So I really recommend it.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:51:00 UTC | #247081

ICONIC FREEDOM's Avatar Comment 30 by ICONIC FREEDOM

My friends and I saw the film just now and enjoyed it. Very funny and disturbing at the same time! LOL!

The only feedback is that while I agree that the religious "right" are dangerous, Bill did not offer any of the dangerous Liberation Theology that plagued the Obama campaign, any of the Wright videos or commentary on such.

This brings into question the self-interest of Bill and his inability to be unbiased. Although he has no committment to be unbiased, then one can only question his credibility.

Both sides of the political spectrum have used religion to further their political gains, their moralization of society and their absconding of freedoms.

While I understand this site is democratic/liberal biased, it ought be in ALL of our self-interests to speak out and denounce ALL those who believe this tripe of religion, no matter the party, no matter the person, no matter the gain.

You either are against this issues being propagated in our society or you are not.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:03:00 UTC | #247089