← Ricky Gervais and The Archbishop Of Canterbury

Ricky Gervais and The Archbishop Of Canterbury - Comments

tkdvipers's Avatar Comment 1 by tkdvipers

I found that very nice to listen to.

I really like Rowan Williams, he reminds me of the narrator of a story tape I used to listen to at bed time as a kid.

I find Ricky Gervais very funny but also he has a good knowledge of basic science and philosophy, if you listen to his early radio shows you can sometimes hear him digress into this.

A very light exchange but good to hear none the less.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:05:00 UTC | #250881

LaurenceH86's Avatar Comment 2 by LaurenceH86

good chat, quite enjoyed Rowan's contribution

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:06:00 UTC | #250883

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 3 by Quetzalcoatl

Light-hearted and fun to listen to. Most of the time I quite like Rowan Williams, he comes across well here.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:07:00 UTC | #250884

Daydream Believer's Avatar Comment 4 by Daydream Believer

Father Christmas does generate a moral code albeit a simple one that kids can understand (be good or you won't get any pressies) - on the other hand, Christianity says "be good or you won't get in to heaven" - pretty similar wouldn't you say.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:13:00 UTC | #250886

SteveN's Avatar Comment 5 by SteveN

I too have a soft spot for the Archbishop of Canterbury, mainly because I feel rather sorry for him. He's head of the CofE (apart from Her Majesty, that is) and is clearly an intelligent man, and he always tries to be reasonable, but isn't it a bit embarrassing that a man in his position and education is made to look so desparate in a conversation with Ricky Gervais*?

*Who, I must say, I admire immensely. I literally cried with laughter watching his stand-up bit about the Garden of Eden and his dissection of 'Humpty Dumpty'.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:36:00 UTC | #250895

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 6 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

That was top shelf. I've always liked Gervais and now even more. :D

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:38:00 UTC | #250896

mbobo's Avatar Comment 7 by mbobo

A bit more unnerving are those who dwell a bit too much on "The Simpsons" to begin with...

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:42:00 UTC | #250898

amalthea's Avatar Comment 8 by amalthea

Does anyone else think Rowan Williams sounds like the younger brother of Christopher Lee?

OK, just me then. Great voice though.

On topic though, It's typical of us Brits to take religion as a joke, both sides not getting too involved but happy to banter, especially if the religion is Church of England tea-sipping. Then I remember that this is the same Rowan Williams who admitted that Shari'a law would become integrated into British Law at some point. Not good, DO NOT WANT.

A

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:43:00 UTC | #250900

gazzaofbath's Avatar Comment 9 by gazzaofbath

I'm not sure about Rowan Williams - he seems a nice kindly sort of gent, but I think he is deeply intellectualy confused, even more so than the creationist variety of christian.

I've heard the guy before, seemingly genuinely agonised that an interviewer can't grasp his inoffensive but fuzzy and shapeless version of his religion.

He exudes reasonableness but you never really know precisely where he stands on critical issues. It's tempting to feel sorry for the guy playing referee between the pro- and anti-gay branches of his church, his big issue at the moment. But if he had any firm beliefs he would nail his colours to the mast and say precisely where he stands rather than trying to mediate between two profoundly opposing strands who will never agree. Of course if they split off it would reduce the size significantly of his empire.

I think basically he is an agnostic but hasn't the intellectual courage to make that final step....

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:56:00 UTC | #250905

Eshto's Avatar Comment 10 by Eshto

HEY! WTF archbishop, why are you dissing Santa Claus?

Doesn't inspire morality? Hello, that's the whole point of it. "Don't fight with your brother or Santa will bring you both coal instead of presents". DUH!

Doesn't inspire art? Check out this masterpiece that I made at the age of four: http://eshto.deviantart.com/art/Eshto-age-4-98857756

EDIT: oops that's a snowman, but I definitely have one I made of Santa and his sleigh.

(You can be damn sure I made this depiction of my brother and me getting along so Santa would bring me presents)

Psshht. Santa owns Jesus any day.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:08:00 UTC | #250912

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 11 by bendigeidfran

That was pointless drivel by two smug self-worshippers. The Church of England has only recently sold it's millions of shares in the arms trade. That must be some disarming smile Rowan's got.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:15:00 UTC | #250915

8teist's Avatar Comment 12 by 8teist

Yeah, I`ll forgive them both for that rather inane exchange.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:25:00 UTC | #250922

Swordmaiden's Avatar Comment 13 by Swordmaiden

Santa v Jesus...hmm..well I never believed Jesus would bring me prezzies when I was a weeny child...but Santa I actually wrote letters to!And it worked! Prayers didn't get me anywhere with god.
Is religion just a "grown ups" Santa? Believe in me and you'll go to heaven? At least children grow out of it !
Ricky Gervais...love him!
The Bish? Feel sorry for him. He always sounds like he's secretly an Atheist but just reciting the god stuff cos its his job. His interview with RD on Enemies of Reason was quite pathetic...he's very good at the "flowery" talk. Bless him.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:33:00 UTC | #250924

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 14 by Rawhard Dickins

Rowan Williams doesn't know jack, yet he holds a highly influential position.

Let's see a sound argument from his side rather than the cosy, wishy-washy views he puts forward.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:57:00 UTC | #250934

BicycleRepairMan's Avatar Comment 15 by BicycleRepairMan

"Belief in Santa doesnt generate a moral code.."

Neither does belief in God, it seems to be innate.

"..it doesnt generate art, it doesnt generate imagination"

Well, thats not entirely true, there are movies, pictures, poems, songs, hymns, paintings, dances and all sorts of shit about santa, perhaps they arent anything fancy or "serious" like some of the god-inspired arts, but thats probably because noone over the age of 5 takes Santa seriously.

Nonetheless Mr.Williams, none of these 3 "arguments" are really arguments at all, even if they were all true, it wouldnt actually elevate the "Case for God" over the "Case for Santa". The two are still on EVEN GROUNDS. I know you dont think so, but nothing you, or any of your fellow believers have ever said, has ever been convincing enough for me to take God out of the Santa-category of things I dont believe in.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:33:00 UTC | #250947

Dr Technical's Avatar Comment 16 by Dr Technical

I have no respect at all for Rowan Williams, he is clearly deluded and the head of delusional society.

As for intelligence, well if my kids can understand "the who created God ?" question and he can't, well that sounds pretty thick to me.

Any one who is the head of a death cult that seeks to perpetuate its lies by indoctrinating children is a pretty odious person in my mind.

Oh, and if he was THAT worried about world debt and poverty, he could sell all the church's assets and help them that way.

I'm sorry, but the bloke is a grade A berk.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:47:00 UTC | #250951

tvictor's Avatar Comment 17 by tvictor

STUTTERING

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:56:00 UTC | #250955

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 18 by bendigeidfran

He doesn't need 6 minutes with a giggling Gervais and his christ-like forgiveness horseshit, he needs 6 minutes with Hitchens kicking him in the nuts. Metaphorically.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:00:00 UTC | #250957

Dr Technical's Avatar Comment 19 by Dr Technical

Hitchens would destroy him.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:13:00 UTC | #250963

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 20 by dochmbi

@14 There IS no sound argument he could put forth to begin with.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:33:00 UTC | #250968

Vinelectric's Avatar Comment 21 by Vinelectric

I like the "refusing to receive God's forgiveness".

Actually, I try hard not to feel deeply offended when someone insults your intelligence in this manner.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:05:00 UTC | #250971

Homo economicus's Avatar Comment 22 by Homo economicus

You can see them being flimed during the broadcast here:

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:15:00 UTC | #250973

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 23 by Apathy personified

Ha - Ricky Gervais is getting some use out of his philosophy degree then.

I particularly liked his remark at the end, 'What's he here to plug?'

AoC yet again manages to speak without saying anything - he gets tongue tied far too easily when people dare to question his belief or even
any aspect of it.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:31:00 UTC | #250976

Inferno's Avatar Comment 24 by Inferno

Vinelectric said:

I like the "refusing to receive God's forgiveness".

I would refuse it. I'm still angry about all those people he killed in the OT (not to mention the blameless animals in the flood). He should be seeking MY forgiveness!

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:55:00 UTC | #250999

notsobad's Avatar Comment 25 by notsobad

Belief in god doesn't generate a moral code.
It's just people writing down stories and, more importantly, rules to command others.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:14:00 UTC | #251001

christianapologetic's Avatar Comment 26 by christianapologetic

Its videos like this why atheists never get any repect. Because do to their overwhelming lack of morals, they take things too lightly. Even the creator of the Universe. How dispicable. Oh by the way...anyone want to answer the question as to why we're not giving birth to monkeys; or visa versa. Hmm, didnt think so.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:25:00 UTC | #251023

Elli's Avatar Comment 27 by Elli

christianapologetic, i dunno... Rowan Williams kinda looks like a monkey to me. Kinda thinks like one also.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:51:00 UTC | #251032

black wolf's Avatar Comment 28 by black wolf

#26
naw, you wouldn't understand. Pearls before swine and all that, or 'hate the willful ignorance, not the ignorant'.

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:00:00 UTC | #251034

8teist's Avatar Comment 29 by 8teist

christiana pologetic,

Because do to their overwhelming lack of morals, they take things too lightly.

Care to rephrase that in english?

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:24:00 UTC | #251038

Lev-CapeTown's Avatar Comment 30 by Lev-CapeTown

How clever you are!! what a thought provoking question.
<*end sarcasm>
That half witted question does not deserve the time it took your spiny little fingers to write it. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you are ignorant rather than a troll, so... that question has been answered many times before and if you do a little reading you might come up with the answer yourself. It's more gratifying that way. I will give you a HINT though. It doesn't involve the word create.... (except maybe when prefixed by pro-)

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:26:00 UTC | #251041